The Student Room Group

LGBT friends

moved this to relationships!

Hi! So, I've applied to uni for this coming September and I'm a bit nervous about homophobia. I'm a lesbian, I'm pretty much out and proud to whoever asks and I've been with my girlfriend for quite a while now. However, I'm worried about how people at uni are gonna take it? My firm is UCL and my insurance is Cardiff, so I was wondering if anyone at those unis would have advice or could let me know if the LGBT Socs are any good. Mainly I'm worried that I'll only make straight friends that could be weird about me being gay/me having a girlfriend. My group of friends at college are all really welcoming or they're gay themselves, but I know that finding people like that can be quite rare. Any and all advice welcome!!
I don't think you should have too much of a problem, most young people these days are pretty accepting of the lgbt community, the ones I've met, anyway. And London is very progressive, so you are sure to find a group of great people.
As a straight girl myself, I can say I wouldn't choose a friend who was weirded out by a gay couple...
As for the homophobia, I can't really comment, as I've never had it happen to me, or to my friends when I was with them. I just hope you don't run into any idiots.
thank you! it is reassuring that the areas I'm applying to are progressive! more of the concern is that I won't find gay friends! lots of my friends are straight and I love them to pieces, but without my gay friends I would feel kind of isolated from the community! that's not to say that that is the fault of straight people, that's just what a lot of LGBT people feel!
Original post by EmCharles
I don't think you should have too much of a problem, most young people these days are pretty accepting of the lgbt community, the ones I've met, anyway. And London is very progressive, so you are sure to find a group of great people.
As a straight girl myself, I can say I wouldn't choose a friend who was weirded out by a gay couple...
As for the homophobia, I can't really comment, as I've never had it happen to me, or to my friends when I was with them. I just hope you don't run into any idiots.
would appreciate if you don't call me a lesbo mate but aight. also don't appreciate whatever slur is starred out
Original post by Anonymous
Nob9dy cares if ur a lesbo these days more times than not people care about it being male dating a male or *******s but lesbos are absolutely fine.

It's ironic but, eh
(edited 5 years ago)
Don't worry about it. Sexuality is typically not something people make a big deal about at university age. By that point most people will have had contact with gay classmates/friends/family members/etc before and will behave normally.
I'm bisexual but pretty much only date girls and I've never met anybody who has a problem with it! Everyone's really accepting and there are lots of LGBT places in Soho/the rest of London for you to go to x
fingers crossed!!
Original post by sinfonietta
Don't worry about it. Sexuality is typically not something people make a big deal about at university age. By that point most people will have had contact with gay classmates/friends/family members/etc before and will behave normally.
awesome thank you!! are you at uni? i'm curious about whether lgbt socs are generally any good!!
Original post by angelinahx
I'm bisexual but pretty much only date girls and I've never met anybody who has a problem with it! Everyone's really accepting and there are lots of LGBT places in Soho/the rest of London for you to go to x
Lesbo is short for lesbian fyi '-'
Original post by luckycharmer
would appreciate if you don't call me a lesbo mate but aight. also don't appreciate whatever slur is starred out
i know, just most lesbians don't like being called a lesbo! apologies if you didn't realise!! whenever i've been called a lesbo it was in a derogatory context
Lesbo is short for lesbian fyi '-'
You sound like a lovely person is never mean to offend ya btw and yeah there are evil people in this world, I feel sorry for ya
Original post by luckycharmer
i know, just most lesbians don't like being called a lesbo! apologies if you didn't realise!! whenever i've been called a lesbo it was in a derogatory context
cheers haha! no harm done x
You sound like a lovely person is never mean to offend ya btw and yeah there are evil people in this world, I feel sorry for ya

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending