The Student Room Group

Changing uni in second year without starting from the beginning

Hi there! I hope someone was in my exact situation and I will get an answer for this.
I’m about to finish my first year in arts in a small town where there’s not much going on. ( Hatfield)
There’s barely any student jobs, absolutely nothing to do, the place just makes me depressed and drags me down;
I would like to transfer but continue second year in a different uni (in London)
Is that a possibility? And what’s the process
Have a read of the Transfer FAQ thread at the top of the applications, clearing and ucas forum. The first post explains what you need to do and think about.
I'm sorry to hear you haven't enjoyed your first year at uni! I'm looking at Herts because the course I'm looking at is definitely the best,,, but I went for an open day and walked through the 'town centre' by Asda and everything was,,,, kinda terrible? Charity shops, nail bars and run-down shops everywhere. Litter blew around in the wind and men were drinking vodka at 12 in the afternoon in the middle of the highstreet with kids and families walking past. I felt very unsafe and the place is full of housing estates.

My other options are Bournemouth and Portsmouth and I'm wondering if i should just go for one of those...

I sincerely hope you get to transfer and really love your next university and course!
Original post by ClockworkPaws
I'm sorry to hear you haven't enjoyed your first year at uni! I'm looking at Herts because the course I'm looking at is definitely the best,,, but I went for an open day and walked through the 'town centre' by Asda and everything was,,,, kinda terrible? Charity shops, nail bars and run-down shops everywhere. Litter blew around in the wind and men were drinking vodka at 12 in the afternoon in the middle of the highstreet with kids and families walking past. I felt very unsafe and the place is full of housing estates.

My other options are Bournemouth and Portsmouth and I'm wondering if i should just go for one of those...

I sincerely hope you get to transfer and really love your next university and course!

That sounds awful... I would definitely swap to Bournemouth if I was you, the town centre is actually pretty nice there. Remember that you have to spend 3 years in these places and it sounds like you would be unhappy at Herts
Original post by harrysbar
That sounds awful... I would definitely swap to Bournemouth if I was you, the town centre is actually pretty nice there. Remember that you have to spend 3 years in these places and it sounds like you would be unhappy at Herts

Honestly I LOVE Bournemouth, I visited 3 times all times for interviews and fell in love with the beach, the tropical gardens, the high street etc.

The course offered there only lets me study half of what I want and I hate the structure of it, but then the Herts course is SUPER intensive to the point you can't really get a part-time job either (and I'd need one to get by else have to move back home!).

I just have to decide between course, reputation and location I think.

A lot of student reps for Herts say 'Oh you can get the bus to St Albans or Watford or there are student trips to London',,, I'm looking for more than just places to get drunk and London is too expensive. Bournemouth seems to offer much more interesting things to do than just get smashed!
Original post by ClockworkPaws
Honestly I LOVE Bournemouth, I visited 3 times all times for interviews and fell in love with the beach, the tropical gardens, the high street etc.

The course offered there only lets me study half of what I want and I hate the structure of it, but then the Herts course is SUPER intensive to the point you can't really get a part-time job either (and I'd need one to get by else have to move back home!).

I just have to decide between course, reputation and location I think.

A lot of student reps for Herts say 'Oh you can get the bus to St Albans or Watford or there are student trips to London',,, I'm looking for more than just places to get drunk and London is too expensive. Bournemouth seems to offer much more interesting things to do than just get smashed!

Hi, sorry to hear you're having issues. It's really important you find the right mix and I really hope you acheive that.

I'm not sure what precise course you are switching but have you been in touch with the programme lead to discuss ways you could further your knowledge in the areas you are interested in? Could this be done via a placement?

Please update us with how you get on and good luck!

Vicki

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending