Asda to stop selling knives by April Watch

Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
From what I understand small kitchen knives are v popular, Kitchen Devils especially, not to mention ceramic blades ect that can pass metal wands. So called 'zombie knives' tend to be novelty display pieces, you can certainly do someone with them, but they often don't have much of an edge.
Yh, nobody goes around with zombie knives in their pocket. They're hardly discreet and are not accessible.
barror1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Guess I'll use my Mastersword to finely chop carrots
Dandaman1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Violet Femme)
You didn't bother reading the article you linked, did you?

The are not going to stop selling knives. Which makes all your bluster redundant.

They are going to stop selling single knives, their most shoplifted item.
It's still inconvenient that I now have to buy a whole set if all I want is a single knife.

I wonder why they won't lock the knives away if theft is the issue. They do this at Walmart (which is Asda) already.

Anyhow, as far as the knife crime epidemic is concerned, I'm not sure this is going to make much difference, with knives being highly ubiquitous, everyday items. You don't exactly need to steal one from Asda - there are plenty of places to get them. Hell, you can even improvise a shiv if you're that desperate.
Dannyboy2015
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Too much confusion in this thread title.

ASDA is to stop selling single knives.

Tbh, it won't make the tiniest bit of difference, if you are looking for a knife to stab someone with would you not fork out the extra £5er or slip a multipack into your bag???

0 thought went into this, other than free PR.

Also won't affect anyone wanting a good set of knives for their kitchen, bcos you don't go to ASDA for that stuff lol.
tomahawker314
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mpaprika)
wow if only America was this serious with guns
I don't know where to begin with this comment. It is far more stringent than people realise to buy a gun, many background checks etc. Also guns are so entrenched in their culture it would be a terrible mistake to make them illegal, who would hand their guns over if this were to happen? Law abiding citizens who would use them for self defence or sport, rather than criminals so now we have a situation where only criminals have guns and no one can defend themselves, sounds perfect to me.
And from your comment I am inferring that you think this is a good move by Asda? This will solve absolutely nothing, those who want to buy a single knife for legitimate purposes are penalised and those that want to stab don't care about this, they are already outside the law and will purchase elsewhere, or just buy a set.
Dandaman1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
its a bit silly. There is no way of restricting the availability of knives, none that are remotely practical at least.

Its just something we have to accept - we can control the availability of dedicated-weapons that serve no other purpose then being a weapon (guns etc), but we can't control the availability of every-day objects that could be used as a weapon as well as their primary use (bats, knives, cars even)

If you can't solve the problem by dealing with the availability, then you must solve it by dealing with the causes of knife crime. Start with single-parent families, and the lack of dads in poor communities.. then work on to re-creating proper local communities, and keep going from there.
Which is why legislative efforts to restrict knife availability have had no measurable impact on knife crime. The two don't even appear to have an inverse relationship. It's a fruitless endeavour trying to restrict something so ubiquitous. And banning zombie knives - what did that do? Quick, ban those green, scary-looking knives! That'll work! Aaaand it did nothing.

Destroy the gangs, increase stop-and-search, and get to the root of the problem in the community.
Lima_bean
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It seems to me that their pledge to "ban knives," as a "response to rising concerns about knife crime in the UK," is nothing more than a ploy to reduce theft of their stock. In my view, they probably wanted to introduce multi-pack kitchen knives in blister packs to make them more difficult to steal, and while doing so they thought 'Hey, wouldn't this be a great thing to brag about and pretend that we give a flying **** about the community!' and so they turned it into a media piece.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Something I feel a few people are deffo missing here, No. ASDA stopping single knives will not miracle fix knife crime, someone that really wants a blade will still get one sooner or later. But in my view it's an attempt to cut down IMPULSIVE stabbings among children, where someone feels disrespected or threatened they can't run into ASDA and escalate things quite as easily or quickly in a moment of madness. Every delay whether it's needing a fake ID, having to find someone to buy it for you, having to wait for delivery ect ect gives someone a chance to cool off and change their mind.

Same sort of logic goes for plastic glasses in bars and club's, it cuts down on breakages and costs sure, but it's mainly so drunk people don't impulsively crush their glass into someones face in a life changing way. It's why you even get the old American gag of the gun dealer saying 'Sorry, there's a 3 day wait for your gun" and the American red in the face shouting 'But i'm angry NOW!' :rolleyes:
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If Asda is a business why are they making political moves? Are they being threatened in secret by the state?

The real threat comes from the cutlery sets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhfuuKiTcYQ

I have also provided the most common sense solution to these problems with clipping the points off kitchen knives and making more available protection.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5346538
TolleyQuantum
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The RAR)
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...id=mailsignout

The decision to stop selling these items comes in response to rising concerns about knife crime in the UK, particularly those involving children and young people,” a spokesman for the supermarket chain said in a statement

This will probably make things worse, people are just going to buy knives from other sources and may even become an illegal trade just like with drugs. This will put even more pressure on the police as they need to tackle new types of crime.
And what about the people who need to buy knives for genuine things like cutting vegetables? If all markets stop selling knives they will have to order one online, which may be the only option. And if they too stop selling knives they will have to travel to other countries to buy knives...only to be arrested at the airport probably.

They should come up with more rational and sensible solutions than just banning everything, remember a ban is not going to stop criminals as criminals do not respect the law.
So, I won't be able to buy a kitchen knife? Well, I hope it doesn't go from knives to frying pans before I buy a knew one. To bad for chefs as well I suppose. Also, I thought there was an age requirement/proof of ID when buying kitchen Knives?
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TolleyQuantum)
Also, I thought there was an age requirement/proof of ID when buying kitchen Knives?
They get stolen
TolleyQuantum
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
They get stolen
Ah... Well then I guess it makes sense for ASDA to do this. Why spend money on extra security when you can just stop stocking that product. I hate Walmart.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ah... Well then I guess it makes sense for ASDA to do this. Why spend money on extra security when you can just stop stocking that product. I hate Walmart.
I'd be quite surprised if the profit margin for all of ASDA's sold single knives nationally paid for the costs of a single extra security guard let alone one for every ASDA.
TolleyQuantum
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd be quite surprised if the profit margin for all of ASDA's sold single knives nationally paid for the costs of a single extra security guard let alone one for every ASDA.
Yeah, I hear ya. Still, it just comes across (at least to me) as them trying to save their own image. Seriously, I hate Walmart.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah, I hear ya. Still, it just comes across (at least to me) as them trying to save their own image. Seriously, I hate Walmart.
Well, it IS them trying to save their own image, they sell stuff, they need their image? I don't see that as a negative tbh?. They aren't the ones stabbing people.
TolleyQuantum
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well, it IS them trying to save their own image, they sell stuff, they need their image? I don't see that as a negative tbh?. They aren't the ones stabbing people.
Meh... I suppose. Still, I can't imagine, or at least see/think of how (admittedly because I'm making my brain not do it, no matter how curious it is about the different perspective) this is really going to help. Just seems like a meaningless gesture. I wanna say: Be pretty and do as little as possible, but that doesn't really make sense. I've just got that Lindsay Ellis Rent video stuck in my head.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.13%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.48%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.75%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.5%

Watched Threads