Shud I take a-level maths with 2 content heavy subjects

Watch
Zabidoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I'm thinking about taking maths with sociology and law (I swapped psychology for maths) but I'm not sure whether it's a good idea
I want to teach in primary schools and enjoy maths (I'm predicted a 6)

Shud I take maths or do pyschology?
Cuz maths sounds rly hard after watching a couple of a-level videos on it, but I think taking pyschology with sociology and law wud be overwhelming (and slightly boring)

Has anyone taken any of the 4 subjects and can give advice? Or perhaps on a-levels in general?
Engineer1729
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do which ever one you prefer. All a-levels are hard, so just do what you enjoy
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you find GCSE maths hard and struggle to get above a 6, I wouldn't recommend doing A-level maths. There are alternative qualifications you can take if you want to continue maths. Bear in mind you can always swap subjects on results day, or shortly into term, so if GCSE maths goes well or you have a change of heart with any of the others, you can always change.
EmMcG
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know maths is really hard but psychology can be hard too especially if you don’t find it interesting, it doesn’t take much to work in primary education so it doesn’t matter too much about the subjects you choose but it’s not worth it if you won’t enjoy them or are not 100% certain on your career. Concepts in psychology and sociology do overlap which may make it less difficult, however maths is a highly valued subject in most degrees.
Afterlife?
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I take both and Maths is like speaking a language - it starts off really hard but then when you practice loads you can just do it effortlessly. Psychology A level is just a memory test - in the exam all you do is regurgitate memorised studies and debates onto the paper. If you struggle with memory then you will struggle with the content but the content is not deep its only broad. Imo Psychology is way easier simply because the concepts are not completely irretrievable if you just forgot. For example if you forgot how to do integration by substitution because u didn't revise enough then you will get 0/10 on the question whereas if you forgot an evaluation to a theory you can just substitute a generic evaluation point in and get some marks.
Zabidoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks everyone ❤
Is there anyone whose taken sociology and pyschology together? If so, wud u suggest it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed