I can’t understand Macbeth!! Watch

smolbean12
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m currently in year 11 and I’ve been attempting to revise macbeth for ages now but I just can’t seem to understand the play to apply anything I’ve read to exam Q’s. Learning quotations is also so hard for me!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
fish finger fan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by smolbean12)
I’m currently in year 11 and I’ve been attempting to revise macbeth for ages now but I just can’t seem to understand the play to apply anything I’ve read to exam Q’s. Learning quotations is also so hard for me!
what exactly are you struggling with e.g plot, characters, context, quotes? I've got notes for all of them. I'm in year 11 as well ,and have not long managed to understand it myself. It is certainly a confusing play. I hate it! (but I'm still willing to help)
Last edited by fish finger fan; 1 week ago
owen.winn
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm in year 12 currently and got a 9 last year in literature, just begin to learn the key themes and how you can link quotes to the themes and then attribute those themes to the question. Make sure to practice your analysis so that you can fully expand upon a quote and max out your marks for AO1.
smolbean12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by fish finger fan)
what exactly are you struggling with e.g plot, characters, context, quotes? I've got notes for all of them. I'm in year 11 as well ,and have not long managed to understand it myself. It is certainly a confusing play. I hate it! (but I'm still willing to help)
mainly quotations and actually coming up with points to answer a question
fish finger fan
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
mainly quotations and actually coming up with points to answer a question
"While I threat, he lives"-Macbeth. He is talking about how he is worrying about killing Duncan as treason is a serious crime, while Duncan is living completely oblivious.

"Neptune's ocean wash the blood from my hand"-Macbeth. He is guilty about killing people, also mentions Neptune who is something like the roman god of freshwater.

"Unsex me here"-Lady Macbeth. She is asking to have her gender removed, so that she can have masculine character traits.

"plucked my nipple from his boneless gums" and "dashed the brains out"- lady Macbeth. Gory I know, but she is not showing what was seen as femininity at the time.
"Great Glamis, worthy Cawdor"-Lady macbeth. She is trying to manipulate Macbeth. She is the dominant figure in the relationship, not what you would have expected at the time.

"was the hope drunk"-Lady Macbeth. She is accusing Macbeth of being drunk, and no thinking straight after he mentions plans to kill Duncan.

"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serprent under't"- Lady Macbeth.
"Turn hellhound, turn!"-Macduff before he kills Macbeth. He is calling Macbeth a dog from hell.

"fair is foul, and foul is fair", "not so happier, yet much happier"-Witches. Speaking in paradoxes. Links to when Macbeth echoes the Witches by saying "so foul and fair a day".

Also talk about how Macbeth has a servant called Seyton. "Seyton!"-,Macbeth. Sounds like satan= devil. Seyton is Macbeth's cheif servant, that could represent how the devil has taken control of Macbeth's mind.

There's some quotes, I'm not great at points, sorry. Hopefully this has been useful. Just think as well, at the end of this year we can forget that Macbeth even exists. Good luck.
smolbean12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
fish finger fan thank you so much, this was honestly so helpful ) I’m currently re reading Macbeth at a slower pace and making a bank of quotes so hopefully i’ll get the hang of it soon ))) xx
fish finger fan
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
fish finger fan thank you so much, this was honestly so helpful ) I’m currently re reading Macbeth at a slower pace and making a bank of quotes so hopefully i’ll get the hang of it soon ))) xx
Good luck.
spowis5
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Use audio books, re read the books as much as possible while listening,
Key events to do with themes post it note it with colours
Get a fresh copy of the book each chapter and highlight and comment on them - place into tables, characters, themes, locations
Write a paragraph on a theme per time of revision

When learning quotes
Quizlet (app)
Stick up on wall post its, read quotes everyday
My favourite (takes longer) - quote flash cards type out/write quotes you remember without cards, correct them
Amber2019
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I’m currently in Year 11 and am also studying Macbeth. Do you have the revision guide? I found it quite helpful in terms of key quotations and themes etc. GCSE Pod is also a really good resource to use. If breaks everything down into short videos which go over things such as structure, tone, context, quotes, themes, characters, relationships etc. It has videos for poetry and other parts of the literature paper. Good luck in your exam!
AidenHa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I’m in year 13 now but I did very well during my exams despite never actually reading Macbeth. The key to my success is definitely GCSEPod, They had every theme, character, setting, absolutely everything I needed to know. I then also wrote notes as I was going through it and stuck them on my wall! Try GCSEPod
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (111)
17.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.35%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.94%
How can I be the best version of myself? (190)
29.97%

Watched Threads