What gives you a bad score from a black box? Watch

Panic123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks for reading!

Obviously I know that speeding is the number one issue for black boxes but what else affects your score?

The reason I ask is that I have bought a 4x4 with the intention of going greenlaning (driving legal unmaintained UK byways open to all traffic) and from experience driving over the rough terrain causes you to brake hard (albeit from a low speed) and then accelerate hard (even if you don't get to a high speed) to get over obstacles. Also, it shakes and tilts the cabin.

The only way I can afford insurance on said 4x4 is by buying telematics insurance as the difference is more than £2000. Obviously the rest of the time I intend to drive as carefully as I can, as the truck can't go fast anyway.

Therefore would this Greenlane driving give me a bad score as I am not actually driving at high speed?

The last thing I want is a canceled policy as I have heard this makes your insurance skyrocket.

Thanks all!
Receptacle
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Mine is measured on 5 categories:

- Safer times of day (score is lowered if you drive in the evening rush hour or after 10 pm)
- Safe speed (not exceeding speed limit and adapting to the type of road you are on)
- Smooth driving (not accelerating or braking hard)
- Taking breaks (stopping every 2.5 hours)
- Motorway driving (motorways are statistically safer than other roads, so driving on them gives you a better score)

Overall I’ve found my score doesn’t change that much unless I’ve driven consistently badly, the only person I’ve known to be warned their policy would be cancelled if they didn’t change their driving had been racing people and going over 100mph. They haven’t since so still have the insurance. It sounds like the only issue you would have would be with the smooth driving, but from my experience with my black box, I doubt it would impact your score significantly if you drive sensibly the rest of the time. I’m sure some are more sensitive than mine though!

The score I get translates to how many bonus miles I get on top of the ones I chose in the policy, so unless I think I might run out, it doesn’t matter if the score isn’t perfect.

Hope that helps!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
xDron3
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1) Excessive Speed, not just the speed limit but also for the road. Doing a 60 on a national speed limit country road (which is legal) could still cause problems.
2) Sharp Cornering
3) Sudden braking
4) Quick Acceleration
5) Long journeys, my old one penalised if it was longer than an hour
6) Excessive small journeys
7) Time of day, late at night and rush hour usually penalises

8) Literally anything. Black boxes are the devil

I'd avoid it if you can.
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From what i've heard, yes, offroad driving will trigger them.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Panic123)
Thanks for reading!

Obviously I know that speeding is the number one issue for black boxes but what else affects your score?

The reason I ask is that I have bought a 4x4 with the intention of going greenlaning (driving legal unmaintained UK byways open to all traffic) and from experience driving over the rough terrain causes you to brake hard (albeit from a low speed) and then accelerate hard (even if you don't get to a high speed) to get over obstacles. Also, it shakes and tilts the cabin.

The only way I can afford insurance on said 4x4 is by buying telematics insurance as the difference is more than £2000. Obviously the rest of the time I intend to drive as carefully as I can, as the truck can't go fast anyway.

Therefore would this Greenlane driving give me a bad score as I am not actually driving at high speed?

The last thing I want is a canceled policy as I have heard this makes your insurance skyrocket.

Thanks all!
They're not going to like you.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks for reading!

Driving like a maniac
Panic123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks all! I'm trying to avoid a black box but it just doesn't seem to be possible if you are after a decent 1st-year quote
(Original post by xDron3)
1) Excessive Speed, not just the speed limit but also for the road. Doing a 60 on a national speed limit country road (which is legal) could still cause problems.
2) Sharp Cornering
3) Sudden braking
4) Quick Acceleration
Does it calculate that you are cornering sharply/braking sharply using gps or using data from the cars obd port?

If it uses GPS since the max speed you go on a Greenlane is around 10mph, would braking from 10/accelerating to 10 quickly be noticed? It's not like id be accelerating to 50.

Thanks for your replies
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks all! I'm trying to avoid a black box but it just doesn't seem to be possible if you are after a decent 1st-year quote

Does it calculate that you are cornering sharply/braking sharply using gps or using data from the cars obd port?

If it uses GPS since the max speed you go on a Greenlane is around 10mph, would braking from 10/accelerating to 10 quickly be noticed? It's not like id be accelerating to 50.

Thanks for your replies
It's really not going to enjoy the bumps - wouldn't surprise me if you got a call every now and then telling you that you've had an accident!
Maryelizabeth21
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
It depends on the insurance company.
Mine is RAC black box and generally it’s pretty good. It measures:

-speed (speeding)
-acceleration
-braking
-night driving
-urban driving

I’ve not had issues except that I work in the city centre so my urban driving is always low. But the others make up for it.

I suppose it depends how much Greenlaning you do. If it’s every week it will probably impact your score a fair bit, if it’s not too often it should be fine.
I had a week where my score went down to (50/100 overall because it was in a garage and they were testing it all the time not driving carefully etc. After a week of me driving again it was back up to 95.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads