The Student Room Group

Graduate Jobs that require 'Experience'!

I'm nowhere near finishing my MA, but a small part of me keeps looking for jobs just to see what the job market is looking like for my future career (PR/Communications).

It's really annoying to see entry level/grad/assistant jobs that require experience. It's not just 6 months; they expect us to have 1-3 years experience? Is this an actual joke?

I've seen these jobs only offer £18K a year and you need to have a long amount of experience for entry level jobs.

To me, this just seems impossible and unfair. How is someone who is fresh out of university supposed to have such experience?

How am I supposed to literally start from the very bottom that still needs years of experience to start from the bottom? It's a ridiculous catch-22 and it's stressing me out.

There's no question here - just burning some frustration on TSR. Feel free to chip away!

Scroll to see replies

It's not a catch 22 because it's entirely possible to get good experience before graduating, you just chose not to and are only now realising your error.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I'm nowhere near finishing my MA, but a small part of me keeps looking for jobs just to see what the job market is looking like for my future career (PR/Communications).

It's really annoying to see entry level/grad/assistant jobs that require experience. It's not just 6 months; they expect us to have 1-3 years experience? Is this an actual joke?

I've seen these jobs only offer £18K a year and you need to have a long amount of experience for entry level jobs.

To me, this just seems impossible and unfair. How is someone who is fresh out of university supposed to have such experience?

How am I supposed to literally start from the very bottom that still needs years of experience to start from the bottom? It's a ridiculous catch-22 and it's stressing me out.

There's no question here - just burning some frustration on TSR. Feel free to chip away!

If an employer wants 1-3 years experience it's not a role for a new graduate. That said increasingly employers are expecting graduates to have at least one or two placements worth of experience and with long university summers that is perfectly possible to get that.
Either incompetent recruiters or it's not really an entry level position. In the first case, you give them the benefit of the doubt and apply anyway.

Requiring some kind of experience for a grad job however is normal.. You had 3-4+ years of your life to build out a good profile for whatever career you're interested in - if you didn't even look to get part time work, tinker with side gigs, look for internships, volunteer, get stuck in with societies.. then that's sort of your own fault.
Original post by jelly1000
If an employer wants 1-3 years experience it's not a role for a new graduate. That said increasingly employers are expecting graduates to have at least one or two placements worth of experience and with long university summers that is perfectly possible to get that.

I will consider this when applying for jobs after the summer.
Original post by Princepieman
Either incompetent recruiters or it's not really an entry level position. In the first case, you give them the benefit of the doubt and apply anyway.

Requiring some kind of experience for a grad job however is normal.. You had 3-4+ years of your life to build out a good profile for whatever career you're interested in - if you didn't even look to get part time work, tinker with side gigs, look for internships, volunteer, get stuck in with societies.. then that's sort of your own fault.

I've got some experience in university stuff like running my own campaign to be Dept. rep, building and maintaining student-staff relationships etc which is kind of similar to PR I suppose. Having said that, I didn't actually want to go into PR until after my degree (originally wanted to pursue teaching) but things happened. Plus it's very hard and competitive in the PR industry to get internships or work placements that isn't in London which is neither doable due to having my MA diss over the summer and working part time too. However, I will be sending my CVs to companies that could offer me a few weeks of placements around the Midlands area.
Reply 5
Original post by Student-95
It's not a catch 22 because it's entirely possible to get good experience before graduating, you just chose not to and are only now realising your error.

Possible to get 1-3 years experience?
A sandwich year barely gives that.

I haven't even finished my master's so why don't you go kick a rock hun.
Original post by Princepieman

:ditto:

I absolutely hated it at college and university when people said 'I don't need to get a job' - then learn and realise their mistake after graduation when things get tough in the job market...:facepalm:
Original post by Quady
Possible to get 1-3 years experience?
A sandwich year barely gives that.

A sandwhich year gives you 1 year which meets that requirement on its own.
I haven't even finished my master's so why don't you go kick a rock hun.

Stop whining and get some experience then
Original post by BritishGirl
:ditto:

I absolutely hated it at college and university when people said 'I don't need to get a job' - then learn and realise their mistake after graduation when things get tough in the job market...:facepalm:

A part-time job during studies hardly equates to 'work experience' that grad/entry level jobs requires.
Stop whining and get some experience then

If it was that easy, I wouldn't be on here 'whining'. Don't you have anything better to do with your time?
A part-time job during studies hardly equates to 'work experience' that grad/entry level jobs requires.

Possibly not in the field they want to get into, but it's albeit a starting point.
If it was that easy, I wouldn't be on here 'whining'. Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

You do - get some experience
You do - get some experience

Bless.
Original post by BritishGirl
Possibly not in the field they want to get into, but it's albeit a starting point.

Yeah it really depends on what career you'd like to go into! And to be honest, it also depends on your location too. There's many variables as to why getting work experience/placement is extremely difficult nowadays. Unfortunately, I got turned down by over 17 PR firms because they just couldn't offer me anything as they didn't have the time or resources. It's tough out there and it's pretty disappointing universities don't offer more to students who wish to entire the creative/media industries. It's all about science and technology which is a real shame!
Reply 16
A sandwhich year gives you 1 year which meets that requirement on its own.

So every degree should be a sandwich course?
Original post by Quady

They're more valuable than non-sandwhich courses but you'd have to reduce the intake to achieve that which isn't going to happen.
Original post by Quady

It's not a silly idea. At least all degrees should at least have some form of work place module at the very least.
Reply 19
It's not a silly idea. At least all degrees should at least have some form of work place module at the very least.

Is that a yes or no?

I mean I did a sandwich year (technically I did two but the less said about that the better) as part of my chemistry degree. However my fiancee didn't as part of her history degree. She got to £60k salary earlier in her life than I did. Not entirely clear what work place module you envisage for a history degree? Or how that'd help degree's such as hers where employability and starting salary is high?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending