Can't decide on a Medical School /2019 Entry (Glasgow VS Aberdeen) Watch

Weronika1207
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi guys I'm a 6th year pupil at secondary school and have applied to medicine at Aberdeen, Glasgow, Dundee and St Andrews for 2019 entry. I received offers from Glasgow and Aberdeen back in January and February and just received an offer from St Andrews but still have to hear back from Dundee.

Pretty much all the way through the application process Aberdeen and Glasgow have been at the top for me (I live in Aberdeen) and if I were to move anywhere it would definitely be Glasgow over St Andrews or Dundee. However now that I have my offers for my two top choices, I am really struggling to make a decision. I know that I still have some time left to decide but realistically there is not a lot of time remaining before you have to start preparing for moving away if you choose to do so.

Since I live in Aberdeen I have had many opportunities to visit the Forresterhill campus and Suttie Centre and I genuinely feel at home when I am there. The lecture theatres being so close to the hospital make it really practical and I also live 25 mins away on foot from both the Forresterhill campus and Old Aberdeen campus. I can't make a fair comparison to Glasgow as in all honesty I have never actually had a full tour round the campus at Glasgow or the Wolfson building ( I have only ever been in the New Lister Building for my interview) but I am planning to visit in the upcoming months. I like both of the course structures and cannot really know whether the PBS based learning at Glasgow or the Systems Based learning at Aberdeen will suit me better so it isn't really a deciding factor.

Weighing my options for the two based on living in general is also hard. Staying at home would mean less financial stress and would be easier overall as my food shopping, laundry etc wouldn't have to be done by me but I know that living with my parents even if only for the next two years would drive me crazy. Also staying alone in Glasgow would give me the freedom and independence that will make student life more enjoyable and will prepare me more for the future.

There is so much more I could write but I think all I can ask for is for any Glasgow students (Med Students) in particular to share what life is like when studying medicine at Glasgow and just any general tips or advice from anyone that might help me? Tyyyyyy
buzzcutszn
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm in a similar situation except I applied for Edz and not St Andrews, I live in Aberdeen too and I'm also a school leaver. I really like the university of aberdeen but really like glasgow as a city and the idea of living there. The students were all so nice at Glasgow as well but I'm concerned about how effective I'll find PBL. Are u anywhere closer to making your decision?
Paddles111
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey guys... in the same situation!! Haha except I have also have an Edinburgh offer so it’s between all three. Weronika1207 I’d seriously consider moving to Glasgow! I am a graduate and know that if I’d lived at home during my first degree it really wouldn’t have been a uni experience and more like school, I think now is the time to go out and be independant (it’s great!) and start to do stuff alone. Plus you can always go home at weekends/holidays but living away from home is one of the big things about uni, of course money etc comes into but most people are all in the same boat - take advantage of the fact you are Scottish and not paying masses for your degree haha. This is just my opinion of course and there may be other factors but i had a few friends that lived at home and they found it quite hard to integrate etc although if you put in effort you’d be fine. Just an opinion!
Weronika1207
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 hours ago
Yeah I'm also a bit worried about PBL but at the same time based off of my school experience I find that when I have a full lecture based lesson where, say in chemistry the teacher just stands at the front and goes over everything we need to know I tend to switch off and find problem based learning more engaging and I actually absorb information more sometimes. At the same time I kind of like the structure of being able to just listen to the teacher and then go home and look over my notes when I need to as I find it less intimidating to be put on the spot with problem solving especially on days where I am exhausted and don't have to energy to do anything but just listen. I guess I have to deal with that knowing that this course will be demanding either way right? I have heard that Glasgow is apparently implementing slightly less PBL and having a better balance of teaching methods now. And to answer your question yeah my gut is mostly telling me to move away to Glasgow. Obviously I have my doubts as I am just naturally someone who is not a big fan of change and having everything that's familiar to me quite far away scares me. I still have some exploring to do and need to go down to Glasgow soon to become a bit more familiar with the uni. Are you steering more towards Glasgow as well?

(Original post by buzzcutszn)
I'm in a similar situation except I applied for Edz and not St Andrews, I live in Aberdeen too and I'm also a school leaver. I really like the university of aberdeen but really like glasgow as a city and the idea of living there. The students were all so nice at Glasgow as well but I'm concerned about how effective I'll find PBL. Are u anywhere closer to making your decision?
Weronika1207
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 hours ago
yeah thank you for the reply! It's good to hear that from someone who has already been through a uni experience and what you've said is exactly what I'm thinking swell, I think posting this was just an effort for me to stop doubting everything so much. One way or another things will change completely for me at some point in my life, this will be a crazy change either way so might swell dive in and go with the full on University experience, rather than going halfway and having to adapt again later if I choose to stay and move out in a few years.
(Original post by Paddles111)
Hey guys... in the same situation!! Haha except I have also have an Edinburgh offer so it’s between all three. Weronika1207 I’d seriously consider moving to Glasgow! I am a graduate and know that if I’d lived at home during my first degree it really wouldn’t have been a uni experience and more like school, I think now is the time to go out and be independant (it’s great!) and start to do stuff alone. Plus you can always go home at weekends/holidays but living away from home is one of the big things about uni, of course money etc comes into but most people are all in the same boat - take advantage of the fact you are Scottish and not paying masses for your degree haha. This is just my opinion of course and there may be other factors but i had a few friends that lived at home and they found it quite hard to integrate etc although if you put in effort you’d be fine. Just an opinion!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads