The Student Room Group

Am i being too sensitive or is he a jerk?

Basically I have been with my bf for nearly a year. Hes a bit older than me (Me 22 him 36) and never been the particularly lovey-dovey type and sometimes hes quite inconsiderate at times, but I know he has it in him to be when he wants.But we do have good times together and I believe we do love each other.

But I had an abortion this week, the hardest thing ive ever done- and I dont think he could have been there for me any less if he tried.
He didnt go with me to the appointment because he was working. When I said this to him he said that I never asked him and that if I had he would have cancelled his appointments and meetings , which he didnt offer till after the fact (but does he really need to be told that I might need him there for support, isnt it obvious?) On the morning, he didnt send me a text, i got nothing from him before during or after, even just to say he was thinking of me. And I was feeling lonely and quite distraught so I really needed someone. Especially as he is the only one that knows about it and he knows that. I messaged him saying we needed to talk that night , a couple hours after I got home. And he called multiple times as soon as I sent that text and I said I was tired and upset but nothing to worry about, Could we speak later? He kept calling and eventually i picked up - he said I was cruel to him because I was 'leaving him in suspense' and the phone call was basically him blaming me for being upset. That I couldnt be upset about being on my own because I didnt ask him to come, that I put 'barriers up' and blame him for them. But 2 days later, Ive had no contact or anything barely an acknowledgement of what ive even gone through. The only phonecall we had was him asking if I was going to work that night and when I said I wasnt rotad in he said he thought I was, not thinking for a secind that I might in no way be up for it. But am i being sensitive here or unreasonable. I mean do I really need to tell him what I need in a situation like this. If someone loves you shouldnt they just know you need love and support.What are your thoughts?
Original post by Anonymous
Basically I have been with my bf for nearly a year. Hes a bit older than me (Me 22 him 36) and never been the particularly lovey-dovey type and sometimes hes quite inconsiderate at times, but I know he has it in him to be when he wants.But we do have good times together and I believe we do love each other.

But I had an abortion this week, the hardest thing ive ever done- and I dont think he could have been there for me any less if he tried.
He didnt go with me to the appointment because he was working. When I said this to him he said that I never asked him and that if I had he would have cancelled his appointments and meetings , which he didnt offer till after the fact (but does he really need to be told that I might need him there for support, isnt it obvious?) On the morning, he didnt send me a text, i got nothing from him before during or after, even just to say he was thinking of me. And I was feeling lonely and quite distraught so I really needed someone. Especially as he is the only one that knows about it and he knows that. I messaged him saying we needed to talk that night , a couple hours after I got home. And he called multiple times as soon as I sent that text and I said I was tired and upset but nothing to worry about, Could we speak later? He kept calling and eventually i picked up - he said I was cruel to him because I was 'leaving him in suspense' and the phone call was basically him blaming me for being upset. That I couldnt be upset about being on my own because I didnt ask him to come, that I put 'barriers up' and blame him for them. But 2 days later, Ive had no contact or anything barely an acknowledgement of what ive even gone through. The only phonecall we had was him asking if I was going to work that night and when I said I wasnt rotad in he said he thought I was, not thinking for a secind that I might in no way be up for it. But am i being sensitive here or unreasonable. I mean do I really need to tell him what I need in a situation like this. If someone loves you shouldnt they just know you need love and support.What are your thoughts?

Honestly, he is a bit insensitive for not asking but you're overreacting too because you didn't communicate what you wanted. Maybe he didn't offer to come with you because you showed no signs of wanting him there. People are not mind readers so unless you said "I want you to come with me" you can't be upset that he didn't come with you.

Communication is so important. If you want him to do something, ask him. Don't expect him to just know what you want when you aren't telling him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending