This discussion is closed.
danmartpat
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
For all who received EBH as their chosen foundation school in 2019.
jess1993
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I'm EBH too! if anyone has any info do share!!
Adalira
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey all! I'm a Barts student so can share some info on our placement hospitals (PAH/Harlow, Broomfield/Chelmsford, Colchester, Southend)

Harlow/PAH
- Transport: close to London, direct train from Harlow Town Station to Liv St/Stratford (30-40min). Hospital is fairly close to station, it's also commutable from Epping on the Central line but it's harder.
- Accomm: quite basic and the wifi was absolutely shocking when I was there, so bad that they told us to get dongles, but I'm told they've fixed that now!
- Town: Harlow itself is dire (my hometown) so ... I'd advise living elsewhere OR accepting that you will never ever want to go out in the town itself!
- Hospital: the F1s I met there liked it, the A&E is ranked worst in the country for waiting times but my friend who went to placement there said it was great (lots of patients, no beds = lots of time) but the patients WILL be aggy at you. Paeds I was told was LOVELY.

Broomfield/Chelmsford
- Transport: the hospital is a 20 min bus ride from the actual train line, which has a fast and a slow train from London. I heard tell of F1s living in Canary Wharf and getting there in 30 mins, but I'm not sure how.
- Accomm: quite a lot and from what my friends said, quite basic.
- Town: Chelmsford > Harlow, has an ice skating rink, has more to do.
- Hospital: has a nice new atrium with food and coffee, but the wards themselves are older and more basic. Never was on placement there but can ask friends about particular specialties!

Colchester
- Transport: furthest away from London, 1 hr + on train, took me 1 hr 15 from Stratford. The hosp is about 30 min walk from the station?
- Accomm: basic - mine had a tiny kitchen, rooms were a decent size but shared bathrooms.
- Town: Colchester has history but no nightlife. Nice area but can be boring, has a large squaddie population which can make A&E .. interesting.
- Hospital: I had paeds there which was lovely, the F1s seemed really supported and liked working there (if not living there). My friend there said F1/F2 ITU was great (was like being a med student again)

Southend
- Transport: hour from London on the train, hour driving from Stratford. Hospital is a walk from the train station (I think Westcliffe was closest). Traffic can be annoying though if you're commuting in
- Accom: basic, 20 mins walk away from the hospital itself. Ensuites and large-ish kitchen, but we had 8 to a flat so not much space each. Not modern.
- Town: Southend is a seaside town and is nice in the summer. Has more to do and a bit more of a town and nicer/worse areas.
- Hospital: Every F1 i met there seemed to enjoy it, my colorectal F1s seemed PARTICULARLY chilled out! Anaesthetics and ITU all had really friendly consultants and regs.

That's all I can think of for now... if anyone has any qs on anything else I can ask my friends if I don't know.

Also if anyone could give a similar lowdown on the other hospitals... that would be great!
Last edited by Adalira; 1 year ago
jess1993
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks so much! I'm particularly interested in princess alexandra, if you know anyone that's done urology would be interested to know what it's like! or GP at the nuffield house doctors surgery or just any rotation to avoid haha
(Original post by Adalira)
Hey all! I'm a Barts student so can share some info on our placement hospitals (PAH/Harlow, Broomfield/Chelmsford, Colchester, Southend)

Harlow/PAH
- Transport: close to London, direct train from Harlow Town Station to Liv St/Stratford (30-40min). Hospital is fairly close to station, it's also commutable from Epping on the Central line but it's harder.
- Accomm: quite basic and the wifi was absolutely shocking when I was there, so bad that they told us to get dongles, but I'm told they've fixed that now!
- Town: Harlow itself is dire (my hometown) so ... I'd advise living elsewhere OR accepting that you will never ever want to go out in the town itself!
- Hospital: the F1s I met there liked it, the A&E is ranked worst in the country for waiting times but my friend who went to placement there said it was great (lots of patients, no beds = lots of time) but the patients WILL be aggy at you. Paeds I was told was LOVELY.

Broomfield/Chelmsford
- Transport: the hospital is a 20 min bus ride from the actual train line, which has a fast and a slow train from London. I heard tell of F1s living in Canary Wharf and getting there in 30 mins, but I'm not sure how.
- Hospital: has a nice new atrium with food and coffee, but the wards themselves are older and more basic. Never was on placement there but can ask friends about particular specialties!

Colchester
- Transport: furthest away from London, 1 hr + on train, took me 1 hr 15 from Stratford. The hosp is about 30 min walk from the station?
- Accomm: basic - mine had a tiny kitchen, rooms were a decent size but shared bathrooms.
- Town: Colchester has history but no nightlife. Nice area but can be boring, has a large squaddie population which can make A&E .. interesting.
- Hospital: I had paeds there which was lovely, the F1s seemed really supported and liked working there (if not living there). My friend there said F1/F2 ITU was great (was like being a med student again)

Southend
- Transport: hour from London on the train, hour driving from Stratford. Hospital is a walk from the train station (I think Westcliffe was closest). Traffic can be annoying though if you're commuting in
- Accom: basic, 20 mins walk away from the hospital itself. Ensuites and large-ish kitchen, but we had 8 to a flat so not much space each. Not modern.
- Town: Southend is a seaside town and is nice in the summer. Has more to do and a bit more of a town and nicer/worse areas.
- Hospital: Every F1 i met there seemed to enjoy it, my colorectal F1s seemed PARTICULARLY chilled out! Anaesthetics and ITU all had really friendly consultants and regs.

That's all I can think of for now... if anyone has any qs on anything else I can ask my friends if I don't know.

Also if anyone could give a similar lowdown on the other hospitals... that would be great!
danmartpat
Rep:
?
Thank you for that! Really helpful.

Adding to what you said about Colchester (I did paeds there - which was great) - the hospital itself is decent enough yeah. But Colchester itself is a bit boring haha.

Chelmsford is looking hopefully likely for me (good and easy transport into London) - but don't really know much about what the actual city is like.

Harlow/PAH

Broomfield/Chelmsford

Colchester

Southend

Adalira
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've asked around about Urology. Unfortunately Nuffield house isn't one we got sent to, but every GP surgery in Harlow is heavily oversubscribed (Nuffield House has 13,000+ patients with 6 GPs) with long waiting lists.
Messly had a review from someone who literally said "Don't do it" with regards to acute med...
(Original post by jess1993)
Thanks so much! I'm particularly interested in princess alexandra, if you know anyone that's done urology would be interested to know what it's like! or GP at the nuffield house doctors surgery or just any rotation to avoid haha
Adalira
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd say its more similar to Colchester than Harlow, in that there's more to do and definitely more in the way of nightlife than either of them, but I've never spent much time there. If you're thinking of living there I have family and friends I can ask about areas etc? Also know an F1 working there
(Original post by danmartpat)
Thank you for that! Really helpful.

Adding to what you said about Colchester (I did paeds there - which was great) - the hospital itself is decent enough yeah. But Colchester itself is a bit boring haha.

Chelmsford is looking hopefully likely for me (good and easy transport into London) - but don't really know much about what the actual city is like.
danmartpat
Rep:
?
That would be absolutely brilliant! Thanks so much for your help! I'm sure there are good points and bad points to every area haha, just so hard to choose what to go for!
I'd say its more similar to Colchester than Harlow, in that there's more to do and definitely more in the way of nightlife than either of them, but I've never spent much time there. If you're thinking of living there I have family and friends I can ask about areas etc? Also know an F1 working there
Adalira
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry Jess, the students who did our renal/uro module there didn't do any actual urology! I did hear a little birdie saying that F1/F2s don't do nights though... but not 100% if that's true

jess1993
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
no problem! yes someone just told me it's quite a nice job urology did you get parking at pah as a med student?
Sorry Jess, the students who did our renal/uro module there didn't do any actual urology! I did hear a little birdie saying that F1/F2s don't do nights though... but not 100% if that's true
s2019
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
does anyone have any idea of the rough scores needed to get into the different hospitals (eg based on last year's), or any idea of the cutoff/average scores for EBH this year? thanks!
Adalira
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've heard the same.. low patient load and less emergencies. I did get parking yes, did get a ticket once because they were very strict on having the permit shown in the window..
no problem! yes someone just told me it's quite a nice job urology did you get parking at pah as a med student?
TATTmedstudent
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! I've got EBH too, and would love to know any advice.

I'm thinking Lister - does anyone know much about that? Or Watford General?

And does anyone know the really popular hospitals? My SJT wasn't super strong so I'm not expecting to be getting my top choices.
Adalira
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just asked a current F2 about Lister - she said pros was 20 minutes train into London, and gave me a few tips about jobs
Acute med - tough and busy
ED - supposedly well supported
GP - said everyone was super nice around there
Gen surgery - she enjoyed it, better and busier as f2 because you run the post take and see all surgical admissions

She also told me that swapping rotations is extremely hard and noone she knows has succeeded, so I guess EBH were being honest when they said absolutely no swaps
(Original post by TATTmedstudent)
Hey! I've got EBH too, and would love to know any advice.

I'm thinking Lister - does anyone know much about that? Or Watford General?

And does anyone know the really popular hospitals? My SJT wasn't super strong so I'm not expecting to be getting my top choices.
TATTmedstudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
flavoursome just flagging this up as a feed too!
TATTmedstudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
amazing thank you Adalira so helpful!
Do you know anything about Luton?
Or Watford?

Ive heard watford is busy and can be unsupported? Is that true?
Adalira
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't know anyone at either of them so can't say.. I'd like to know myself!
Or Watford?

Anonym321
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there, im originally from the EBH area so can give you a bit of a general overview of what ive heard and seen. Not comprehensive by any means! Apparently the hospitals on the essex side tend to be great and ive heard the juniors tend to be very happy with thier placement. So that would include Broomfield, Cholchester, Basildon and Southend. Southend hospital is next to the seaside which is a always a plus in my books regardless of this crazy british weather (which hasn't been too bad this year tbh). Quite a nice beach too compared to some of the other ones. Luton isnt a nice place to be living in for 2 yrs and if you get that hospital id probably want to live out and commute in. Crime rates are quite high, no night life and everyone tends to go out of town for those kinds of things. Only thing to do is pretty much a cinema lol. Watford is quite a nice and affluent area but it is very expensive as its very close to london. So accommodation wont come cheap but it wouldn't be a bad place to stay. Id probably avoid if you want to save up during f1/f2 years.
Or Watford?

TATTmedstudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much!! 😃
My situation is that my husband is going to a college/uni in Cockfosters/Southgate (north london) so we’re going to hopefully be living there and I’ll commute from there - hence trying to find the best hospitals close by!

Do you know what lister is like at all?
(Original post by Anonym321)
Hi there, im originally from the EBH area so can give you a bit of a general overview of what ive heard and seen. Not comprehensive by any means! Apparently the hospitals on the essex side tend to be great and ive heard the juniors tend to be very happy with thier placement. So that would include Broomfield, Cholchester, Basildon and Southend. Southend hospital is next to the seaside which is a always a plus in my books regardless of this crazy british weather (which hasn't been too bad this year tbh). Quite a nice beach too compared to some of the other ones. Luton isnt a nice place to be living in for 2 yrs and if you get that hospital id probably want to live out and commute in. Crime rates are quite high, no night life and everyone tends to go out of town for those kinds of things. Only thing to do is pretty much a cinema lol. Watford is quite a nice and affluent area but it is very expensive as its very close to london. So accommodation wont come cheap but it wouldn't be a bad place to stay. Id probably avoid if you want to save up during f1/f2 years.
jess1993
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lister is a good hosp, heard good things about junior docs enjoying it, also heard good things about Watford hosp although supposed to be quite busy and steep learning curve! I'd say Watford is closer to where you want to be than lister, but both good options
Thank you so much!! 😃
My situation is that my husband is going to a college/uni in Cockfosters/Southgate (north london) so we’re going to hopefully be living there and I’ll commute from there - hence trying to find the best hospitals close by!

Do you know what lister is like at all?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads