username4460696
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Right so this is a different story and not one where I've seen a thread on which is related to my context. I have revised since start of year 12. When I say this I mean making all my flashcards and notes and now they are all complete. I have been doing question packs weekly since December A2 since getting appauling A-levels (ABC in maths, chemistry and Biology respectively). So it's not like I am starting revision fresh for now onwards.
This is my plan; is this sufficient for those A*s?

My strategy is this:
I haven't completed all the exercises in my maths textbook so will do a mixed exercise everyday to hopefully cover them all but not every exercise.
Every day (weekdays) do 1 hour of active recall of flashcards, either the feymanns technique or blurting (this has proven to boost your grades). Then a single past paper- analysing it and working on weak topics and a question pack from exampro starting from my weakest topics.

Weekends: 12 past papers in total and 6 question packs in total (again weak topics) This means I should have covered around 68 pp for each subject hopefully

the most important thing is that I need to understand the topics for my topics as in the exam they can throw anything at you, so using the feymanns technique for this will be great.

Honestly, does this plan seem fine for 3A*s, instead of passive learning I'm really trying to make it active recall with sufficient past papers as I really want the grades. So knowing the context of my situation, what do you guys think?
Last edited by username4460696; 1 year ago
username4164712
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TSR1515)
Right so this is a different story and not one where I've seen a thread on which is related to my context. I have revised since start of year 12. When I say this I mean making all my flashcards and notes and now they are all complete. I have been doing question packs weekly since December A2 since getting appauling A-levels (ABC in maths, chemistry and Biology respectively). So it's not like I am starting revision fresh for now onwards.

My strategy is this:
I haven't completed all the exercises in my maths textbook so will do a mixed exercise everyday to hopefully cover them all but not every exercise.
Every day (weekdays) do 1 hour of active recall of flashcards, either the feymanns technique or blurting (this has proven to boost your grades). Then a single past paper- analysing it and working on weak topics and a question pack from exampro starting from my weakest topics.

Weekends: 12 past papers in total and 6 question packs in total (again weak topics) This means I should have covered around 120 pp for each subject hopefully

the most important thing is that I need to understand the topics for my topics as in the exam they can throw anything at you, so using the feymanns technique for this will be great.

Honestly, does this plan seem fine for 3A*s, instead of passive learning I'm really trying to make it active recall with sufficient past papers as I really want the grades. So knowing the context of my situation, what do you guys think?
Listen dude I’m like in year 12 and I’m getting A*AB I. Like math Chem and bio and I feel I can’t do it but good luck to u
username4460696
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bobo344)
Listen dude I’m like in year 12 and I’m getting A*AB I. Like math Chem and bio and I feel I can’t do it but good luck to u
thanks you too
username4460696
Rep:
?
please can anyone look over my plan and tell me if it looks fine; I'm really worried
username4460696
Rep:
?
bump
Von Salazar
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
nope, unfortunately you need 87 days. you were so close though. my condolences
please can anyone look over my plan and tell me if it looks fine; I'm really worried
atlantida
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is besides the point but where do you get 12 exam papers every weekend from? I mean, all of my subjects started a new spec from 2015 or 2016 so I’ve never seen that many past papers.
becca____
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
this seems very efficient- I'm sure you'll do great!
Jpw1097
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

My strategy is this:

Weekends: 12 past papers in total and 6 question packs in total (again weak topics) This means I should have covered around 120 pp for each subject hopefully

How are you going to do 120 past papers for each subject? I'm pretty sure you won't find 120 past papers for each subject.

It's impossible to say if this is enough. It depends on how you've done over the past few years, you can't learn all of this stuff in a few months. However, if you've been working throughout the past few years then you should be fine. I say this to a lot of people, but if you want straight A*s, you can't just memorise facts like you can at GCSE. You should really try to understand WHY things are the way they are, that way you can work answers out instead of simply regurgitating facts. Often this involves learning things that are probably more in depth than you need to know at A level, but it helps so much when it comes to the exams.

Like you've said, doing well in exams is more than just knowing your stuff, exam technique is really important, so going over past papers and mark schemes will give you an idea of what the examiners are looking for.

I can't say whether you'll get straight A*s even if you do what you have said here, it's certainly possible. All you can do is just try your best.
Trapmoneybenny
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Oh my Gahd.... you're so hardworking, never seen the likes of you before.

Umm, you already know the answer to the damn question, you've already said your techniques will work in improving your knowledge and memory retention, what's the point of seeking validation? Are we gonna share the A*s with you?

Crack on with your work and stop with the rhetorical questions..
Last edited by Trapmoneybenny; 1 year ago
Von Salazar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Trapmoneybenny)

Umm, you already know the answer to the damn question, you've already said your techniques will work in improving your knowledge and memory retention, what's the point of seeking validation? Are we gonna share the A*s with you?

Good answer.
username4460696
Rep:
?
(Original post by Von Salazar)
nope, unfortunately you need 87 days. you were so close though. my condolences
Oh no, 87 days Thank you though, unfortunately it's 86 days, that's just how life works so I won't be getting those grades. That is so heartbreaking whatever will I do
username4460696
Rep:
?

This is hypothetical, I looked through my post and didn't see anywhere in which I implied that it will work. I have not tried these techniques yet? I don't want the validation, I just want to know if I have a chance of getting these grades with this plan that I haven't started yet. Me doing the notes + flashcards up to this point has not worked, as illustrated by mock terrible mock results.
username4460696
Rep:
?
(Original post by atlantida)
This is besides the point but where do you get 12 exam papers every weekend from? I mean, all of my subjects started a new spec from 2015 or 2016 so I’ve never seen that many past papers.
People who say that old spec papers don't work are lying, is it still written by AQA yes. You can find papers on freeexampapers & physics and maths tutor
username4460696
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jpw1097)
How are you going to do 120 past papers for each subject? I'm pretty sure you won't find 120 past papers for each subject.

It's impossible to say if this is enough. It depends on how you've done over the past few years, you can't learn all of this stuff in a few months. However, if you've been working throughout the past few years then you should be fine. I say this to a lot of people, but if you want straight A*s, you can't just memorise facts like you can at GCSE. You should really try to understand WHY things are the way they are, that way you can work answers out instead of simply regurgitating facts. Often this involves learning things that are probably more in depth than you need to know at A level, but it helps so much when it comes to the exams.

Like you've said, doing well in exams is more than just knowing your stuff, exam technique is really important, so going over past papers and mark schemes will give you an idea of what the examiners are looking for.

I can't say whether you'll get straight A*s even if you do what you have said here, it's certainly possible. All you can do is just try your best.
There are 2080 papers for each subject I calculated. Also, I rechecked and meant 68 papers for each subject sorry. I agree with you sooo much on the bold part; this is what my revision will be focusing on
username4460696
Rep:
?
any opinions are welcome btw
Von Salazar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are 2080 papers for each subject I calculated. Also, I rechecked and meant 68 papers for each subject sorry. I agree with you sooo much on the bold part; this is what my revision will be focusing on
Basically if you understand all the maths content (by doing textbook questions/examsolutions) and complete/repeat all the papers until you get 95+ums consistently you should get an A* in the real thing. If you want to be more efficient just do practice questions on weak topics (you can identify weak topics by what you get in each paper)

For sciences follow the spec thoroughly and make detailed notes on every single bullet point. Always follow the spec closely. How you memorise it is down to you. But before you memorise it you need to understand the content first.

There's the answer to your question
Trapmoneybenny
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is hypothetical, I looked through my post and didn't see anywhere in which I implied that it will work. I have not tried these techniques yet? I don't want the validation, I just want to know if I have a chance of getting these grades with this plan that I haven't started yet. Me doing the notes + flashcards up to this point has not worked, as illustrated by mock terrible mock results.
You said, and i quote :
"Every day (weekdays) do 1 hour of active recall of flashcards, either the feymanns technique or blurting (this has proven to boost your grades)"

Yes you do, i was being very cynical, too many of these threads come off as pretentious and attention seeking most times.
Anyways, just reading and regurgitating won't work as evident by the mocks. Do questions.

Your past paper method won't work for the sciences, i assume you're doing AQA. Focus on doing 2014-2016 and the new spec, in timed conditions. When you're done go back to 2004-2008 papers. The style of questions in those years specifically are similar to the new spec. But bear in mind for chemistry the scheme has changed and DNA and chromatography aren't in the 2004-2008 scheme, and be brutal with yourself. Go over the topics you suck at, and do topic questions on them.

This is coming from someone who burnt himself out around this time till exams doing the strategy above and got AAB in Maths,Chem and Physics respectively and is now resitting. It's about efficiency from now on not just piling on work and drowning yourself. The crash and burn method had its ceiling as i found out
username4460696
Rep:
?
You said, and i quote :
"Every day (weekdays) do 1 hour of active recall of flashcards, either the feymanns technique or blurting (this has proven to boost your grades)"

Yes you do, i was being very cynical, too many of these threads come off as pretentious and attention seeking most times.
Anyways, just reading and regurgitating won't work as evident by the mocks. Do questions.

Your past paper method won't work for the sciences, i assume you're doing AQA. Focus on doing 2014-2016 and the new spec, in timed conditions. When you're done go back to 2004-2008 papers. The style of questions in those years specifically are similar to the new spec. But bear in mind for chemistry the scheme has changed and DNA and chromatography aren't in the 2004-2008 scheme, and be brutal with yourself. Go over the topics you suck at, and do topic questions on them.

This is coming from someone who burnt himself out around this time till exams doing the strategy above and got AAB in Maths,Chem and Physics respectively and is now resitting. It's about efficiency from now on not just piling on work and drowning yourself. The crash and burn method had its ceiling as i found out
Proven to boost your grades for other people based on a study, this is relative, may not work for me?
I'm far from pretentious & sorry if I came across this way
So are you saying that you used my method & got AAB for the past paper method?
It's mainly TSR that have worried me, I spoke to some people on here and they do MUCH more than my plan that I will hopefully start, I don't know how many papers A* students do etc.
I have gotten into the mentality that doing every paper & question for the A*. I haven't spoken to anyone other than TSR who have gotten A*s so wouldn't know if the TSR method is 'normal' Do you get what I mean
Trapmoneybenny
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Proven to boost your grades for other people based on a study, this is relative, may not work for me?
I'm far from pretentious & sorry if I came across this way
So are you saying that you used my method & got AAB for the past paper method?
It's mainly TSR that have worried me, I spoke to some people on here and they do MUCH more than my plan that I will hopefully start, I don't know how many papers A* students do etc.
I have gotten into the mentality that doing every paper & question for the A*. I haven't spoken to anyone other than TSR who have gotten A*s so wouldn't know if the TSR method is 'normal' Do you get what I mean
Nope i'm saying last year i tried the "do every damn question before the exam, so nothing fazes you" tactic. Bearing in mind i started doing it from this time round last year, it doesn't work for 2 reasons

1) You can't possibly finish that amount, go over the corrections, address the topics you got wrong and then improve on them in time for the exam. As a matter of fact, with the stressed of going to school, eating sleeping and genuinely having to take time off for your brain to recharge and refocus before starting another revision session. There simply aren't that many hours in the day

2) The quality of revising will be downgraded due to the volume of stuff you plan on doing.

TSR is not the place to get revision tips because people will lie, yes....lie and say whatever. Not only that, most of them here go to private schools and have private tutors.
Go on youtube and watch Ali Abdaal's , Senthooran Kath's, I'm in a place's videos on getting top grades and revision tips for them. My only regret was that i first came across them after the exams had ended (just my luck XD) Snap out of that mentality, my physics and chemistry teachers have told me the style of questions AQA now adopt, you need to get into the feel of those "application" based style questions, not memorize them AQa don't do that anymore.

That's for the sciences, as for maths, its really straightforward, in that you just need constant practice for that. There's no hack, its black and white. My shortcoming was the comprehension paper for C4 OCR MEI that i bombed and stopped me from grasping that A*.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (43)
46.74%
No, they should still go ahead (21)
22.83%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (28)
30.43%

Watched Threads