Can I study a joint honours degree at Oxford - English and Philosophy?

Watch
graciefergo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is it possible to study this joint honours degree at an Oxford college? I am really keen to explore the possibility of one but I can't find any information on the university's website. Being a current Year 12 student I'm in no huge rush to find out the answer but time is a-ticking... So any help is appreciated!
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by graciefergo)
Is it possible to study this joint honours degree at an Oxford college? I am really keen to explore the possibility of one but I can't find any information on the university's website. Being a current Year 12 student I'm in no huge rush to find out the answer but time is a-ticking... So any help is appreciated!
If you can't find the information on their website, I would contact them directly (you should be able to find a contact email or phone number for the uni or department) as they will be best place to give you the answer.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by graciefergo)
If it's on this page then yes, if it's not then no.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...listing?wssl=1

So that's a no.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As above, there are joint schools (joint honours courses) but only in specific combinations. You can't do philosophy with English literature specifically, however you can do philosophy in other combination with other literary subjects.

For example, you could do philosophy and modern languages (as the languages courses at Oxford are very literature oriented). You can also take a single paper in ancient or medieval philosophy in English and Classics. In Classics itself (as a single honours course) you can choose from a wide range of philosophy and (classical) literature options (you can do as much philosophy as a joint honours course in Classics). You don't need to have studied Greek or Latin in school to do Classics there (although you do need to learn at least one of the languages on the course) so if you don't mind learning one of the Classical languages that might be a good option (especially as classical literature has had an enormous influence on English literature since).

So there might be some options depending on what your interests in philosophy and literature are specifically. If your main interest in English literature is e.g. Shakespeare or Chaucer though, as opposed to literature more generally, and your interests in philosophy are wide ranging and don't fit into a single option paper, there may not be anything suitable at Oxford however.

Since philosophy is only studied as part of a joint school at Oxford, it's unlikely you'd be able to start in English then change into one of the joint schools (perhaps linguistics and philosophy?). Starting in one of the joint schools and then changing to English might be more possible, but generally you will only take a single philosophy paper in the first part of the courses at Oxford, so this may not be much better an option (you would also need to do a modern/classical language(s) or psychology/linguistics or politics/economics or CS or maths or physics as the majority of your papers otherwise).

You may have more flexibility at Cambridge, where philosophy and English are only studied as individual subjects, but the tripos format allows more scope for switching between courses (and this is better supported at Cambridge, as I understand, although you'd still need both subjects' directors of studies to agree to any change).

Alternately of course you might want to look at courses elsewhere of course, where it might be a better supported combination. I believe Southampton offers English and Philosophy, and they are to my knowledge has more options (and perhaps strengths) in the continental school of philosophy which is probably one of the more literature relevant areas of (Western) philosophy in any case.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (421)
56.66%
I don't have everything I need (322)
43.34%

Watched Threads