Barror1's Road to Cambridge Watch

barror1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey!
I really don't know how to start these so I may as well start with some backstory. I did badly at GCSEs. Horrifically in regards to Oxbridge grades- 7Bs, 2Cs and 1D. Entering Sixth Form, I got struck down with a bunch of illnesses and had to carry on. Regardless, I finished my English Langauge A-level in my second year of sixth with my first A grade ever!

So I hit the books and applied for Cambridge for 2019 entry English Literature. I have no idea how I managed it but I got called for an interview at Trinity College!

...Then got promptly rejected in January.

But then I was given another chance. Cambridge has opened for adjustment for the first time and I am eligible for the scheme due to some school and postcode stuff.

I am going to do literally everything in my power to get there and defy the expectations of everyone around me.

Welcome to my GYG!
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm in dude. Good luck!!! :crossedf:
TurboZX453
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Me too! Good luck!
barror1
Rep:
?
9/3/19
Woke up at like 12 (this week has been such a rollercoaster that I have earned it 😂) and revised a classic study for psychology over breakfast.
I was struggling to revise so took a couple of hours out to hit the gym, and came back to work on Othello critics and some sociology key terms.
Tomorrow I have work for 4 hours, but I am hoping to complete a sociology presentation and write a literature essay (not sure on what yet though)!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
barror1
Rep:
?
13/3/19
This has been such a week already
Gone to the docs and have been put on even more medication for stuff and have been told that my blood pressure is slightly low. This has hit my concentration and energy HARD.
So I've made a new study plan to make sure I meet everything before exams. It's the same system I used last year for my English Language last year so I know that it works!
This plan does not involve a strict timetable- Rather weekly goals that you stick to RELIGIOUSLY. This helps me work harder on my good days to make up for my bad days, rather than just straight up losing study time when I'm bad. :closedeyes:
This week's goals are:
Sociology (crime) - Pages 1-16 in my pack (gonna average between 10-15 pages a week)
Sociology (the rest of it) - Revise 75% of Education
English Literature - Get a full understanding of Othello including critics and context - UCAS kinda made my A2 texts fly by so I just need to make sure everything is good before I start doing mock exams!
I will update this weekly at the very least but will definitely try more often than that! :cyber:
Have a good one <3

Edit: 10 more rep until 600! So proud of myself no idea why :laugh:
Edit edit: Thank you Doones to getting me to 600 rep!
Last edited by barror1; 1 week ago
barror1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
14/3/19
I've heard back from all my unis!
Got an email from UCL saying that I was no longer being considered for their Literature degree, but I had a chance to be considered for a Comparative Literature (totally a different course I swear)!
Unfortunately, I just did not like the university when I went there (plus the air pollution is hell on my lungs :pinch:). I withdrew from my UCL application and have firmed York, insurancing Southampton!
Although of course York is not my final goal, I'm just glad that UCAS is done for now!
cinnamoroll
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Congrats on York!! Hope we both get a positive outcome from the adjustment scheme, but either way, no matter what the outcome is, York is a great uni from what I've heard. Good luck!!!
barror1
Rep:
?
(Original post by cinnamoroll)
Congrats on York!! Hope we both get a positive outcome from the adjustment scheme, but either way, no matter what the outcome is, York is a great uni from what I've heard. Good luck!!!
Thanks! Yeah, I really like the course at York (since linguistics is amazing!). Plus if I go, I will apply to do my second year abroad in Canada- just depends where the future takes me really
cinnamoroll
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by barror1)
Thanks! Yeah, I really like the course at York (since linguistics is amazing!). Plus if I go, I will apply to do my second year abroad in Canada- just depends where the future takes me really
A year in Canada sounds amazing!! and a place at Cambridge also sounds amazing!! whatever happens, I'm rooting for you
barror1
Rep:
?
(Original post by cinnamoroll)
A year in Canada sounds amazing!! and a place at Cambridge also sounds amazing!! whatever happens, I'm rooting for you
Awwwww ❤ and the same to you!
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Edit: 10 more rep until 600! So proud of myself no idea why :laugh:
Edit edit: Thank you Doones to getting me to 600 rep!
My absolute pleasure :hat2:
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
With grades like that, you inspire me
barror1
Rep:
?
(Original post by The RAR)
With grades like that, you inspire me
Aww you're too kind, thank you! I hope you gain something from this GYG
barror1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Managed to meet my weekly goal, only got 3 pages of crime left to do. Time to hit the pub after a long day of revision :alcohol:
barror1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
18/3/19
Got some literature work back today. It wasn't bad, but definitely not A*. I spent this afternoon printing out exemplars and just spent some time highlighting wherever I see evaluation (which I can never seem to get right).
I am going to take this knowledge and write up an Othello essay now, and hopefully finish the last few pages of crime revision from last week.
My self-confidence has really been knocked these past few days, but on the upside, that means that I have nothing to lose!
hp4300
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
18/3/19
Got some literature work back today. It wasn't bad, but definitely not A*. I spent this afternoon printing out exemplars and just spent some time highlighting wherever I see evaluation (which I can never seem to get right).
I am going to take this knowledge and write up an Othello essay now, and hopefully finish the last few pages of crime revision from last week.
My self-confidence has really been knocked these past few days, but on the upside, that means that I have nothing to lose!
Don't get too disheartened, sometimes you just have a bad day. Hopefully, you improve on your next essay
bmgrace
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Which exam board do you do for English and which books?
18/3/19
barror1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by bmgrace)
Which exam board do you do for English and which books?
Edexcel. We do contemporary poetry, Wife of Bath, Othello, A Streetcar Named Desire, A thousand splendid suns and Wuthering Heights
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (82)
16.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (53)
10.45%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (92)
18.15%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (75)
14.79%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (53)
10.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (152)
29.98%

Watched Threads