The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Academic Year?

I've recently started my course at the Open University which began in February, as i'd missed the October start, and its all going well. However the uni have informed me that i cant begin the second year until October 2020, which means taking a years break.

Ideally i'd of preferred to finish my current year and then be able to move on the the next at the the end of this year. When i asked i was told that you can only study 120 credits per academic year.

I guess i'm just confused as I've always thought the academic year usually begins around September, which wouldn't cause any issues if i wanted to continue my studies in October.

Student Finance wouldn't even be an issue as my current year is under 2018/19, and the next would obviously be 2019/20.
I think Student Finance still treat it as being in the same year if you do a Feb start and then apply for more finance for a subsequent Oct start. They take the start date of the course as the actual start. The application forms change every year, but that does not change how they treat your actual start date.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest