The Student Room Logo
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick University - Eng Lit and Creative Writing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
How did everyon's email interviews go? Just got an email saying I need to do an interview and any tips would be helpful.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
My housemate did this course. He swapped to straight Lit because it was just too ridiculous.

Any current students on the course will know what I'm talking about...
Original post by Callum828
My housemate did this course. He swapped to straight Lit because it was just too ridiculous.

Any current students on the course will know what I'm talking about...

I've applied for this course... what do you mean by ridiculous, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Mouse Potato
I've applied for this course... what do you mean by ridiculous, if you don't mind me asking?

My friend was told that they all had to write under an alter-ego, 'the other'. He thought it was a waste of time so just made his 'bob', another girl in the group insisted on being called 'Talula Hasslebank' for the rest of the term.
Reply 24
I've applied for this too this year...but have a feeling now I may not get an interview because of all the competition. And the comment above is kind of worrying...
Reply 25
Original post by writer27
I've applied for this too this year...but have a feeling now I may not get an interview because of all the competition. And the comment above is kind of worrying...

Yeah i thought the alter ego thing was a bit stupid...not as stupid as quitting a course because of one aspect of one seminar though in one year, thats a whole 'nother level.
My friend was told that they all had to write under an alter-ego, 'the other'. He thought it was a waste of time so just made his 'bob', another girl in the group insisted on being called 'Talula Hasslebank' for the rest of the term.

Wow... that sounds really, really odd. Sounds like something out of some cheap horror novel... was there a reason behind it at all? That's really strange... :s-smilie:
Wow... that sounds really, really odd. Sounds like something out of some cheap horror novel... was there a reason behind it at all? That's really strange... :s-smilie:

There was a load more but I can't recall any right now. Just bear in mind that it will be full of pretentious types, it is creative writing, after all.
Reply 28
There was a load more but I can't recall any right now. Just bear in mind that it will be full of pretentious types, it is creative writing, after all.

Yeah, creativity is always pretentious. We should all think in exactly the same way about everything, and only deal with real stuff and not made-up stuff. Jeez, what else is the amazing thing that is the human mind for? What do people expect, individuality? New ideas? Thinking differently? Conventional minds only please, otherwise you might not become a good little employee and taxpayer and then where would be be?
Reply 29

Hi Callum, care to engage with some one who might be able to respond to your 'opinions'.
Guys, I really don't have any problem with CW students or particularly care. I'm just stating what my housemate told me it was like.
I got an interview! I have no idea how, I'm really quite shocked! :eek:
Reply 32
I got an interview! I have no idea how, I'm really quite shocked! :eek:

Well done - I got an interview too! :biggrin: Do you have to send a portfolio? I'm kinda worried as they want at least ten pages single spaced sent in post by the 14th - have no idea how I will fit it in with all the school work I have... :s-smilie:
Original post by writer27
Well done - I got an interview too! :biggrin: Do you have to send a portfolio? I'm kinda worried as they want at least ten pages single spaced sent in post by the 14th - have no idea how I will fit it in with all the school work I have... :s-smilie:

Yup. I already have a portfolio that I sent to UEA earlier this month, so I'm going to pad that out by including a few more pages. It's made up of extracts from 3 novels I've worked on in the past 3 months. 2 are character based, 1 is plot based. I've got far more pages of material available from all 3, so it's really just going to be about picking and choosing what to submit. I'll probably make my explanations a bit longer too, as UEA didn't give much space for it.

My advice is just pick 10 pages of what you feel is your best work to date (but fairly recent. 3 months is pretty tight in my opinion, I think 6 months would also be okay) and then write the 2 pages about your inspiration, what you were hoping to achieve etc. Don't write 'for the occasion' so to speak. :smile:
Reply 34
I got an interview too! I'm really quite apprehensive as I can't remember a single time when I have made a good first impression :/ what kind of questions do you think there will be?
Reply 35
I got an interview as well! Really nervous about it; been looking up the contents included in the course so I can discuss it a little if it comes up, and re-reading over everything I mentioned in my personal statement. Other than that, I'm not sure how to prepare :eek:

As for the portfolio, I haven't written much in the past three months due to impending exams and coursework deadlines :dots: so am just a teensy bit terrified about that. :biggrin:

Good luck to the above who're also attending the interview :biggrin: Hope to see you there!
Reply 36
Good luck to you guys who got interviews. (:
I haven't heard back yet so I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I have a rejection coming in five days. xD Which is fine.
But hope your interviews all go well !~
Reply 37
Original post by awe
Good luck to you guys who got interviews. (:
I haven't heard back yet so I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I have a rejection coming in five days. xD Which is fine.
But hope your interviews all go well !~

:O Have you heard back yet? I hope they get/got back to you :s-smilie:

__

Seriously bricking it now xD Been researching into renaissance literature, and reading through a few renowned novels/pieces of poetry so I can actually discuss something. Other than that... :eek:
Reply 38
Original post by Kayeffsee
:O Have you heard back yet? I hope they get/got back to you :s-smilie:

__

Seriously bricking it now xD Been researching into renaissance literature, and reading through a few renowned novels/pieces of poetry so I can actually discuss something. Other than that... :eek:

Yup - got my rejection the other day. Quite a big relief - I was probably not going to put it as a choice anyway, but now I don't have to go through the 'should I... or shouldn't I?' anxiety. (:

I'm sure it will be better than your worries tell you it will be. (: Relax! And again, good luck.

I don't know whether that's the oddest or most hilarious thing I've ever heard!

Original post by awe
Yup - got my rejection the other day. Quite a big relief - I was probably not going to put it as a choice anyway, but now I don't have to go through the 'should I... or shouldn't I?' anxiety. (:

I'm sure it will be better than your worries tell you it will be. (: Relax! And again, good luck.

I get what you mean, the whole worrying about which course to choose is part of the reason I changed my mind about applying to Warwick. I would have found it impossible to choose between Warwick and UEA if I'd got a Warwick offer too.
What happened with UEA? You applied there too didn't you? Hope everything is going well! Haven't *seen* you around for ages! :hugs:

Good luck to everyone with interviews coming up! You'll all be great! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Latest