The Student Room Group

What will happen if you fail a module in second year

This year we were given a compulsory placement styled module which has 2 main components. The placement part of the module is that you have to do some form of placement for 75 hours, fill out a log book, 2500 word report and a poster. The second half of the module is a presentation in which a group of 6 people are given a question and create a presentation which has to be performed infront of the entire year. The presentation wont be marked but we later have to fill out a logbook and a 1500 word essay on the experience. I thought that I had originally found a placement at a real estate company and I stupidly waited for them to get back in touch and when I called up it turned out that they cant take any volunteers at the moment. I have now been applying to charity shops left right and centre trying to find something and every single one has rejected me on the basis that they would like a minimum of 12 months and it is a an apparent 'long and comprehensive process'. I am now running out of option and if I cant do my placement then I cant do half of the work. I think I will still fail even if I did the entirety of the presentation part of the module too. Will I be forced to re sit the entire year. My average grades for all my other modules are around 64%. I feel like having a breakdown right now since this is my 5th rejection today on top of all my coming deadlines. The university even said that they cant find our placements for us and now I just feel stuck
What kind of volunteering are you looking for and what subject are you studying? Normally charity shops recruit volunteers on an ongoing basis but you mention they are looking for a year minimum. Have you contacted other companies you are interested in or visited your local volunteer centre, or look at do-it.org which shows volunteering opportunities in your area?

If you did fail the module but your other marks were good, I don't think you would be expected to resit the year. Every university has their own policy - it may be that you might have to redo the module. How many credits is it worth?
Original post by lukethomas97
This year we were given a compulsory placement styled module which has 2 main components. The placement part of the module is that you have to do some form of placement for 75 hours, fill out a log book, 2500 word report and a poster. The second half of the module is a presentation in which a group of 6 people are given a question and create a presentation which has to be performed infront of the entire year. The presentation wont be marked but we later have to fill out a logbook and a 1500 word essay on the experience. I thought that I had originally found a placement at a real estate company and I stupidly waited for them to get back in touch and when I called up it turned out that they cant take any volunteers at the moment. I have now been applying to charity shops left right and centre trying to find something and every single one has rejected me on the basis that they would like a minimum of 12 months and it is a an apparent 'long and comprehensive process'. I am now running out of option and if I cant do my placement then I cant do half of the work. I think I will still fail even if I did the entirety of the presentation part of the module too. Will I be forced to re sit the entire year. My average grades for all my other modules are around 64%. I feel like having a breakdown right now since this is my 5th rejection today on top of all my coming deadlines. The university even said that they cant find our placements for us and now I just feel stuck
They told us that it can be anything it doesn't even have to be relevant to our subject. It is worth 20 credits just like every other module. Ill be able to do half the work without the placement if I don't find one but even then im not sure if Ill get higher than 20 marks
Original post by cheesecakelove
What kind of volunteering are you looking for and what subject are you studying? Normally charity shops recruit volunteers on an ongoing basis but you mention they are looking for a year minimum. Have you contacted other companies you are interested in or visited your local volunteer centre, or look at do-it.org which shows volunteering opportunities in your area?

If you did fail the module but your other marks were good, I don't think you would be expected to resit the year. Every university has their own policy - it may be that you might have to redo the module. How many credits is it worth?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending