- AQA GCSE English Language
- EDEXCEL GCSE Mathematics
- AQA GCSE Biology
- AQA GCSE Chemistry
- AQA GCSE Physics
- AQA GCSE French
- CIE IGCSE Computer Science
- CIE IGCSE Geography

Should I take any more GCSEs? The average in my school (starting from this year) is 9, some people get 10 (further math) and some even 11 (fluent in language). The thing is, if I do any privately, they only offer IGCSEs, would it still be worth it? And If I were to do more IGCSEs, what should I do them in?
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Shazington)
Currently, I am taking 9:
- AQA GCSE English Literature
- AQA GCSE English Language
- EDEXCEL GCSE Mathematics
- AQA GCSE Biology
- AQA GCSE Chemistry
- AQA GCSE Physics
- AQA GCSE French
- CIE IGCSE Computer Science
- CIE IGCSE Geography

Should I take any more GCSEs? The average in my school (starting from this year) is 9, some people get 10 (further math) and some even 11 (fluent in language). The thing is, if I do any privately, they only offer IGCSEs, would it still be worth it? And If I were to do more IGCSEs, what should I do them in?
Quite simply: No

You don't need to do any more GCSEs, the number and variety of your GCSEs will be quite sufficient to get you into a top Uni, which is presumably your goal?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
My friend got in to Oxford with 9 GCSEs, you don't need to unnecessarily burden yourself
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
mez_merising
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
you’re lucky you do less, don’t put extra pressure on yourself. just get the best possible grades you can with those 9 and you’ll be fine
Shazington
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Thank you for the responses.

Another one of my concerns is whether or not IGCSEs will put me at a disadvantage compared to people with GCSEs. For example, would an A* in IGCSE Computer Science be preferred or a 9 in GCSE Computer Science.

Furthermore, I should have mentioned- would 9 GCSEs be sufficient for Medicine at top universities like Oxford or Cambridge. Likely, I would assume they would not help me at Oxford where the supposed "mean number of A* at GCSE ... was ... 10.4 for applicants receiving offers ... mean proportion of A* at GCSE was ... 0.95 for applicants receiving offers".

On another note, I am not exactly sure of what I want to do. Medicine seems like something that would presumably give me something to do with my life. Likewise, I am also keen on Mathematics and Computer Science (school tried to make me do it one year early, but it didn't work out)- however, I feel I won't get anywhere in life with those subjects.
mpaprika
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Another one of my concerns is whether or not IGCSEs will put me at a disadvantage compared to people with GCSEs. For example, would an A* in IGCSE Computer Science be preferred or a 9 in GCSE Computer Science.

Furthermore, I should have mentioned- would 9 GCSEs be sufficient for Medicine at top universities like Oxford or Cambridge. Likely, I would assume they would not help me at Oxford where the supposed "mean number of A* at GCSE ... was ... 10.4 for applicants receiving offers ... mean proportion of A* at GCSE was ... 0.95 for applicants receiving offers".

On another note, I am not exactly sure of what I want to do. Medicine seems like something that would presumably give me something to do with my life. Likewise, I am also keen on Mathematics and Computer Science (school tried to make me do it one year early, but it didn't work out)- however, I feel I won't get anywhere in life with those subjects.
ok so I do wjec which means the grades go from A*-U. If you receive and A* then you receive the top grade, and the top grade in England is a 9. Although this is ''higher'' than an A* it is the highest you can possibly get, and if you get a high UMS then there shouldn't be a problem
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You are doing enough GCSEs.*
It does not matter that some are IGCSEs (not that there is anything you could do about that anyway).
Stop stressing.

*A few years ago the fashion was for doing loads of GCSEs, fashions have changed (owing to a change of government focus and lack of money in state schools) and people are doing fewer but the statistics you are looking at are for people older than you.
Last edited by Compost; 4 months ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
9 GCSEs is sufficient for Medicine. You can compare the GCSE and A level requirements of all the medical schools on a website called The Medic Portal. Yes, some people applying to the top Unis will have more than 9 but that doesn't mean that you will be discriminated against because you only have 9
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

GCSEs and IGCSEs are treated the same. Anecdotally, IGCSEs might be a bit harder (?true).

Yes that is the average for Oxford medicine. However a) you aren't far behind and plenty of people got in with 9 or less b) you don't even know you are applying to Oxford yet c) you don't even know you're applying to medicine yet! And the flipside is that by doing fewer you might get better grades - as you say, 9s now being available and all (Oxford's not using them yet but other unis are).

Maths and computer science are highly employable degrees. Coding/programming skills are particularly in demand in the current and emerging economy.

If you are actually serious about medicine you need to get some work experience and see what its like.
Shazington
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by nexttime)
GCSEs and IGCSEs are treated the same. Anecdotally, IGCSEs might be a bit harder (?true).

Yes that is the average for Oxford medicine. However a) you aren't far behind and plenty of people got in with 9 or less b) you don't even know you are applying to Oxford yet c) you don't even know you're applying to medicine yet! And the flipside is that by doing fewer you might get better grades - as you say, 9s now being available and all (Oxford's not using them yet but other unis are).

Maths and computer science are highly employable degrees. Coding/programming skills are particularly in demand in the current and emerging economy.

If you are actually serious about medicine you need to get some work experience and see what its like.
Now that I think about this, many of those statements are true. I am going to be doing work experience later this month in a hospital to see what it is like; possibly piquing my interest. Furthermore, as you mention it, UCAS only allows you to apply to one of Oxford and Cambridge; I will preferably go for Cambridge and likewise, Cambridge University is also coming to my school for some "talk". I have heard Cambridge statistics are better than Oxford in terms of admission to rough courses like Medicine and hopefully, being an International Student won't drastically affect my chances (although only 21 out of ≈ 280 places are kept for International Students).
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Now that I think about this, many of those statements are true. I am going to be doing work experience later this month in a hospital to see what it is like; possibly piquing my interest. Furthermore, as you mention it, UCAS only allows you to apply to one of Oxford and Cambridge; I will preferably go for Cambridge and likewise, Cambridge University is also coming to my school for some "talk". I have heard Cambridge statistics are better than Oxford in terms of admission to rough courses like Medicine and hopefully, being an International Student won't drastically affect my chances (although only 21 out of ≈ 280 places are kept for International Students).
Medicine is a very rough course yes.

As long as you can afford the Cambridge fees - closing on £400,000 over the 6 years last time I looked!
mjhmichael18
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You are doing enough. I only did 9 originally but I didn’t manage to pass many so I hope you do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.52%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (497)
59.24%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.42%

Watched Threads