Müller, Boateng, and Hummels axed from Germany squad

Watch
yudothis
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thoughts?

And thoughts about the reaction by Hummels and Müller?

Personally, I think they are crybabies. Löw went to them in person to inform them - what more 'respect' do they want?
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Been **** for a while. No surprises they’ve been kicked out.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Well people are complaining about the way it was done. But then that's because they got nothing else to complain about imo.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yudothis)
Thoughts?

And thoughts about the reaction by Hummels and Müller?

Personally, I think they are crybabies. Löw went to them in person to inform them - what more 'respect' do they want?
Just discovered this thread after a long while now. My opinion: the suspension of those three German internationals was the right decision. Their performance are not constant and at world class or high level at least since they won the world cup 2014.
Lannister043
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Just discovered this thread after a long while now. My opinion: the suspension of those three German internationals was the right decision. Their performance are not constant and at world class or high level at least since they won the world cup 2014.
Agreed, they're also getting old and the space should be given to others.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lannister043)
Agreed, they're also getting old and the space should be given to others.
Those three were at the peak in 2014, a level they can't achieved anymore. The age does not matter, as long as they are in a top form. Klose for instance has shown that he was an important and precious player for German team at the age of 36, although he was an exception. I would not exclude players so easily due to the ages, if the performance is still good.
Lannister043
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Those three were at the peak in 2014, a level they can't achieved anymore. The age does not matter, as long as they are in a top form. Klose for instance has shown that he was an important and precious player for German team at the age of 36, although he was an exception. I would not exclude players so easily due to the ages, if the performance is still good.
I can't say I follow the bundesliga properly but they seem past it now.

In terms of the two CBs replacing them, who is it going to be? Sule and who else?
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Fine to drop from the squad if the manager doesn't think they are currently playing well enough.

Bit over the top to declare that they won't play for Germany again. Still highly experienced players and not past playing top quality football. Should sack the manager.
yudothis
Rep:
?
He should have been sacked after the World Cup, yes. That is a different matter.

In terms being final, well, Müller will never be good enough again. That is clear. Hummels and Boateng, maybe, maybe not. At any rate we have other good central defenders. What making this final negates is having to every campaign call them and say, nope, again you won't play. If they miss the qualifiers and the Euros, who will say they even want to play the World Cup qualifiers in 2021? Idk.
BLD1001
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
Fine to drop from the squad if the manager doesn't think they are currently playing well enough.

Bit over the top to declare that they won't play for Germany again. Still highly experienced players and not past playing top quality football. Should sack the manager.
(Original post by yudothis)
He should have been sacked after the World Cup, yes. That is a different matter.

In terms being final, well, Müller will never be good enough again. That is clear. Hummels and Boateng, maybe, maybe not. At any rate we have other good central defenders. What making this final negates is having to every campaign call them and say, nope, again you won't play. If they miss the qualifiers and the Euros, who will say they even want to play the World Cup qualifiers in 2021? Idk.
I disagree, How many other national teams can say that they have a world cup winning manager? And as for the players that have been made redundant for the sqaud, of course the players will be upset because they want to represent for the country and have passion for the badge. If you look at the rejuvenated England squad, its only full of young talented prospects. Garteh Southgate has had years before coaching the under 21's England teams and so he was able to go into the first team squad and tweak the team to his liking and his philosophy. The German coach, Low, he hasnt had much experience with making team sheets full of 18,19,20 year olds. and so now i think that they should maintain the manager for a bit longer and see if the manager can make a young german team that can compete internationally. If this does not occur then sack the manager then. many national teams are following what the England team now like France and the Netherlands, and now so must the Germans. Its now coming down to if te players are old enough, they are good enough rather than having a national team call up because of experience.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BLD1001)
I disagree, How many other national teams can say that they have a world cup winning manager? And as for the players that have been made redundant for the sqaud, of course the players will be upset because they want to represent for the country and have passion for the badge. If you look at the rejuvenated England squad, its only full of young talented prospects. Garteh Southgate has had years before coaching the under 21's England teams and so he was able to go into the first team squad and tweak the team to his liking and his philosophy. The German coach, Low, he hasnt had much experience with making team sheets full of 18,19,20 year olds. and so now i think that they should maintain the manager for a bit longer and see if the manager can make a young german team that can compete internationally. If this does not occur then sack the manager then. many national teams are following what the England team now like France and the Netherlands, and now so must the Germans. Its now coming down to if te players are old enough, they are good enough rather than having a national team call up because of experience.
The players won the trophy on the pitch - not Low.

He could have had a quiet word with the players and said the focus is on the future so he won't be picking them (at least not for the foreseeable future). The players then could have announced that "they retired". Same result but everyone is happy.

Instead Low has tried to make a power play to try and keep his job to make it look like he's working for the future and he's in charge.
BLD1001
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The players won the trophy on the pitch - not Low.

He could have had a quiet word with the players and said the focus is on the future so he won't be picking them (at least not for the foreseeable future). The players then could have announced that "they retired". Same result but everyone is happy.

Instead Low has tried to make a power play to try and keep his job to make it look like he's working for the future and he's in charge
Of course. But players just dont go out onto a pitch and win a game, its all done tactically and strategically. This was an in form Brazil side in the 2014 world cup, players dont just beat a Brazil side featuring Neymar, Dani alves, David Luiz, etc.
The German players wouldnt just retire because they dont get picked for the national team, Low probably would have said that he was going to make changes to the squad, but just because older players like Boeteng would no longer get picked, it doesnt mean they wont play for their country again. Of course its all up in the air now because the young German side Low now played in the Nations league has played reasonably well but its a big step for young players and so its just about adapting to these situations, and to adapt the manager and the players need time.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Of course. But players just dont go out onto a pitch and win a game, its all done tactically and strategically. This was an in form Brazil side in the 2014 world cup, players dont just beat a Brazil side featuring Neymar, Dani alves, David Luiz, etc.
The German players wouldnt just retire because they dont get picked for the national team, Low probably would have said that he was going to make changes to the squad, but just because older players like Boeteng would no longer get picked, it doesnt mean they wont play for their country again. Of course its all up in the air now because the young German side Low now played in the Nations league has played reasonably well but its a big step for young players and so its just about adapting to these situations, and to adapt the manager and the players need time.
But equally they're not idiots - they all play for Bayern and to a very high level.

Well there have been a number of retirements since 2014 (Lahm, Ozil etc). Again, Low could just not pick them rather than say he's effectively retired them.

Low specifically said those players wont play again for Germany..
BLD1001
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But equally they're not idiots - they all play for Bayern and to a very high level.

Well there have been a number of retirements since 2014 (Lahm, Ozil etc). Again, Low could just not pick them rather than say he's effectively retired them.

Low specifically said those players wont play again for Germany..
It doesn't matter what club they play for, Ozil retired from international football because of the picture with the Turkish president and his relationship with Low went up in flames, he got blamed for their failures in the world cup. Its the players decision whether they retire or not, not the managers, Boateng, naming just one doesnt have to retire from international duty, he can retire when it feels like the right time, yes he is getting older and new talent will come in and take his place. For majority of the older players like Neuer, it was his last world cup. You have Leroy Sane, Julian Brandt, Sule, Henriches, Goretzka all ready to take over from the likes of Ozil, Gotze, Hummels. Its just how football works, the game is changing once again the game is now played with who has the pace and speed, not about experience. To be honest, some of the Germans are overrated anyway.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It doesn't matter what club they play for, Ozil retired from international football because of the picture with the Turkish president and his relationship with Low went up in flames, he got blamed for their failures in the world cup. Its the players decision whether they retire or not, not the managers, Boateng, naming just one doesnt have to retire from international duty, he can retire when it feels like the right time, yes he is getting older and new talent will come in and take his place. For majority of the older players like Neuer, it was his last world cup. You have Leroy Sane, Julian Brandt, Sule, Henriches, Goretzka all ready to take over from the likes of Ozil, Gotze, Hummels. Its just how football works, the game is changing once again the game is now played with who has the pace and speed, not about experience. To be honest, some of the Germans are overrated anyway.
Low has decided to end the international careers for Müller, Boateng, and Hummels. He said he won't pick them again.

The players reacted pretty angrily about it

https://www.theguardian.com/football...boateng-bayern

Anyway you're mixing what might be the right decision long term vs. my point that the manner that Low went about it was bad.
BLD1001
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Low has decided to end the international careers for Müller, Boateng, and Hummels. He said he won't pick them again.

The players reacted pretty angrily about it

https://www.theguardian.com/football...boateng-bayern

Anyway you're mixing what might be the right decision long term vs. my point that the manner that Low went about it was bad.
Low doesnt deserve to be sacked for not wanting to pick players though. If he doesnt feel that those players would fit the new way of playing then why would you add them in the squad? They will be remembered for the 2014 world cup but its 4 years on and they failed to get past the group stages, time has run out for some of those players. Low won the world cup with Germany, the problem with football is that clubs are happy when they win trophies but as soon as one bad season or a bad tournament occurs, the managers job is on the line.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Low doesnt deserve to be sacked for not wanting to pick players though. If he doesnt feel that those players would fit the new way of playing then why would you add them in the squad? They will be remembered for the 2014 world cup but its 4 years on and they failed to get past the group stages, time has run out for some of those players. Low won the world cup with Germany, the problem with football is that clubs are happy when they win trophies but as soon as one bad season or a bad tournament occurs, the managers job is on the line.
Low deserved to be sacked because I think there are better managers who could do the Germany role.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (40)
7.75%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (40)
7.75%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (124)
24.03%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (73)
14.15%
No, nothing has changed (158)
30.62%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (81)
15.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise