Speeding Watch

123eee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I received my license in June 2018 & yesterday (march 8th 2019) I was doing 33 in a 30 & just realised the police camera van was there but just ever so slightly before the van I turned right. I’m worried that I’ve been caught as i know the cameras catch you before aswell. Any one know what might happen next?
kazzykat95
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 123eee)
I received my license in June 2018 & yesterday (march 8th 2019) I was doing 33 in a 30 & just realised the police camera van was there but just ever so slightly before the van I turned right. I’m worried that I’ve been caught as i know the cameras catch you before aswell. Any one know what might happen next?
You might get a Fixed Penalty Notice through the post, which is usually about £100.
Revolver72
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 123eee)
If you've been caught speeding by a Mobile Police Safety Camera, then a letter will be sent to the address that the car is registered to, informing the owner of the offence, and subsequent fixed penalty notice. This would normally be 3 points, and a £100 fine. Any points will stay on a licence for 3 years, and on your record for 4. You would need to inform your insurer of these points, too. The letter can take up to 14 days to arrive.

If your speedometer was reading 33 in a 30, it's likely that you were doing no more than 30/31mph true speed, so it's unlikely that you'll actually be done for speeding. Most speedometers are calibrated with about 10% over-compensation.
xDron3
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nothing will happen probably.

33 isn't usually enough for the mobile speed cameras to prosecute as they usually have a fair bit of lenience. If you was caught, 3 points and a fine or a speed awareness course would be offered.
MrAwesomeeee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Those vans can be a nuisance, but 33 will very likely not get you caught. Speaking purely from personal experience I was doing roughly 45 in a 40 zone and was expecting a letter in the post but didn’t receive any. Just like normal speed cameras they have some degree of leniency.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads