What have we learned about Britain from Brexit? (poll) Watch

Poll: What have we discovered about Britain from Brexit?
That we are no longer a great power (3)
6.25%
That we need Europe a lot more than they need us (4)
8.33%
That trade with the EU really does matter (0)
0%
That people around the world don't owe us a living (0)
0%
That the US is not as nice an ally to have as some thought (0)
0%
That we are actually quite a minor power and it's a tough world (2)
4.17%
That some Brexit problems are insoluble (0)
0%
That we now face economic and national decline (2)
4.17%
That the hardline Brexit that surfaced immediately after the Referendum, supported by Theresa May, was utterly foolish and wrong (2)
4.17%
All of the above (35)
72.92%
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Now that the whole Brexit experience is staggering (possibly) to some sort of conclusion on Tuesday (probably more delay, but you never know :rolleyes:), it's interesting to pause to reflect on what we've learned, not about the EU specifically, but about Britain.

We were assured by Brexiteers that as a Great Power and a noble and much loved imperium, we would be welcomed with open arms by potential trading partners and all problems connected with Brexit waved aside by a sad, but respectfully compliant EU.

Has this been the reality? You decide. :lol:

Poll attached for the more obvious learnings. What have we learned? What sort of country are we discovering that we are now?

What lies ahead for us?
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That Germany as a concept and as a state must be destroyed alongside any idea of a European Union that does anything more than trade and basic politics.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
That Germany as a concept and as a state must be destroyed alongside any idea of a European Union that does anything more than trade and basic politics.
Bzzz. Wrong answer. The question is about Britain.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Bzzz. Wrong answer. The question is about Britain.
We must be the ones to start the destruction.
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That any attempt at collective unity ends up being an attempt by one party to assert dominance over the rest. For as long as power exists, it inevitably falls into the wrong hands.

Oh, and that this thread is another self-congratulatory yet meaningless exercise. Did you really think a vote to remain meant Britain would Not be any of the above? They'd be laughed at in another way: "You tried to leave. What makes you think you're more important than the rest of us?" That's what the EU politicians would have said.
Neilos
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That we have far more unpleasant, blinkered, 'my way is the only way' individuals kicking around than I had previously thought.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
that the British public should be kept away from referenda.
viddy9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So, you are comfortable with economic union but not so keen on political union? I assume you are a supporter of the EEA option, then, in which we stay in the Single Market?
Violet Femme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That the British public elect utter inept politicians?

That the Conservative party is more interesting in squabbling and power games than running the country?

That having voted for Brexit, Brexit supporters have spent almost three years trying to blame anyone but themselves for the mess?
mpaprika
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
yeah I meant all of the above but chose my options before reading the rest
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That there are plenty of pro-remain/pro-Brexit commoners in this country who are willing to have a rant on national TV but don't seem to think out what it is they want to say or how to get it across. Many of them talk as if they aren't very up-to-date on what's going on. I've had some good laughs.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That half of the British public are incredibly naive and actually believed the nonsense that was fed to them by our politicians.
Salostar
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Whelp, I've gone with all of the above.

I'd also add that our streak of electing incompetent, spineless, and utterly egomaniac leaders continue.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by viddy9)
So, you are comfortable with economic union but not so keen on political union? I assume you are a supporter of the EEA option, then, in which we stay in the Single Market?
Nope because we would still be supporting the EU, if we rolled the state (EU) far far far back and wanted to do some trade deals then I would be fine with that
NickAlex12
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That Britain IS a great country, IS a major power, and has a lot to be proud of and doesn’t need to be a member of an Anglophobic, globalist institution that we feel no connection to.

That the condescending, London-based, privately-educated, upper-middle class elite feel a deep sense of resentment towards the people of this country, especially the elderly, who voted to leave and feel far more of an allegiance to a foreign, faceless institution than they do to their own people.

That our true allies have never been, are not, and never will be France or Germany, two countries that disrespect and resent us and only see us as an asset to have in their future superstate.
Last edited by NickAlex12; 2 weeks ago
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What a ridiculous poll...
MartinF98
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’ve learned that 52% of Britain voted to leave the EU, and a significant portion of the 48% also want the democratic wish of the people to be respected. I’ve also learned that there is a small section of Britain, mainly posh Londoners, who have a sense of superiority and look down on the ordinary people that make up this country who voted in large numbers to leave.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Where’s the none of the above option?
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by NickAlex12)
That Britain IS a great country, IS a major power, and has a lot to be proud of and doesn’t need to be a member of an Anglophobic, globalist institution that we feel no connection to.

That the condescending, London-based, privately-educated, upper-middle class elite feel a deep sense of resentment towards the people of this country, especially the elderly, who voted to leave and feel far more of an allegiance to a foreign, faceless institution than they do to their own people.

That our true allies have never been, are not, and never will be France or Germany, two countries that disrespect and resent us and only see us as an asset to have in their future superstate.
Agreed on everything but the sad thing is America is not our ally, we need to build a far stronger commonwealth and a stronger Britain
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah it’s all Germany’s fault fml...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads