ra1500
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Do X and Y mame ONE pair lf CHROMOSOMES?
I thought X was a homologous CHROMOSOME?
Where do sister chromatids fit in then?
Whats a chromatid?
Jpw1097
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ra1500)
Do X and Y mame ONE pair lf CHROMOSOMES?
I thought X was a homologous CHROMOSOME?
Where do sister chromatids fit in then?
Whats a chromatid?
In any human cell, there is (or should be) 23 pairs of chromosomes - 22 pairs of autosomes (i.e. non-sex chromosomes) and 1 pair of sex chromosomes - in males that's an X and a Y, in females that's two Xs. While the autosomes are homologous to each other (as well as the two X chromosomes in females), I wouldn't say that the X and Y chromosomes are homologous as the Y chromosome is missing many of the genes that are found on the X chromosome. This explains why many X-linked conditions tend to only affect males.

During prophase (the first stage in mitosis or meiosis), the DNA replicates and the DNA then condenses into a tight structure known as a chromosome. Since the DNA that makes up the chromosome has already undergone DNA replication, there are two chromatids. The two chromatids that make up the chromosome are identical to each other, and are joined at the centromere. So at this stage, there are 46 chromosomes (remember, 23 pairs) and 92 chromatids (since at this stage, each chromosome is made up of two identical sister chromatids). Then, during telophase the chromosomes are aligned at the equator of the cell by the spindle apparatus. During anaphase, the spindle apparatus pulls the sister chromatids to opposite poles of the cell, causing the chromosome to break apart at the centromere. Then the cell splits in two and the two daughter cells are genetically identical.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (75)
37.69%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (21)
10.55%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.53%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (49)
24.62%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.56%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed