What have we learned about Britain from Brexit? (poll) Watch

Poll: What have we discovered about Britain from Brexit?
That we are no longer a great power (3)
6.25%
That we need Europe a lot more than they need us (4)
8.33%
That trade with the EU really does matter (0)
0%
That people around the world don't owe us a living (0)
0%
That the US is not as nice an ally to have as some thought (0)
0%
That we are actually quite a minor power and it's a tough world (2)
4.17%
That some Brexit problems are insoluble (0)
0%
That we now face economic and national decline (2)
4.17%
That the hardline Brexit that surfaced immediately after the Referendum, supported by Theresa May, was utterly foolish and wrong (2)
4.17%
All of the above (35)
72.92%
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
I assume this is the opening to your Who's Who entry?
It's in the Modesty section, right below Pets and Hobbies.
ColinDent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
My threads have featured more than 10 times in Today on TSR - yours?

Also, using 'hissy fit' on International Women's Day is a bit shameful, you should get that sexism looked at.
Woo hoo, text book virtue signalling.
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
Labour are not the ones in power.
No, but they are the official opposition and have not provided any credible alternative. Also they arguably precipitated the whole situation when they grossly underestimated the scale of immigration when the EU enlarged and hence did not impose transitional controls.

I'm not saying the Tories come out of this situation well but, to be blunt, nor do Labour. Not least because it is clear that the views of their MPs are often out of kilter with those of their constituents.
Last edited by CurlyBen; 1 week ago
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
That Germany as a concept and as a state must be destroyed alongside any idea of a European Union that does anything more than trade and basic politics.
Once upon a time, people said that about the United States.

Thing is, hardly anyone outside the UK wants that kind of minimalist EU any more. Even the far-right parties are increasingly on board with European integration, they just want to change how exactly integration will happen.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anarchism101)
Once upon a time, people said that about the United States.

Thing is, hardly anyone outside the UK wants that kind of minimalist EU any more. Even the far-right parties are increasingly on board with European integration, they just want to change how exactly integration will happen.
This is true. For all the talk about populism, most states will still see euro-federalists win.

The interesting parties to me are those like 5star and citizens, strange mixes of euro-federalism and what amounts to european nationalism.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
This is true. For all the talk about populism, most states will still see euro-federalists win.

The interesting parties to me are those like 5star and citizens, strange mixes of euro-federalism and what amounts to european nationalism.
In case it wasn't clear from the start, M5S are a weird random bunch. They're forming a new European Parliament group consisting pretty much entirely of parties with lots of populist rhetoric but not many clear-cut positions. The other member parties include:
- Kukiz'15 (Poland): claim to be neither right nor left, but have been pretty closely associated with Polish far-right groups.
- Živi zid (Croatia): also claim to be neither left nor right, but fill the ideological niche usually occupied by far-left parties.
- Liike Nyt (Finland): kind of a mix between Macron and Orange Booker Lib Dems.
- AKKEL (Greece): vaguely Agrarian party, hard to discern their actual policies, but have in the past formed joint lists with just about every possible major Greek party (Syriza, Anel, Pasok and New Democracy)
- Gilet Jaunes lists (France): movement that is discernably anti-Macron and anti-centrist, but everything else is contested, to the point where GJ protests have descended into physical fights between far-left and far-right elements.
TensorTympani
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
All of the above, because what have we not learnt about UK politics in Brexit?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anarchism101)
In case it wasn't clear from the start, M5S are a weird random bunch. They're forming a new European Parliament group consisting pretty much entirely of parties with lots of populist rhetoric but not many clear-cut positions. The other member parties include:
- Kukiz'15 (Poland): claim to be neither right nor left, but have been pretty closely associated with Polish far-right groups.
- Živi zid (Croatia): also claim to be neither left nor right, but fill the ideological niche usually occupied by far-left parties.
- Liike Nyt (Finland): kind of a mix between Macron and Orange Booker Lib Dems.
- AKKEL (Greece): vaguely Agrarian party, hard to discern their actual policies, but have in the past formed joint lists with just about every possible major Greek party (Syriza, Anel, Pasok and New Democracy)
- Gilet Jaunes lists (France): movement that is discernably anti-Macron and anti-centrist, but everything else is contested, to the point where GJ protests have descended into physical fights between far-left and far-right elements.
While I can’t speak for the others I think it is because in 5star’s case the membership actively set the policy through vote and not in a rigged beaurocratic manner like Labour. A few years ago 5star had a Euro-skeptic leadership and a membership who voted to join ALDE.
nonotyoutoo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Now that the whole Brexit experience is staggering (possibly) to some sort of conclusion on Tuesday (probably more delay, but you never know :rolleyes:), it's interesting to pause to reflect on what we've learned, not about the EU specifically, but about Britain.

We were assured by Brexiteers that as a Great Power and a noble and much loved imperium, we would be welcomed with open arms by potential trading partners and all problems connected with Brexit waved aside by a sad, but respectfully compliant EU.

Has this been the reality? You decide. :lol:

Poll attached for the more obvious learnings. What have we learned? What sort of country are we discovering that we are now?

What lies ahead for us?
I learnt that it makes Remoaners want to rig the polls and possible future referendums
nonotyoutoo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by the bear)
that the British public should be kept away from referenda.
Because 44% of the population now active support a no deal Brexit? Its the single most popular position.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nonotyoutoo)
Because 44% of the population now active support a no deal Brexit? Its the single most popular position.
44% of the population believe that the earth is flat. so what ?
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
44% of the population believe that the earth is flat. so what ?
44%!!! 🤢🤢
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
44%!!! 🤢🤢
so maybe you are more than 44%

idk

:emo:
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What about the 54% in the YouGov survey who considered that to be a bad outcome?

Partisan surveys asking loaded questions don't reflect changes in public opinion. They simply reflect the views of those who pay for the survey.

Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
so maybe you are more than 44%

idk

:emo:
No, I just meant that 44% is quite a significant amount of people who believe the earth is flat. I'm not a flat earther or anything. 😂
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
No, I just meant that 44% is quite a significant amount of people who believe the earth is flat. I'm not a flat earther or anything. 😂
sorry.... i thought you were one of them.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
I'm sure it's nothing to do with the massive secret spending on Facebook to persuade them of that, currently over 1/3 of a million pounds by person or persons unknown.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...er-on-facebook

Facebook have long wanted to destroy the EU, as it has attempted to bring Facebook under regulatory control - it's not hard to see what's happening here. The money presumably comes from the usual Russian sources.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm sure it's nothing to do with the massive secret spending on Facebook to persuade them of that, currently over 1/3 of a million pounds by person or persons unknown.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...er-on-facebook

Facebook have long wanted to destroy the EU, as it has attempted to bring Facebook under regulatory control - it's not hard to see what's happening here. The money presumably comes from the usual Russian sources.
Do you use Facebook as a source of facts? Not everyone is as gullible as your good self.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by ColinDent)
Do you use Facebook as a source of facts? Not everyone is as gullible as your good self.
That must be why Dominic Cummings pressured Vote Leave to spend illegally huge amounts of money sending out more than a billion ads on it, because it doesn't work.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That must be why Dominic Cummings pressured Vote Leave to spend illegally huge amounts of money sending out more than a billion ads on it, because it doesn't work.
It didn't on me, talking about overspending I noticed that momentum are the latest to fall into that category.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads