NikoNikoNeekaps
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am currently in year 12 and intend to apply to Cambridge and the LSE (CS at Cambridge, Finance or Economics at the LSE). I study maths, further maths, computing, physics and btec level 3 engineering, although I may drop further maths after AS. I am predicted A's for physics, maths, A/A* for computing, distinction in engineering and with some effort can probably get B/C in AS further maths.

What can I do between now and the summer to improve my chances of getting an offer? My only extracurriculars are playing brass and boxing, and I may do an EPQ on either machine learning or something to do with finance/economics.

Edit: It should be added that if I was to get into LSE I would aim for Investement Banking as a career.
Last edited by NikoNikoNeekaps; 2 years ago
esrever
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NikoNikoNeekaps)
I am currently in year 12 and intend to apply to Cambridge and the LSE (CS at Cambridge, Finance or Economics at the LSE). I study maths, further maths, computing, physics and btec level 3 engineering, although I may drop further maths after AS. I am predicted A's for physics, maths, A/A* for computing, distinction in engineering and with some effort can probably get B/C in AS further maths.

What can I do between now and the summer to improve my chances of getting an offer? My only extracurriculars are playing brass and boxing, and I may do an EPQ on either machine learning or something to do with finance/economics.

Edit: It should be added that if I was to get into LSE I would aim for Investement Banking as a career.
I'm not too sure about requirements of econ degrees but I think further maths would be much more useful than BTEC engineering or computer science. I know it's a bit late now but I think these unis would prefer 3A* over a mixture of A's and A* in 4 subjects. A* in maths is especially recommended. I'll tag in Doones.
GP-Luffy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Considering you are applying to Econs in LSE, it would be a slight disadvantage if you were to drop further maths since LSE do prefer applicants with Further Maths, furthermore you are applying for CS in Cambridge so it seems illogical to drop further maths. You probably should just focus on your A-Levels and get really good grades rather than scoring a mixture of A/A*, but do take into consideration that your personal statement and reference letter is as equally as important so yeah, think about what you should do.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
LSE places huge emphasis on the Personal Statement. If your PS indicates that you're applying to computer science elsewhere, you're extremely unlikely to get an offer.

Why not apply to Economics at both LSE and Cambridge?
1Person
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why two different courses?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NikoNikoNeekaps)

It's rather strange to pick 2 completely different courses. Also you can go into IB with a degree in CompSci (or anything actually).

And what about your 3 other university choices?

Cambridge won't count your BTEC for CompSci, and I doubt if LSE would for Economics. You need to check this direct with LSE. http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...y-Requirements
"BTEC Level 3 qualifications (BTEC Nationals) are looked at on an individual basis for admission to LSE. Due to the structure and assessment of BTECs, they are not regarded as providing as good a preparation for our degree programmes as more academic qualifications."

Fundamentally AAA at A-level is not sufficient for either LSE (A*AA, with the A* in Maths) or Cambridge (A*A*A).
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un.../BSc-Economics
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....y-requirements

From your current profile I'd say both LSE and Cambridge will be a stretch, sorry.
(Original post by esrever)
I'm not too sure about requirements of econ degrees but I think further maths would be much more useful than BTEC engineering or computer science. I know it's a bit late now but I think these unis would prefer 3A* over a mixture of A's and A* in 4 subjects. A* in maths is especially recommended. I'll tag in Doones.
:yy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (77)
29.06%
No (188)
70.94%

Watched Threads