what subjects should i chose with a level history in college?

Watch
zara7896
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
what subjects go well with a level history in collge and how many do i need to chose is it 2 or 3?
StudentAngy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’d recommend English Lit and Psychology as they usually go well together and u usually have 3 subjects but some sixth for allow 4
zara7896
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i thought it was language and politics i dunno
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
History goes well with many subjects depending on your interests and potential paths into higher education (assuming you are taking A-levels as a prelude to university).

English literature makes a natural pair with history for classics/related courses for example, and might also be helpful preparation for philosophy courses. Politics/economics/geography is quite common as an option with history for going onto courses in those areas or (modern) history. Modern languages are usually a good opton if you're good at and enjoy them, and particularly if you went into academia in "arts" subject areas (such as history) it's usually necessary to at least attain reading knowledge in a modern foreign language (although this can often be obtained once you're in your PhD, and which language is most relevant usually depends on the particular area of academia you end up working in).

For subjects like archaeology and/or anthropology it can be relevant to take it with one or more science subjects; this would also be quite relevant for subjects like the history and philosophy of science or science in society type courses. These are all much more niche areas though, and usually have no specific requirements so any combination is suitable for admissions purposes typically, although it's certainly a fairly sensible combination for archaeology or HPS (except at Cambridge where you need 3 STEM subjects to apply to Natural Sciences and hence study HPS, although you might be able to change into HPS from another course there).

Maths is usually necessary to study economics at university, and history isn't an uncommon option to take before economics at university (since other than maths there are usually no specific requirements). It would also give a broader perspective for e.g. law and might demonstrate your ability to think more abstractly and logically as well as do in depth research and interpretation of sources, while writing essays (from history). However law doesn't have any specific requirements so there is no need to take either option, but it's certainly a reasonable prospect for a combination.

Essentially, most things can fit with it, and if your main interest and aim for degree level study is in history, I'd recommend picking those subjects you have an interest in otherwise (which also usually correlates with better results), and then finding the links to history that almost inevitably will exist in those in your wider reading

some caveats:

Spoiler:
Show

Do bear in mind the above note about economics (and PPE, by extension) as if you wanted to potentially keep these courses as an option you should plan to take A-level Maths. If you were interested in economic history it may not be necessary to take A-level Maths but it would likely be helpful so, it may be worth considering still.

I would caution if you are just taking history but don't plan to continue with it in any form beyond school, and are otherwise focused on STEM courses and want to do a STEM degree, it's usually better to do more rather than fewer STEM subjects to prepare you for the course. Most STEM degrees require two STEM A-level subjects (usually specific ones) and it's usually better preparation to take three (or sometimes four if you're taking further maths), especially for "top" unis.

Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
StudentAngy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah a language also but It really depends what u want to do in the future tbh.. y
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.29%
I'm not sure (33)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.71%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.29%

Watched Threads