Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Yesterday we were asked what percentage of human body weight is blood and I was surprised it was only 7%.
Yet the body is made up of over 60% water. I thought the weight of blood would be much higher than 7%. I know there is lymph and tissue fluid, but there are also millions of fine blood capillaries etc all over the body including large volumes of blood in the aorta etc. I thought it would be a lot more than 7%. Why is this?
Last edited by Ambitious1999; 7 months ago
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
there are other fluids too - one such being tissue fluid

also if you think about it, it makes sense - since there is on average 5 liters of blood (roughly 5kg)and the average weight is 60-70kg
Last edited by 134841422; 7 months ago
username3154862
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
Yesterday we were asked what percentage of human body weight is blood and I was surprised it was only 7%.
Yet the body is made up of over 60% water. I thought the weight of blood would me much higher than 7%. Why is this?
Well, you need to factor in that muscle, bone and organs make up a lot of your body mass. All of these are quite dense in comparison to blood.

Also, a lot of the water is actually held in your cell's cytoplasm as the water is actually pulled from your bloodstream into these cells to balance out certain ions like sodium. Too much water in the blood is actually a bad thing as it pulls sodium out of your cells and packs your cells with water leading to possible bursting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27%
Not great so far... (283)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed