Asda to stop selling knives by April Watch

The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...id=mailsignout

The decision to stop selling these items comes in response to rising concerns about knife crime in the UK, particularly those involving children and young people,” a spokesman for the supermarket chain said in a statement

This will probably make things worse, people are just going to buy knives from other sources and may even become an illegal trade just like with drugs. This will put even more pressure on the police as they need to tackle new types of crime.
And what about the people who need to buy knives for genuine things like cutting vegetables? If all markets stop selling knives they will have to order one online, which may be the only option. And if they too stop selling knives they will have to travel to other countries to buy knives...only to be arrested at the airport probably.

They should come up with more rational and sensible solutions than just banning everything, remember a ban is not going to stop criminals as criminals do not respect the law.
Last edited by The RAR; 1 week ago
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
it is quite easy to make a knife yourself. just saying.
The RAR
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
it is quite easy to make a knife yourself. just saying.
Only if they are a skilled blacksmith
If they are indeed skilled blacksmiths, it's a pity they would use these skills for dishonest actions rather than something more productive
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
And how does Asda propose I cut my cheese? With my teeth?
Telomere
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They are only stopping selling single knives - will still sell knife sets and knives in cutlery sets.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Looks like I will have to resort to using my machete or going to any other place to buy a knife, stupid move from asda
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
calm down, you can still buy knives from Asda. Just not single ones, the ones that are more likely to be stolen.
mpaprika
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
wow if only America was this serious with guns
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Who the hell buys knives from a supermarket?

The internet has a far wider variety of knives which are often far cheaper and far nicer.
Violet Femme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The RAR)
This will probably make things worse, people are just going to buy knives from other sources and may even become an illegal trade just like with drugs. This will put even more pressure on the police as they need to tackle new types of crime.
And what about the people who need to buy knives for genuine things like cutting vegetables? If all markets stop selling knives they will have to order one online, which may be the only option. And if they too stop selling knives they will have to travel to other countries to buy knives...only to be arrested at the airport probably.
So yeah, what are they going to cut vegetables with? Their teeth?
You didn't bother reading the article you linked, did you?

The are not going to stop selling knives. Which makes all your bluster redundant.

They are going to stop selling single knives, their most shoplifted item.
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What a shame, I enjoy buying my single knives... for no reason in particular...
The RAR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Violet Femme)
You didn't bother reading the article you linked, did you?

The are not going to stop selling knives. Which makes all your bluster redundant.

They are going to stop selling single knives, their most shoplifted item.
Actually I did read the article but not word by word however. Some people prefer cutting food with single knives, small knives may not be suited for all people or for all types of cuttings they make. Like I said, people are just going to buy the knives from other sources
viffer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Actually I did read the article but not word by word however. Some people prefer cutting food with single knives, small knives may not be suited for all people or for all types of cuttings they make. Like I said, people are just going to buy the knives from other sources
BIB

I did not realise there were other ways of reading. Every day is a school day
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
While your post is blatant misrepresentation of the article there, am still not sure how I feel about this one. Doubt it's going to be particularly impactful. Man can just go to tesco, for one thing.
(Original post by Obolinda)
calm down, you can still buy knives from Asda. Just not single ones, the ones that are more likely to be stolen.
If the multipacks are still there isn't a dude planning on stealing a knife just gonna opt to steal a pack of 3 instead? They're both as anally packaged as each other, it's hardly going to add an immense amount more inconvenience unless they only sell sodding huge multipacks.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
While your post is blatant misrepresentation of the article there, am still not sure how I feel about this one. Doubt it's going to be particularly impactful. Man can just go to tesco, for one thing.

If the multipacks are still there isn't a dude planning on stealing a knife just gonna opt to steal a pack of 3 instead? They're both as anally packaged as each other, it's hardly going to add an immense amount more inconvenience unless they only sell sodding huge multipacks.
Ok? I'm not in favour of this ban, it'll make no difference. But the OP seems to be making out that There won't be any knives at Asda.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mpaprika)
wow if only America was this serious with guns
ban purchases of single guns, 3 or more guns only
The RAR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
Ok? I'm not in favour of this ban, it'll make no difference. But the OP seems to be making out that There won't be any knives at Asda.
That's what I thought at first whilst reading the article, but only now do I think I misinterpreted the article after seeing the replies. If they are still selling knives for cutlery it's fine, but is still unfair on the people who need the big single knives for genuine domestic reasons. I hope this ban does not extend to other markets, I was just pointing out the consequences of banning these knives from all markets
Rabbit2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...id=mailsignout

The decision to stop selling these items comes in response to rising concerns about knife crime in the UK, particularly those involving children and young people,” a spokesman for the supermarket chain said in a statement

So yeah, what are they going to cut vegetables with? Their teeth?

They should come up with more rational and sensible solutions than just banning everything, remember a ban is not going to stop criminals as criminals do not respect the law.
This is quite true!! What is also true, is that you can kill someone as easily with a sharpened pencil as you can with a knife [no, i'm not going to tell you how]. What do we do then, ban pencils??? Then pens... then.... Why not just ban crime.... OH!! That's right, they already did that one. Cheers.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That's what I thought at first whilst reading the article, but only now do I think I misinterpreted the article after seeing the replies. If they are still selling knives for cutlery it's fine, but is still unfair on the people who need the big single knives for genuine domestic reasons. I hope this ban does not extend to other markets, I was just pointing out the consequences of banning these knives from all markets
Oh ok. You can get big knives but in the multi packs.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
LIDL still sells chainsaws and welding torches right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads