International Women's Day 2019 - #BalanceForBetter

Watch
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It's here again! 8th March is International Women's Day 2019 and the theme this year is #BalanceForBetter

Gender inequality is still a huge issue across the globe so it's a really important issue to discuss. The World Economic Forum predicts that the gender gap won't close until 2186. This is too long to wait. Through discussion, awareness, understanding, and change we can help to close this gap sooner.

From grassroots activism to worldwide action, we are entering an exciting period where the world expects balance. We notice its absence and celebrate its presence, with social media and forums like The Student Room playing a big part.

The important thing to remember is that no matter your opinions on certain women or different 'waves' of feminism, gender equality still matters. It's certainly not a women's only event either! The point is equality between genders, not them battling it out. It's something that affects all of us, and is something that we call all get involved with.

Why should it matter to me?

Regardless of your age, gender, sexuality, location, education etc., gender inequality affects us all. Advancing gender equality is so important to all areas of a healthy society, from reducing poverty to promoting the health, education, protection and the well-being of girls and boys. Collective action and shared responsibility for driving a gender-balanced world is key.

What can we do to help fix this issue?
  • Discuss! Even just discussing the issue helps raise awareness and understanding
  • Take action! Speak up if you notice your peers failing to take female figures of authority seriously because of their gender, and when you notice discrimination against them
  • Support! Stand behind campaigns to end harmful practices against women and girls such as FGM, and to change harmful laws that limit the rights of girls and women
  • Fundraise or donate! Funding education for women and girls all over the world can help them gain access to greater opportunities
  • Empower! Encourage your female peers to be successful, and to never back down
  • Address! There are many unconscious biases that can form often unintended and invisible barriers to gender equality. Don't ignore them!
  • Learn! Stay educated on gender inequality and how it happens around the world. Don't be afraid to ask for more information from people that know! The worst thing you can do is put your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist, or ignore how serious it is
username4454836
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The most important thing you can do is educate yourself on the matter, don't just believe everything you are told.

This International Women's Day, not international equality day.
jenhasdreams
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Decahedron)
The most important thing you can do is educate yourself on the matter, don't just believe everything you are told.

This International Women's Day, not international equality day.
Don’t you worry, you have your own special day too.
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jenhasdreams)
Don’t you worry, you have your own special day too.

This is my special day.
kazzykat95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
International Men's Day is on the 19th of November, for everyone who is bound to ask!
jenhasdreams
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Decahedron)

This is my special day.
Ah sorry 😳, am so used to the barrage of “this isn’t equality, wahhh what about us men?” posts every year.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In case you thought women didn't need another excuse to pat themselves on the back.
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ah sorry 😳, am so used to the barrage of “this isn’t equality, wahhh what about us men?” posts every year.
No worries

I want it to be about just women, not broader equality.
jenhasdreams
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
In case you thought women didn't need another excuse to pat themselves on the back.
Well - the patriarchy ain’t gonna do it for us 😉
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well - the patriarchy ain’t gonna do it for us 😉
I need to pat myself on the back to burst all the acne from pcos tbh
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Well ... well, I don't really have a response to that.
jenhasdreams
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
You’ve worked out how to scare the men away - just talk in detail about PCOS and period cramps 😂
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You’ve worked out how to scare the men away - just talk in detail about PCOS and period cramps 😂
:lol:
Francesca22
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Emmerdale is celebrating International Woman's day with having an all-female episode tonight!
chelseadagg3r
Rep:
?
(Original post by Francesca22)
Emmerdale is celebrating International Woman's day with having an all-female episode tonight!
I don't watch Emmerdale but that's pretty cool!
Francesca22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
I don't watch Emmerdale but that's pretty cool!
Yeah, I can't wait to see it
username4349612
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Happy International Women's day. 💜
username4349612
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ernst Rohm)
When is International Aryan day everyone here is literally worse than Hitler
8th of August.
PizzaPie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yayy happy international women's day! Let's raise a glass to the end of sexist gender roles and ridiculously small pockets! I'm not a woman but I'm also not stupid and I hope we get to a point where no one is afraid to walk home alone in the dark or feel that their job prospects are affected by their perceived ability to give birth. My ultimate dream for 2019 would be the dissolution of trans exclusionary radical feminism in exchange for trans friendly feminism <3 we got a long way to go but I hope we're going in a positive direction
chelseadagg3r
Rep:
?
(Original post by PizzaPie)
Yayy happy international women's day! Let's raise a glass to the end of sexist gender roles and ridiculously small pockets! I'm not a woman but I'm also not stupid and I hope we get to a point where no one is afraid to walk home alone in the dark or feel that their job prospects are affected by their perceived ability to give birth. My ultimate dream for 2019 would be the dissolution of trans exclusionary radical feminism in exchange for trans friendly feminism <3 we got a long way to go but I hope we're going in a positive direction
:heart:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (148)
14.61%
I'm not sure (44)
4.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.91%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed