Want more information about this university?
MatteoDs
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I basically got rejected from all my UCAS choices (SOAS offered me a foundation year programme but I rejected it).
I'm an EU student with an Italian diploma with an overall score of 76/100.
QMUL requires Italian students to have an overall score of 80/100. Do you think my application through UCAS extra can be taken into consideration? Can they be flexible about 4 points?
It's getting very hard for me to choose a university because I really wish to study in London but I wanna go to a decent university. To me it feels like in London there are the top universities in the world (King's, LSE, UCL, Imperial) and then all the rest is basically ****. I'm not saying it's true it's just my feeling.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MatteoDs)
I basically got rejected from all my UCAS choices (SOAS offered me a foundation year programme but I rejected it).
QMUL requires Italian students to have an overall score of 80/100. Do you think my application through UCAS extra can be taken into consideration? Can they be flexible about 4 points?
It's getting very hard for me to choose a university because I really wish to study in London but I wanna go to a decent university. To me it feels like in London there are the top universities in the world (King's, LSE, UCL, Imperial) and then all the rest is basically ****. I'm not saying it's true it's just my feeling.
I agree that London Unis are a bit like that ...very good or pretty bad with not much in the middle.

Sorry to say this but if QMUL have already rejected your application, they are unlikely to accept it in Extra. They may possibly accept it in Clearing, but there are obviously no guarantees about that.

I would advise you to check with QMUL before putting them down as your Extra choice and potentially wasting time when you could be applying to a Uni that is happy to accept your 76 score. I don't know if you have considered City Uni, but if you have run out of options in London, would you consider a Uni that is close to London such as Surrey or Royal Holloway? RH is actually still a part of the University of London, but based a 40 minute train journey away in Surrey. Another option would be Reading Uni as they are only a 25/30 minute journey into London.
1Person
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Rieccolo qui il Milanese. Ciao, come va oggi (:laugh:)?
Anyway, I will try to help you by saying that if SOAS rejected you then I am 99% sure QMUL will as well, but since you don't have anything to lose at this point you could still try and maybe you might get lucky.
In regard to your statement on London universities, you are quite wrong. There are some really prestigious universities in London, then good and bad ones as well, but it's not like they are all bad except for the four you quoted. QMUL is still decent at least.
Also, I don't want to offend anyone (though probably someone's feelings will get hurt :bawling:) but KCL is not really on the same league as LSE, UCL and Imperial for the majority of their subjects (I am not saying all, okay?). KCL is a good university, like many others in the UK, but the other ones are, in my opinion, closer to Oxbridge, especially in terms of worldwide prestige.
MatteoDs
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I agree that London Unis are a bit like that ...very good or pretty bad with not much in the middle.

Sorry to say this but if QMUL have already rejected your application, they are unlikely to accept it in Extra. They may possibly accept it in Clearing, but there are obviously no guarantees about that.

I would advise you to check with QMUL before putting them down as your Extra choice and potentially wasting time when you could be applying to a Uni that is happy to accept your 76 score. I don't know if you have considered City Uni, but if you have run out of options in London, would you consider a Uni that is close to London such as Surrey or Royal Holloway? RH is actually still a part of the University of London, but based a 40 minute train journey away in Surrey. Another option would be Reading Uni as they are only a 25/30 minute journey into London.
No sorry I explained my self wrongly. I haven't applied to Queen Mary yet. I got a rejection from Cass Business School, King's, and SOAS (foundation year). Yes I think the only ones in the middle (as I can see from the rankings) are University of Surrey, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway and University of Reading.
I don't know where to apply first lol
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would place QMUL first since you ideally want to be in London, but contact Admissions first to check whether they are encouraging about someone with 76 applying, or not. They can be flexible with the 4 points if they want to be, it all depends on how many other applicants they have and what sort of grades they are applying with. If you have no luck with them, I would probably try either RH (University of London) or Reading, due to the fast train into London (when Crossrail opens, the train will go directly into Bond Street). They are both likely to be more flexible than QMUL
MatteoDs
Rep:
?
Thanks for your reply, can I ask you something else. Why do you think that Reading/Surrey which are good universities (so higher positions in world rankings compared to QMUL) can be more flexible than QMUL? Is it just the location?
I would place QMUL first since you ideally want to be in London, but contact Admissions first to check whether they are encouraging about someone with 76 applying, or not. They can be flexible with the 4 points if they want to be, it all depends on how many other applicants they have and what sort of grades they are applying with. If you have no luck with them, I would probably try either RH (University of London) or Reading, due to the fast train into London (when Crossrail opens, the train will go directly into Bond Street). They are both likely to be more flexible than QMUL
RSnia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 1Person)
Rieccolo qui il Milanese. Ciao, come va oggi (:laugh:)?
Anyway, I will try to help you by saying that if SOAS rejected you then I am 99% sure QMUL will as well, but since you don't have anything to lose at this point you could still try and maybe you might get lucky.
In regard to your statement on London universities, you are quite wrong. There are some really prestigious universities in London, then good and bad ones as well, but it's not like they are all bad except for the four you quoted. QMUL is still decent at least.
Also, I don't want to offend anyone (though probably someone's feelings will get hurt :bawling:) but KCL is not really on the same league as LSE, UCL and Imperial for the majority of their subjects (I am not saying all, okay?). KCL is a good university, like many others in the UK, but the other ones are, in my opinion, closer to Oxbridge, especially in terms of worldwide prestige.
That is actually not true at all. There’s no uni that’s good at EVERY subject. nobody in their right mind would choose UCL over KCL for international relations and security related subjects for example. Each uni has their strengths and weaknesses and KCL is by no means inferior, just has some less reputable courses in comparison, but so do UCL and LSE
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for your reply, can I ask you something else. Why do you think that Reading/Surrey which are good universities (so higher positions in world rankings compared to QMUL) can be more flexible than QMUL? Is it just the location?
It's the location and the Russell Group effect. RG Unis aren't necessarily any better than non RG at undergraduate level, but they are marketed in such a way that most young people assume they are better. Then it becomes a bit of a self fulfilling prophesy because the fact that RG unis get more applications means that they can afford to be more selective
MatteoDs
Rep:
?
Yes absolutely. I think I will try QMUL but Reading and Surrey are very well ranked for Business & Economics (100 places ahead of QMUL).Yes but what's the point of that? Russell Group universities are well known for doing research not for their undergrad programmes.
It's the location and the Russell Group effect. RG Unis aren't necessarily any better than non RG at undergraduate level, but they are marketed in such a way that most young people assume they are better. Then it becomes a bit of a self fulfilling prophesy because the fact that RG unis get more applications means that they can afford to be more selective
1Person
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RSnia)
That is actually not true at all. There’s no uni that’s good at EVERY subject. nobody in their right mind would choose UCL over KCL for international relations and security related subjects for example. Each uni has their strengths and weaknesses and KCL is by no means inferior, just has some less reputable courses in comparison, but so do UCL and LSE
Indeed, I said already that KCL is better for some subjects in my previous post. In general terms, KCL is definitely a much less valuable university than UCL, LSE and Imperial, without a shadow of a doubt.
Anyway, looking at your recent posts on this forum it seems like you are going to study for a master at KCL, therefore I see why you are trying to defend your future university here. lol, I said someone's feelings would have been hurt eventually.

Ps. Don't hate me for that, please
Last edited by 1Person; 1 year ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes absolutely. I think I will try QMUL but Reading and Surrey are very well ranked for Business & Economics (100 places ahead of QMUL).Yes but what's the point of that? Russell Group universities are well known for doing research not for their undergrad programmes.
People get confused. They know that RG Unis are "good" in some vague way and don't question why that is or whether other unis would be just as good (or better) for their subject
RSnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Indeed, I said already that KCL is better for some subjects in my previous post. In general terms, KCL is definitely a much less valuable university than UCL, LSE and Imperial, without a shadow of a doubt.
Anyway, looking at your recent posts on this forum it seems like you are going to study for a master at KCL, therefore I see why you are trying to defend your future university here. lol, I said someone's feelings would have been hurt eventually.
Its okay, i was actually accepted into KCL, UCL and LSE, rejected the last one because honestly I can’t justify spending 25k just on fees. But UCL accepts just about anyone for International relations. But then again that’s one of the fields KCL is good at so I see your point. Either way, if you’re going for courses like law, medicine, dentistry, politics, nursing etc King’s is a top choice. Some others not so much. But I wouldn’t go so far as saying it’s inferior, because if you take it that way who on earth would go to imperial for social studies? Even though it’s a great university, just for other subjects. I just don’t like generalisations (: no offence taken, I’m comfortable with my life choices
1Person
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No one would go to Imperial to study for a social science degree since Imperial doesn't offer anything like that but only the courses listed here: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/
Therefore Imperial isn't great 'just for other subjects' (to quote you) but it actually is the very best in EVERY AND SINGLE subject that it offers which means that... well, you are quite wrong again.
(Original post by RSnia)
Its okay, i was actually accepted into KCL, UCL and LSE, rejected the last one because honestly I can’t justify spending 25k just on fees. But UCL accepts just about anyone for International relations. But then again that’s one of the fields KCL is good at so I see your point. Either way, if you’re going for courses like law, medicine, dentistry, politics, nursing etc King’s is a top choice. Some others not so much. But I wouldn’t go so far as saying it’s inferior, because if you take it that way who on earth would go to imperial for social studies? Even though it’s a great university, just for other subjects. I just don’t like generalisations (: no offence taken, I’m comfortable with my life choices
RSnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No one would go to Imperial to study for a social science degree since Imperial doesn't offer anything like that but only the courses listed here: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/
Therefore Imperial isn't great 'just for other subjects' (to quote you) but it actually is the very best in EVERY AND SINGLE subject that it offers which means that... well, you are quite wrong again.
Oh dear, you didn’t get it.
Anyway. Sure, whatever you say. Just try thinking critically once in a while
1Person
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RSnia)
Oh dear, you didn’t get it.
Anyway. Sure, whatever you say. Just try thinking critically once in a while
Me? :lol: You just said something wrong and I noted that to you. I am sorry that you got offended but you are just trying to put KCL on a pedestal a little bit too hard.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RSnia)
Its okay, i was actually accepted into KCL, UCL and LSE, rejected the last one because honestly I can’t justify spending 25k just on fees. But UCL accepts just about anyone for International relations. But then again that’s one of the fields KCL is good at so I see your point.
I seriously doubt that
RSnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I seriously doubt that
Don’t know if it’s commonplace, but someone from my undergrad course got into UCL (for European policy specifically) and she was honestly not the brightest. Her qualifications definitely weren’t top notch, which was surprising. But UCL doesn’t rank that high for politics and IR to be fair
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RSnia)
Don’t know if it’s commonplace, but someone from my undergrad course got into UCL (for European policy specifically) and she was honestly not the brightest. Her qualifications definitely weren’t top notch, which was surprising. But UCL doesn’t rank that high for politics and IR to be fair
Her qualifications may have been better than you assumed from talking to her since they still want AAA or equivalent) for IR, despite it being a new course
RSnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Her qualifications may have been better than you assumed from talking to her since they still want AAA or equivalent) for IR, despite it being a new course
Oh hold on, I’m talking about postgrad. I’ve already graduated, sorry for the confusion 😂
1Person
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RSnia)
UCL doesn’t rank that high for politics and IR to be fair
Could you please link us a source for this pretentious statement of yours?

Maybe you should just check out some national league tables before talking. For example:
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ngs?s=Politics
UCL is just third in the country.
And KCL is 14th.

And I am not even the one saying that one of those two universities is not that good for politics.
Last edited by 1Person; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (440)
56.19%
I don't have everything I need (343)
43.81%

Watched Threads