Housemates filmed my bedroom while I was out - is this legal?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all (please keep anon, as my housemates use TSR),

I'll start off by giving some context, I live with 5 other undergraduates in a shared house under a shared tenancy agreement. Us 3 guys are in the downstairs bedrooms, 3 girls are upstairs. Our landlord has a handful of houses in our area and uses a lettings manager to be as a point of call between us and him.

The manager said she was going to do a house inspection (yesterday), now obviously without responding to this email, I am happy for her to inspect my bedroom. I was at university during this inspection.

However, when she came around, she was displeased with the state of the downstairs bedrooms and communal areas. She then allowed the other girls who were in the house during the inspection into our bedrooms (there aren't locks on our door and it's a shared house/tenancy, but it's just common courtesy to not enter each other's bedrooms without their permission). Our bedrooms were untidy, but certainly no damages to the property or stains anywhere.

Now it has come to light that 2 of the female tenants took video recordings of our bedrooms and shared them with their friends via snapchat. Another tenant overheard this, we all met and he brought it up, and now 2 of them actively admitted to video recording our bedrooms without our knowledge/permission and mostly behind our backs (if it wasn't for another tenant overhearing them talking about it).

I feel like this is a gross invasion of my privacy and abuse of my trust to let the manager in to inspect it, not let other tenants in or to start recording. I am unsure of the privacy laws on this, but I want to consider what options I could take.

1) Is it worth reporting this to the university or the landlord? I feel like letting this go means I accept it, they can then use this footage to incriminate me in any damages/liabilities if deductions to our deposits were to be made. I think I need to make it clear to either the uni or landlord this is unacceptable, breach of my privacy and illegal.

2) I am unsure of the possibility of pursuing legal action, considering the UK now has vast data protection/privacy laws. The only evidence of footage being taken is by their admission which was heard by all 6 tenants, but is it even worth going down this route?

I would be grateful for any advice or opinions on the matter
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I'll start off by giving some context, I live with 5 other undergraduates in a shared house under a shared tenancy agreement. Us 3 guys are in the downstairs bedrooms, 3 girls are upstairs. Our landlord has a handful of houses in our area and uses a lettings manager to be as a point of call between us and him.

The manager said she was going to do a house inspection (yesterday), now obviously without responding to this email, I am happy for her to inspect my bedroom. I was at university during this inspection.

However, when she came around, she was displeased with the state of the downstairs bedrooms and communal areas. She then allowed the other girls who were in the house during the inspection into our bedrooms (there aren't locks on our door and it's a shared house/tenancy, but it's just common courtesy to not enter each other's bedrooms without their permission). Our bedrooms were untidy, but certainly no damages to the property or stains anywhere.

Now it has come to light that 2 of the female tenants took video recordings of our bedrooms and shared them with their friends via snapchat. Another tenant overheard this, we all met and he brought it up, and now 2 of them actively admitted to video recording our bedrooms without our knowledge/permission and mostly behind our backs (if it wasn't for another tenant overhearing them talking about it).

I feel like this is a gross invasion of my privacy and abuse of my trust to let the manager in to inspect it, not let other tenants in or to start recording. I am unsure of the privacy laws on this, but I want to consider what options I could take.

1) Is it worth reporting this to the university or the landlord? I feel like letting this go means I accept it, they can then use this footage to incriminate me in any damages/liabilities if deductions to our deposits were to be made. I think I need to make it clear to either the uni or landlord this is unacceptable, breach of my privacy and illegal.

2) I am unsure of the possibility of pursuing legal action, considering the UK now has vast data protection/privacy laws. The only evidence of footage being taken is by their admission which was heard by all 6 tenants, but is it even worth going down this route?

Storm in a teacup.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doubt it's illegal, police won't care, but just start getting in their face about it and asking why they are so weird and creepy, accuse them of some other stuff. say you found another camera concealed in your bathroom and loudly blame them for that in front of their friends and colleagues.
Human_bean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Go and film their bedrooms. See how they like it
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Doubt it's illegal, police won't care, but just start getting in their face about it and asking why they are so weird and creepy, accuse them of some other stuff. say you found another camera concealed in your bathroom and loudly blame them for that in front of their friends and colleagues.
Why though
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why what?
Arisapo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Legal action would be a waste of time, it’s much too small of a problem for it to be taken seriously.

It is an invasion of privacy but depending how private the items in your room are, is it worth causing a massive argument over? Especially when you consider you’re living with these people.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Arisapo)
Legal action would be a waste of time, it’s much too small of a problem for it to be taken seriously.

It is an invasion of privacy but depending how private the items in your room are, is it worth causing a massive argument over? Especially when you consider you’re living with these people.
Thanks for the reply. I guess my only concern then is the footage appearing later on when deductions are made on our deposits, when they accuse me of stealing/breaking things and showing evidence that my bedroom is a mess, trying to discredit me.

Nothing particularly private was on display, just a few dirty dishes, clothes and unmade bed.

I still think I should bring this up with the landlord to voice my concerns at the very least. Saying "This footage of my private bedroom was taken illegally, without my permission, in an attempt to discredit me or be used against me and is not acceptable".
Human_bean
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the reply. I guess my only concern then is the footage appearing later on when deductions are made on our deposits, when they accuse me of stealing/breaking things and showing evidence that my bedroom is a mess, trying to discredit me.

Nothing particularly private was on display, just a few dirty dishes, clothes and unmade bed.

I still think I should bring this up with the landlord to voice my concerns at the very least. Saying "This footage of my private bedroom was taken illegally, without my permission, in an attempt to discredit me or be used against me and is not acceptable".
I don’t think that your bedroom being a mess is evidence that you have been breaking or stealing things.
Unless of course there’s a broken or stolen item in your bedroom at the time the footage was filmed?
timfrangopulo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Why on earth does this bother you it is just a space no matter how tidy or otherwise if you have embarrassing objects lying around then you need to consider the situation, these are rooms as you say without locks, people get curious or might ave other reasons to enter in an emergency so never leave stuff about that you don't want seen just as you would at home with your parents. Stop being so sensitive and shrug it off
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Human_bean)
I don’t think that your bedroom being a mess is evidence that you have been breaking or stealing things.
Unless of course there’s a broken or stolen item in your bedroom at the time the footage was filmed?
I agree, and no nothing was stolen or broken. I guess the only logical use they have of this footage is discrediting my character when it comes to disputes over potential deposit deductions such as cleaning costs.

But even then, is me not voicing my concerns to my landlord effectively saying I'm allowing them to do things like this?
Arisapo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree, and no nothing was stolen or broken. I guess the only logical use they have of this footage is discrediting my character when it comes to disputes over potential deposit deductions such as cleaning costs.

But even then, is me not voicing my concerns to my landlord effectively saying I'm allowing them to do things like this?
I feel you but honestly I don’t think it’s worth the hassle - you going to your landlord effectively creates a divide between you and your housemates.

I’d talk to them and explain how it annoyed you and for them not to do it in the future but probably wouldn’t take it further.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Ask the landlord to get locks for the rooms -
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would probably complain to the university accommodation office.

Why did you leave dirty plates etc when you knew there would be an inspection?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago

I would blame the manager and let the landlord know of what has happened.

I too would be extremely upset even if someone came into my room without my permission. The only people I allow into my room at home are my family. I don't allow anyone else in unsupervised. Plus, they recorded your room which is extremely childish and if that happened to me, I would be really angry about it as I dislike people invading my personal/private space (excluding family ofourse).

After all this, in my opinion, I don't think there's any point in taking any legal action, but I think you should tell your landlord because if anything comes up e.g. them seeing your personal detail such as bank account number etc. you can trace it back and call on more witnesses. The video they distributed is already an advantage to you if anything happens as it shows they don't care about your privacy and you can probably use this. Plus, there's not much time left until end of the academic year.

You should probably get a house with locked doors next time though. Some times, it's better to be cautious than to resent things later.
Going Back
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Agree that there is unlikely to be legal recourse, but recording someone's personal space, messy or not, is bang out of order. Posting it online even more so. The housemates are at fault here. The landlord or agent may have permission to "enter the premises" in your agreement and under stated conditions.
Last edited by Going Back; 1 year ago
nutz99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Landlords are well aware of the state that students keep their rooms in. I have a friend who's a landlord and as long as the place is not wrecked at the end of the tenancy then she's happy. Untidy rooms are literally nothing. One of her houses had sports students in and the kitchen had doors missing, others hanging off their hinges and a radiator pulled off the wall - then you need to worry.
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

It's not illegal though my man so there's no point doing anything about it.

It is however, illegal to unduly withhold a tenant's deposit. If that happens then you can and should take your landlord to a small claims court for which you can use said footage to show that, in fact, you did not cause any damage.
sophia5892
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're all on a shared tenancy for the house then there's certainly no legal issue... if you have separate agreements which specifically designate that you rent room 1, X rents room 2 etc etc. then perhaps you've grounds to complain that the manager allowed the girls into your room. Given that there's no locks though I'm assuming you're all on one agreement for the house, so legally, you've no entitlement to that room as private space.
I agree with others that it's not worth making a fuss about - even if you let the landlord know you're not happy with the manager letting the girls in... with no locks and the girls already having free access, how is the manager to know you'd not be happy with that.
ultimateradman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by timfrangopulo)
Why on earth does this bother you it is just a space no matter how tidy or otherwise if you have embarrassing objects lying around then you need to consider the situation, these are rooms as you say without locks, people get curious or might ave other reasons to enter in an emergency so never leave stuff about that you don't want seen just as you would at home with your parents. Stop being so sensitive and shrug it off
You seem to be ignoring the fact that they recorded the rooms. Imagine someone going into your house and looking through your stuff, recording it...
Not as appealing as it sounds huh?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (66)
15.71%
Uncertainty around my education (73)
17.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (39)
9.29%
Isolating with family (25)
5.95%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (16)
3.81%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (34)
8.1%
Loneliness (41)
9.76%
Financial worries (14)
3.33%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (41)
9.76%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
7.14%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (41)
9.76%

Watched Threads