The Student Room Group

Another stabbing in London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alexty28
Its still safe here, just don't be an idiot and do not get affiliated with gangs. People are getting scared shitless and acting like its a war zone when in reality you are far safer living in London than majority of the other major world cities. The media is making a big deal out of it, but after living here all my life, stabbings and shootings are not new in London.

I 40 and the media have been talking about teenage gangs and Knife crime at least since I was old another to read a newspaper or watch the news when I was a child/teenager it scared me. But then I learn statistics and realized that media for blowing knife/teenage crime out of proton. It is nothing new every decade the media see the moral decline in young people and has around 80% of news stories covering teenager in a bad light.
Reply 21
Its the government, they are spending money on digging up roads and spending it on things we don't need. The government need to focus on the youth which will decrease stabbings and deaths
Original post by MiszShorTea765
So the police cuts don’t bother you? Fair enough tax money goes on such services(How else would it be run?) and it’s a ‘payback’ for those that do contribute but where is the sense of security today?

We’re losing more and more citizen to gun and knife crimes then anything else nowadays. I agree it’s not only in London, but surely it cannot continue like so.

No, they don’t bother me. London and the UK as a whole is a very safe place to live, one of the safest in the world, if you’re not a drug dealer or gang member. Much of the increase in violence is down to more drug disputes taking place and doesn’t really affect ordinary law-abiding people. Even if there is such a huge problem with violence, the police should allocate more existing officers away from less serious crimes and into tackling knife crime.
(edited 5 years ago)
you are right it is because London is the capital city and has a large population. The crime that is reported on the national news is almost always in London other than an unusual crime like the 11-year-old Rhys Jones a child who was murder by a gang member in Liverpool. In fact, the city with the highest murder per person in UK is Belfast.
Original post by akbar0123
Even Birmingham has a higher murder rate than London, they just have fewer people. Already 9 dead there this year with 1/3 of the population. And most major Uk cities like manchester and Glasgow have similar murder rates, they just don’t get the same amount of converged in the media so people think London is some sort of cesspit when in fact it’s no worse than most major UK cities.
Reply 24
Funny how every victim is an innocent teenager after they get stabbed... yeah right.

The media are genuinely talking like if you walk down the street minding your own business in broad daylight you’re going to get stabbed. I’ve lived in East London, it’s really not as bad as some people like to make out.

I’m not denying that innocent people do get stabbed but this sensationalism is just a joke.
You don’t need stats to know that hiring officers costs money, they’re not working for free are they? I think things are fine as they are.

That's not what I was talking about.

I was taking about your claim that hiring more officers on the streets and putting people in prisons has little to any effect on lowering stabbings.
Original post by TheNamesBond.
That's not what I was talking about.

I was taking about your claim that hiring more officers on the streets and putting people in prisons has little to any effect on lowering stabbings.

There are plenty of countries that have fewer police officers per capita and lower homicide rates. And even if it does lower stabbing rates we need to analyse whether the reduction in stabbings is worth the extra money spent on these officers and whether the money could be allocated more efficiently elsewhere.
(edited 5 years ago)
There are plenty of countries that have fewer police officers per capita and lower homicide rates. And even if it does lower stabbing rates we need to analyse whether the reduction in stabbings is worth the extra money spent on these officers and whether the money could be allocated more efficiently elsewhere.

Again, where are your stats, even if you decided to finally bless me with proof that doesn't necessarily mean they have a direct correlation, a country must protect its population, if there is a rise of crime the country will attempt to lower it.
Phew, good job I am nowhere near London.
Must be those white christian heterosexual males again...
Reply 30
Original post by generallee
It depends.

Most of them are gang and drugs related. Gang members killing other gang members.

Some are non gang members in the wrong place at the wrong time.

And those that go Allahu Akbar” before smiting the necks of the disbelievers, on Westminster Bridge, or outside Parliament, are Muslims with a particular interpretation of the Koran.

Hope that helped?

A lot of the violent crime in London is now by second generation from Muslim families.
UK cops are useless
80% is gang-on-gang so if we get that figure to 100% then it's problem solved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending