What sort of grades do law students actually enrol with?

Watch
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
___
Last edited by J Papi; 6 months ago
username3917068
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cheers papa John.

Get Notoriety to update the other unis as well - AAA unis who frequently accept AAB/ABB students (this inc notts and exeter, no shade ). This way ABB students can be a little less misled by the entry requirement before firming places such as Essex or Reading when they actually have a shot at "better" unis.
esrever
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did you make up the name "John Dimitroulopoulos" . Sounds like an east European dinosaur.
MagCar
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for sharing. Look forward to seeing that of Notts, Durham and Bristol
(Original post by JohanGRK)
... at least at the top unis for law? I submitted several FOI requests asking the following:

1. A complete, anonymised list of all (I)GCSE grades achieved by the students who enrolled in the M100 law course following the relevant admissions period.

2. A complete, anonymised list of all A-level grades achieved by the students who enrolled in the M100 law course following the relevant admissions period.

3. A complete, anonymised list of all IB grades achieved by the students who enrolled in the M100 law course following the relevant admissions period.

Five universities have replied so far: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, and KCL. I have attached their responses below. Please note that the data only pertains to the law students who enrolled at these universities in September 2018.

The data from Nottingham, Durham, Exeter, Bristol and QMUL is pending (as usual). I'll update the OP as the responses trickle in.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
... at least at the top unis for law? I submitted several FOI requests asking the following:

1. A complete, anonymised list of all (I)GCSE grades achieved by the students who enrolled in the M100 law course following the relevant admissions period.

2. A complete, anonymised list of all A-level grades achieved by the students who enrolled in the M100 law course following the relevant admissions period.

3. A complete, anonymised list of all IB grades achieved by the students who enrolled in the M100 law course following the relevant admissions period.

Five universities have replied so far: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, and KCL. I have attached their responses below. Please note that the data only pertains to the law students who enrolled at these universities in September 2018.

The data from Nottingham, Durham, Exeter, Bristol and QMUL is pending (as usual). I'll update the OP as the responses trickle in.
Very interesting! I like the way Cambridge went the extra mile and even listed the A level subjects that applicants got in with - God bless em. It's very useful information.

Edited to say I suppose the only thing it doesn't show is the reasons why, even at these top Unis, some people got in with grades below the usual standard. I suppose it's common sense that the few anomolies are due to people being mature or having extenuating cirumstances? I will study these lists with great interest.
Last edited by harrysbar; 1 year ago
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by esrever)
Did you make up the name "John Dimitroulopoulos" . Sounds like an east European dinosaur.
I like that there's always one person who thinks they're Inspector Gadget for finding info which is linked and publicly accessible.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lady Jamie)
Cheers papa John.

Get Notoriety to update the other unis as well - AAA unis who frequently accept AAB/ABB students (this inc notts and exeter, no shade ). This way ABB students can be a little less misled by the entry requirement before firming places such as Essex or Reading when they actually have a shot at "better" unis.
And the TEF Silver Manchester.
Last edited by Notoriety; 1 year ago
esrever
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I like that there's always one person who thinks they're Inspector Gadget for finding info which is linked and publicly accessible.
I like how you feel the need to reply when I clearly was not talking to you
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Hats off to you

:hat2: :hat2: :hat2:
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by esrever)
I like how you feel the need to reply when I clearly was not talking to you
username3917068
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And the TEF Silver Manchester.
Well duh.

How else do u think I’m getting by? I need the BBBers to bump up my grades. Yes. I confess.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well duh.

How else do u think I’m getting by? I need the BBBers to bump up my grades. Yes. I confess.
I did these requests in Dec 2017 and Manc was the only one that simply did not even respond. But it's safe to say they're just as dishonest as all the other unis in that tier.

I can't be bothered to list all the FOIs I did, as they're a bit all over the place, but will link my account with all of 'em on there.

Mine: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/user/...way_2/requests

And Young'un John's: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/user/...mitroulopoulos
username3917068
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did these requests in Dec 2017 and Manc was the only one that simply did not even respond. But it's safe to say they're just as dishonest as all the other unis in that tier.

I can't be bothered to list all the FOIs I did, as they're a bit all over the place, but will link my account with all of 'em on there.

HAHAHA they straight up ignored u. I love my uni

U were probably deemed unworthy by the admin team and therefore deserved no reply. U along with 90% of the enrolled student body...

But cheers for the link, Mr Hemingway.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
HAHAHA they straight up ignored u. I love my uni

U were probably deemed unworthy by the admin team and therefore deserved no reply. U along with 90% of the enrolled student body...

But cheers for the link, Mr Hemingway.
It's a sign of an under-resourced uni. See the difference between how Cambridge responds versus Kent. Poor Manc; no wonder they're on Silver.

No worries, Inspector Gadget.
J Papi
Rep:
?

I'll send out the same set of questions to another 10 or so universities - Manchester, Birmingham, etc. I don't expect much of them, but the more information that is out there, the better.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Strathclyde University has also gotten back to me... Let me know if you'd like a link to the grades achieved by students who enrolled at this highly selective institution.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Strathclyde University has also gotten back to me... Let me know if you'd like a link to the grades achieved by students who enrolled at this highly selective institution.
I'm good.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So was I, but I can't resist showing the utter ridiculousness of the 'entry tariff' metric on league tables now that most students in England don't do 4 AS-level qualifications and now that Scottish tariffs have been inflated.

Not a single one of these retards could achieve an A*, and yet this metric is still being included in league tables on the basis that more entry points = more selectivity or a more academic student body or something.
Actually, good point. Entry standards have long been something I've been moaning about. It'll be useful to quieten the Scotch lot. (Although I have to admit I ordinarily switch off whenever Beyond-The-Wall is mentioned.)

Spoiler:
Show
btw cheers for the 11th gem big lad
Last edited by Notoriety; 1 year ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Spoiler:
Show
btw cheers for the 11th gem big lad
Don't go changing
J Papi
Rep:
?
Update on the requests:

- Bristol refused to provide the data on the basis that it could result in the individuals being identified :yawn:
- Exeter pulled some dodgy **** and forced me to submit a new request

...but... QMUL, Edinburgh and Strathclyde got back to me!

Straths is interesting because it shows how an intake composed of students who overwhelmingly studied Scottish qualifications can help a university's entry tariff... even if these qualifications don't include 'good' grades. Compare the A-level and IB scores achieved by Straths students to those of students at Oxford/Durham/LSE/UCL/KCL... universities whose formal entry tariff is pretty much the same.

Edin's data is very sparse because there are barely a dozen non-Scottish students there, so the uni just gave me the highest and lowest grades achieved in A-levels, IB, and GCSE, which means **** all. I was more interested in the juicy bit in the middle...
Last edited by J Papi; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (112)
28%
No (288)
72%

Watched Threads