Harmony07
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,
I started my PhD project like 5 months ago. I am on probation period. So by May I will have a probationary review in which I have to provide a working plan of 3000 words and a sample chapter that is up to 10k words. The problem is my supervisors have been making me work on the 3k words which will not even be included in my thesis for months now and everytime I submit, they return it with loads of comments and stuff. It's just so frustrating 😖!
I have now less than two months to write the sample chapter. I can't even start now because I am still waiting for the 3k document with feedback to work on AGAIN!

my question is would 6 weeks be enough to draft the 10k chapter? and would it be okay to use the stuff in the 3k document to include in my literature review?

thank you in advance.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Harmony07)
Hi everyone,
I started my PhD project like 5 months ago. I am on probation period. So by May I will have a probationary review in which I have to provide a working plan of 3000 words and a sample chapter that is up to 10k words. The problem is my supervisors have been making me work on the 3k words which will not even be included in my thesis for months now and everytime I submit, they return it with loads of comments and stuff. It's just so frustrating 😖!
I have now less than two months to write the sample chapter. I can't even start now because I am still waiting for the 3k document with feedback to work on AGAIN!

my question is would 6 weeks be enough to draft the 10k chapter? and would it be okay to use the stuff in the 3k document to include in my literature review?

thank you in advance.
This might sound like a stupid question, but why haven't you been working on both the plan and chapter at the same time? What have you been doing while waiting for feedback on the plan?

If I were in your shoes, I'd get started on the chapter now, regardless of the status of your plan.
Harmony07
Rep:
?
My project idea has massively changed since the beginning and my supervisors kept telling me off starting the literature review until I do enough reading and finish the plan ( because according to them it will give me an idea what to include in the chapter). I'm mot doing anything at the moment been depressed in bed since yesterday ( I had the meeting yesterday). I'm just sitting and waiting to receive the draft with feedback to know where yo start again.
I'm afraid to start the chapter and they would just make me do it again and again like the plan 😖!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should be working on the two in parallel. It doesn't matter if your chapter says Black is White and eventually the 3k document says White is Black. You will have the majority of the material, you just have to reverse the argument.

It's only 13k words in total, that's less than a terms worth of undergrad essays. Break it up into bite-size chunks. A Chapter needs a 10% intro, 3 main arguments and a 10% conclusion. That's just about 2 x 1k pieces of work and 3 x 2.5k pieces of work = 5 weeks work.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need to start writing now, but you should have been writing both together. It is possible to get 10k done in 6 weeks but it will be hard for a first year and you need to start it ASAP. A key skill you will need to pick up along the course of a PhD is the ability to adapt what you are writing. It is rare that you need to wipe the slate clean and start again. Get stuff down, this is the most important bit. You can amend and switch it up according to feedback as you go along.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My project idea has massively changed since the beginning and my supervisors kept telling me off starting the literature review until I do enough reading and finish the plan ( because according to them it will give me an idea what to include in the chapter). I'm mot doing anything at the moment been depressed in bed since yesterday ( I had the meeting yesterday). I'm just sitting and waiting to receive the draft with feedback to know where yo start again.
I'm afraid to start the chapter and they would just make me do it again and again like the plan 😖!
It can seem very daunting when you are yet to start writing, but once you have, you'll feel better for it.

As other posters have said, get something down. You can always review it later.
Harmony07
Rep:
?
I still got lots of feedback, which means more work on that stupid document! it's frustrating. Hopefully I will start drafting my literature review soon next week!
thank you guys for your replies and your advice. Much appreciated !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (74)
64.35%
I don't have everything I need (41)
35.65%

Watched Threads