a level "equations of lines" question

Watch
khadijahammad33
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
hi guys, Im stuck on part b of a question and would like some help please. it is:
A curve has equation y=x^2(4x+5) and the point P has coordinates (-1,1)
(a) Prove that the tangent to the curve at P has equation y=2x+3 (ive done this part )
(b) Show that this tangent intersects the curve again at the point with x-coordinate equal to 3/4.

i think you make the two equations equal to start off but idk whats next.
Last edited by khadijahammad33; 2 years ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well once you've equated the two functions, you've effectively just made a new equation that you can solve.

8x^3 -5x^2 = 2x + 3, right?

You've got a cubic equation there. The roots of that equation will tell you the x-values for the points of intersection of the two functions.
The reason you can solve it is because you've been told one root - so you'll have to do polynomial long division.
khadijahammad33
Rep:
?
thanks!
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Well once you've equated the two functions, you've effectively just made a new equation that you can solve.

8x^3 -5x^2 = 2x + 3, right?

You've got a cubic equation there. The roots of that equation will tell you the x-values for the points of intersection of the two functions.
The reason you can solve it is because you've been told one root - so you'll have to do polynomial long division.
begbie68
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not sure if you've written the function correctly.

From the given equation of the curve, when x=-1. y=-9, which will give tangent as y=22x+13

And, if x=1 (maybe you got your coords wrong way round?), then y = -1
The tangent to the curve at this point is y = 2x - 3, but this tangent meets the curve again....
khadijahammad33
Rep:
?
im not too sure what you mean but the question ive written is straight from the textbook and the only mistake I can see is that the other person who gave an answer is slightly wrong because they wrote 8x^3 when its actually 4x^3

oh and ive got the answer now lol
(Original post by begbie68)
Not sure if you've written the function correctly.

From the given equation of the curve, when x=-1. y=-9, which will give tangent as y=22x+13

And, if x=1 (maybe you got your coords wrong way round?), then y = -1
The tangent to the curve at this point is y = 2x - 3, but this tangent meets the curve again....
Last edited by khadijahammad33; 2 years ago
begbie68
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i've graphed the equation that you gave, and included the tangents that I mentioned in earlier post.

Based on this, I'd be interested to see your result & how on earth did you manage to get y = 2x+3 as the eqn of the tangent?
(Original post by khadijahammad33)
im not too sure what you mean but the question ive written is straight from the textbook and the only mistake I can see is that the other person who gave an answer is slightly wrong because they wrote 8x^3 when its actually 4x^3

oh and ive got the answer now lol
Attached files
khadijahammad33
Rep:
?
I expanded y, differentiated it and substituted -1 to find the gradient at that point and got 2, used the equation y-y1=m(x-x1) to find the equation of the tangent and simplified it
(Original post by begbie68)
i've graphed the equation that you gave, and included the tangents that I mentioned in earlier post.

Based on this, I'd be interested to see your result & how on earth did you manage to get y = 2x+3 as the eqn of the tangent?
begbie68
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ok. so you've now altered your original eqn. but you've chosen not to admit to that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
13.79%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
13.79%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (7)
12.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (23)
39.66%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
17.24%

Watched Threads