anactualmess
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Creatinine is a breakdown product of creatine found in muscle tissues. Apart from age and gender, give two factors that could affect the concentration of creatinine in the blood.
2007PSanHa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
-Kidney disease
-Muscle mass
-Dehydration
-Blood volume
-Meat consumption
-Certain medications
-Creatinine dietary supplement
Jpw1097
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anactualmess)
Creatinine is a breakdown product of creatine found in muscle tissues. Apart from age and gender, give two factors that could affect the concentration of creatinine in the blood.
The concentration of creatinine in the blood is often used to estimate kidney function. Creatinine is excreted by the kidneys, so the higher the kidney function, the lower the creatinine concentration and vice versa.
Since creatinine is a breakdown product of creatine in muscles, the greater the muscle mass, the greater the creatinine concentration.
Also, creatinine concentration depends on ethnicity to an extent, although this is probably more related to muscle mass rather than ethnicity directly. For example, Afro-caribbean tend to have greater muscle mass and so for a given kidney function, they tend to have a higher creatinine concentration.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (429)
56.75%
I don't have everything I need (327)
43.25%

Watched Threads