I have two different plans

Bachelors: Surrey
Masters: Surrey
PhD: Surrey

OR

Masters: Oxbridge/Imperial/UCL

I know the obvious choice is the one with Oxbridge/London but I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome so I'm worried I won't be able to keep up with the workload. And, even if I just about managed, I will be giving up every other aspect of my life, social life etc, for one full year.

But this with be totally worth it if it boosted my employability by a large amount by showing I'm "Oxbridge material". Perhaps could increase my chances of getting a really great job?

Plus I dreamed for a long time of going to Oxford/Cambridge before I developed chronic fatigue syndrome and this might be my only chance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Pixie Hollow)
I have two different plans

Masters: Surrey

OR

Masters: Oxbridge/Imperial/UCL

I know the obvious choice is the one with Oxbridge/London but I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome so I'm worried I won't be able to keep up with the workload. And, even if I just about managed, I will be giving up every other aspect of my life, social life etc, for one full year.

But this with be totally worth it if it boosted my employability by a large amount by showing I'm "Oxbridge material". Perhaps could increase my chances of getting a really great job?

Plus I dreamed for a long time of going to Oxford/Cambridge before I developed chronic fatigue syndrome and this might be my only chance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
What sort of employment are you aiming for? And which subject? Few careers, except academic, require a PhD. I suggest focussing on you BSc for a couple of years first, and then looking at the MSc path when you have a solid 1st or high 2:1 under your belt (which is what you'll need for Oxbridge).
Last edited by Doones; 1 week ago
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You would be better off doing your PhD at Oxbridge for this sort of situation rather than a master's if it's a case of it must be just one. You have much more flexibility in a PhD and can really define your own working hours and to an extent your own deadlines (though this is fairly supervisor dependent, but the former is certainly a quality of a good supervisor).

However to be honest your idea is flawed. Never plan to do a PhD from the start, it is not something that everyone or even many people should do and you really won't know if you like it or will be good at it until well into your bachelor's degree. I'd also question whether these universities are right for you for a master's too, they may be completely wrong given the interests you develop during your bachelor's or they may be a wrong choice even generally for your subject let alone your situation. Surrey is also a very good uni so the value of going to Oxbridge or the top London unis is even less.
Pixie Hollow
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello, thank you for your response.

I'm going to be studying a Maths and Physics course for my BSc and I plan to go into theoretical physics for post grad.

In the future, I either hope to follow an academic route like being a lecturer, or go into industry using maths/theoretical physics (if that's possible). It's really wide open; I just want as many qualifications/attributes on my CV as possible so that I can delay the decision process which will define the rest of my life.

Like everyone at this stage in my life, I don't know what the future holds but planning gives me a strong incentive to work hard at my current time in life, so even if I change my mind later on (which has happened a few times in my life) at least I've strived towards "something".

(Original post by Doones)
What sort of employment are you aiming for? And which subject? Few careers, except academic, require a PhD. I suggest focussing on you BSc for a couple of years first, and then looking at the MSc path when you have a solid 1st or high 2:1 under your belt (which is what you'll need for Oxbridge).
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I'm going to be studying a Maths and Physics course for my BSc and I plan to go into theoretical physics for post grad.

In the future, I either hope to follow an academic route like being a lecturer, or go into industry using maths/theoretical physics (if that's possible). It's really wide open; I just want as many qualifications/attributes on my CV as possible so that I can delay the decision process which will define the rest of my life.

Like everyone at this stage in my life, I don't know what the future holds but planning gives me a strong incentive to work hard at my current time in life, so even if I change my mind later on (which has happened a few times in my life) at least I've strived towards "something".
As I said in one of your other threads, focus on your BSc (or MPhys) for now.

And did you understand my post here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0&postcount=10

You didn't reply to it.
Pixie Hollow
Rep:
?

Though I only think that my idea would be flawed if it was set in stone. But since I using planning as a way to motivate myself, it's the best option for me, personally. My aims in life have changed a lots over the years, but no matter how far fetched or slim my plans have been, every single one has pushed me towards accomplishing an achievement, so this method works well for me.

For personal reasons, I am unable to live outside of Guildford for more than 6-9 months. I've always hoped of attending Oxbridge so applying for a Masters there is my only chance of going there.

However, for these personal reasons, the location has it's disadvantages. But it would be worth it if it really boosted my CV and gave me a great learning experience. That's why my plan seems unusual.

(Original post by Helloworld_95)
You would be better off doing your PhD at Oxbridge for this sort of situation rather than a master's if it's a case of it must be just one. You have much more flexibility in a PhD and can really define your own working hours and to an extent your own deadlines (though this is fairly supervisor dependent, but the former is certainly a quality of a good supervisor).

However to be honest your idea is flawed. Never plan to do a PhD from the start, it is not something that everyone or even many people should do and you really won't know if you like it or will be good at it until well into your bachelor's degree. I'd also question whether these universities are right for you for a master's too, they may be completely wrong given the interests you develop during your bachelor's or they may be a wrong choice even generally for your subject let alone your situation. Surrey is also a very good uni so the value of going to Oxbridge or the top London unis is even less.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For personal reasons, I am unable to live outside of Guildford for more than 6-9 months. I've always hoped of attending Oxbridge so applying for a Masters there is my only chance of going there.
A masters is a full 12 months.
Pixie Hollow
Rep:
?
I thought it would be from October to May/June?
A masters is a full 12 months.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is a full 12 months (technically) but my daughter did a Masters in Marketing and after her exams (taken at the same time as the undergraduate exams) she came home to complete her dissertation, which had to be submitted in September. So she was only in Uni accomodation for 9 months from September to June
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would bear in mind that this is much less possible for STEM subjects which will often require on site access for your dissertation, either for labs or software available only on university computers.
(Original post by harrysbar)
It is a full 12 months (technically) but my daughter did a Masters in Marketing and after her exams (taken at the same time as the undergraduate exams) she came home to complete her dissertation, which had to be submitted in September. So she was only in Uni accomodation for 9 months from September to June
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Actually it can vary by university and course.

Oxford's MSc Maths & Theoretical Physics is 9 months
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/grad...physics?wssl=1

Whereas Cambridge's MPhil Physics (a research-led course rather than taught) is 12 months
https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk...tory/pcphmpphy

But Cambridge also has MASt Physics, a 9 month taught course:
https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk...tory/pcphasphy

Note, none of these are relevant if you complete the MPhys at Surrey, they are only an option (realistically) if you graduate with a BSc instead.
Pixie Hollow
Rep:
?
Thank you for your response

That sounds very good, I'd like very much to do my dissertation (the last few months) in Guildford, Surrey - I'm a bit of a home-bug, I love being at home
(Original post by harrysbar)
Pixie Hollow
Rep:
?
Thanks again for your research, those first two were the exact courses I previously looked into, but the third course (MASt Physics at Cambridge) I never knew existed! So I'll be looking into that at a later stage.

Apart from cost and how the way in which they are taught, is any further differences in a research-based Masters vs a taught one? For example,
does one prepare you better for industry while the other for academia? Does one look better on your CV than the other? Or are they both seen quite equally?
Actually it can vary by university and course.

Oxford's MSc Maths & Theoretical Physics is 9 months
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/grad...physics?wssl=1

Whereas Cambridge's MPhil Physics (a research-led course rather than taught) is 12 months
https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk...tory/pcphmpphy

But Cambridge also has MASt Physics, a 9 month taught course:
https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk...tory/pcphasphy

Note, none of these are relevant if you complete the MPhys at Surrey, they are only an option (realistically) if you graduate with a BSc instead.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks again for your research, those first two were the exact courses I previously looked into, but the third course (MASt Physics at Cambridge) I never knew existed! So I'll be looking into that at a later stage.

Apart from cost and how the way in which they are taught, is any further differences in a research-based Masters vs a taught one? For example,
does one prepare you better for industry while the other for academia? Does one look better on your CV than the other? Or are they both seen quite equally?
Again, this doesn't apply anyway if you do the MPhys (a taught undergrad integrated masters).

But I suggest you ask in the postgrad forum:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=100

Also: https://www.findamasters.com/advice/...ht-or-research
Pixie Hollow
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Ok, thank you!
Again, this doesn't apply anyway if you do the MPhys (a taught undergrad integrated masters).

But I suggest you ask in the postgrad forum:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=100

Also: https://www.findamasters.com/advice/...ht-or-research
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads