What have we learned about Britain from Brexit? (poll) Watch

Poll: What have we discovered about Britain from Brexit?
That we are no longer a great power (3)
6.25%
That we need Europe a lot more than they need us (4)
8.33%
That trade with the EU really does matter (0)
0%
That people around the world don't owe us a living (0)
0%
That the US is not as nice an ally to have as some thought (0)
0%
That we are actually quite a minor power and it's a tough world (2)
4.17%
That some Brexit problems are insoluble (0)
0%
That we now face economic and national decline (2)
4.17%
That the hardline Brexit that surfaced immediately after the Referendum, supported by Theresa May, was utterly foolish and wrong (2)
4.17%
All of the above (35)
72.92%
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
That must be why Dominic Cummings pressured Vote Leave to spend illegally huge amounts of money sending out more than a billion ads on it, because it doesn't work.
Nothing illegal, just smart. Personally I don’t even think Cambridge Analytica was wrong.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Nothing illegal, just smart. Personally I don’t even think Cambridge Analytica was wrong.
Nothing illegal? Eh?

What was not wrong?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nothing illegal? Eh?

What was not wrong?
Targeted data gathering and targeting is smart, not wrong.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Targeted data gathering and targeting is smart, not wrong.
I was referring to the overspend as being illegal. However, CA and Facebook also flagrantly breached data protection and the targeting was sneaky and manipulative, if you want to call that smart, well, that's maybe because your side won, but it doesn't make it any less underhand and criminal.
nonotyoutoo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm sure it's nothing to do with the massive secret spending on Facebook to persuade them of that, currently over 1/3 of a million pounds by person or persons unknown.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...er-on-facebook

Facebook have long wanted to destroy the EU, as it has attempted to bring Facebook under regulatory control - it's not hard to see what's happening here. The money presumably comes from the usual Russian sources.
I see nothing with the FB advertising. If people weren't convinced by the argument it will have no effect. Its good for people to make up there own minds.

And if you look back through history, the American revolution was funded by the French. Foreign money helped to alleviate legitimate grievances of the people.
Mister Fantastic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
And the other half voted to leave.
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
That half of the British public are incredibly naive and actually believed the nonsense that was fed to them by our politicians.
Nalk1573
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We learned that nationalism is actually just ethnic nationalism.
JesseNoBing
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
well... some interesting info for anyone who didn't know... In the 90s Britain went through an economic depression. To get out of it we chose austerity and because of that we basically proved we weren't a self-sustainable country. By leaving the EU Britain was trying to prove they were self-sustainable. We also learnt that Britain isn't funny or clever with the fact they called it "Brexit"
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mister Fantastic)
That makes literally no sense, how would we know that lies were told about remaining when we haven't remained?
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That makes literally no sense, how would we know that lies were told about remaining when we haven't remained?
That's not what you said, you were patronisingly saying that people who voted to leave were naive because they believed the nonsense fed to them by politicians, that can very much work both ways so Mister Fantastic was within the bounds of correctness with his amusing aside.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
That's not what you said, you were patronisingly saying that people who voted to leave were naive because they believed the nonsense fed to them by politicians, that can very much work both ways so Mister Fantastic was within the bounds of correctness with his amusing aside.
Assumptions don't make up facts. I've known of several people to regret voting leave because they feel let down by the way it's gone, when those who voted remain knew this is how it would pan out.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Assumptions don't make up facts. I've known of several people to regret voting leave because they feel let down by the way it's gone, when those who voted remain knew this is how it would pan out.
I know several people who voted to remain because they believed the lies fed to them in that hugely biased pamphlet that was sent to every household in the country, they have now come to see that it's not anywhere near as bad as they were being told.
These things work both ways, also you were factually wrong with your reply to Mister Fantastic, his response did make sense.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know several people who voted to remain because they believed the lies fed to them in that hugely biased pamphlet that was sent to every household in the country, they have now come to see that it's not anywhere near as bad as they were being told.
These things work both ways, also you were factually wrong with your reply to Mister Fantastic, his response did make sense.
We're struggling to get a f***ing deal and Brexit still hasn't happened yet, how can you possibly ascertain that it's that "not anywhere near as bad as they were being told" when the current outlook is so grim :rofl:
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We're struggling to get a f***ing deal and Brexit still hasn't happened yet, how can you possibly ascertain that it's that "not anywhere near as bad as they were being told" when the current outlook is so grim :rofl:
Because it's not, despite parliaments best efforts to royally **** up the whole process.
And have you read the leaflet, did you hear what messrs Cameron, Osborne et al said would happen just on the vote to leave ( no one ever mentioned article 50 being triggered at the time )
Here's one of them in person

https://youtu.be/IAaeSyjShho
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
New thing to add, we've learnt that many remainers are revisionists.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Because it's not, despite parliaments best efforts to royally **** up the whole process.
And have you read the leaflet, did you hear what messrs Cameron, Osborne et al said would happen just on the vote to leave ( no one ever mentioned article 50 being triggered at the time )
Here's one of them in person

https://youtu.be/IAaeSyjShho
Well, it is, because remainers' biggest fear about leaving was struggling to get a good trade deal, and that's exactly what is happening. We can't blame the lack of a deal on our politicians, it's not as if all the favourable deals in the world are being offered to us.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well, it is, because remainers' biggest fear about leaving was struggling to get a good trade deal, and that's exactly what is happening. We can't blame the lack of a deal on our politicians, it's not as if all the favourable deals in the world are being offered to us.
We will get a good trade deal, all of the EU wants it, it's the withdrawal deal that's currently the issue.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
52% (or 51.9 to be precise) is over half and 48% (or 48.1) but it seems the elitist remainers are forgetting to use maths and frantically serching for anything to flatter their cause.

The poll was options was biast and did not give me an option. Therefore my vote;

What Brexit has taught me is there is an minority elitest group of people whom refuse to evaluate their policies and believe that they are superior in intelligence, education and expertise automatically regardless of personal achievements or experience. These people force opinions on the majority by any means necessary
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
52% (or 51.9 to be precise) is over half and 48% (or 48.1) but it seems the elitist remainers are forgetting to use maths and frantically serching for anything to flatter their cause.

The poll was options was biast and did not give me an option. Therefore my vote;

What Brexit has taught me is there is an minority elitest group of people whom refuse to evaluate their policies and believe that they are superior in intelligence, education and expertise automatically regardless of personal achievements or experience. These people force opinions on the majority by any means necessary
I've always been a strong believer that everyone who is eligible should go out and vote. I won't be leaving my house to vote again. If nothing else Brexit has shown the country that it doesn't matter how you vote and on what manifesto they put up to bribe you with it will never be honoured.

The end game will be the north of England throwing votes at a new party being run by football thugs. Well done everyone.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've always been a strong believer that everyone who is eligible should go out and vote. I won't be leaving my house to vote again. If nothing else Brexit has shown the country that it doesn't matter how you vote and on what manifesto they put up to bribe you with it will never be honoured.

The end game will be the north of England throwing votes at a new party being run by football thugs. Well done everyone.
This is the main thing I fear, I genuinely fear what is going to happen to our democracy far more than I worry about a no deal Brexit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads