Are you happy now?
Not yet
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TensorTympani)
With current talks in Parliament reaching nowhere and with a very few people backing the currently proposed deal, also the EU are not willing to make adjustments as well. The Parliament are also not in a majority for any deal on the table and wish to make the table longer by extending Brexit.
Have we reached a dead end on Brexit?
Depends where you look

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...ng-number/amp/

Extending Brexit is the worst thing which could happen, we need certainty of what is going to happen.

No deal is looking the only option at present, our politicians are trying to make no deal unfeasible but in reality no Brexit is unfeasible in the eyes of the british public.

Get on with it parliament.
Dannyboy2015
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think the best deal would be one in which we switch the populations of Northen Ireland & Scotland around. That way the Scottish could be independent, we avoid a land border with the EU, and we still have access to all the oil in the North Sea.

Simples.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dannyboy2015)
I think the best deal would be one in which we switch the populations of Northen Ireland & Scotland around. That way the Scottish could be independent, we avoid a land border with the EU, and we still have access to all the oil in the North Sea.

Simples.
Lol yes only slight problem is the majority og the Irish don't want independence and I don't think scotland do either.
Dannyboy2015
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Lol yes only slight problem is the majority og the Irish don't want independence and I don't think scotland do either.
No..... Really?????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dannyboy2015)
No..... Really?????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????
I understood your joke and sarcasm, it's a shame you did not understand mine
TensorTympani
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
:bump:
Dannyboy2015
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Everyone, place your bets now!
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
So essentially the EU can't limit freedom of movement because then everyone would want that, although actually no one else does want to? Sounds about right for EU reasoning, but that doesn't mean it's got any basis in logic.
What are you talking about. Europe does want freedom of movement. You can go to Paris and jump on a train to Berlin, Amsterdam, Munich or Lyon. It makes no difference. Similarly, businesses in the border regions of Europe trade and do business as if there were no border. The UK is obsessed with borders forgetting that despite the English channel illegal migrants still come here in their droves. It is our economy that attracts them. No amount of moats and walls will stop people coming. And whilst we are obsessed with looking inward, we seem to be forgetting that building walls also traps us in.
ThatOldGuy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
What are you talking about. Europe does want freedom of movement. You can go to Paris and jump on a train to Berlin, Amsterdam, Munich or Lyon. It makes no difference. Similarly, businesses in the border regions of Europe trade and do business as if there were no border. The UK is obsessed with borders forgetting that despite the English channel illegal migrants still come here in their droves. It is our economy that attracts them. No amount of moats and walls will stop people coming. And whilst we are obsessed with looking inward, we seem to be forgetting that building walls also traps us in.
This is an interesting argument. I'm not going to create a strawman and assume when you say 'Europe' that you don't mean 'Everyone in Europe' since there has been a significant upswing in anti-EU sentiment. Instead, I'll get to the core of your argument:

Freedom of movement is generally good. When people have more freedom of movement, they have more opportunities for work. They have more opportunities for freedom. They have more opportunities to learn about the world. As the world gets more interlinked, war becomes more distant and economies are more likely to flourish. For examples of this, you can see the development of the Interstate Highway system in the US for a strong showing of just that providing a huge boost to the economy and well-being of the state.

Is that about right? Because I can definitely agree with those points AND, though I generally agree with Brexit, I do understand the costs involved. Would you agree that this is essentially your argument?
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
I think you've misunderstood my post a little. When limiting freedom of movement (as an example) was brought up, the EU said "we can't do that for one country, otherwise every country would want it". My point was that's a terrible argument - if other members wanted the same thing that's what the EU should be working towards. I do realise there's much less appetite for change in the rest of the EU. Personally, I think freedom of movement was a good thing when the EU economies were all broadly comparable but the expansion has led to too great a disparity in the economies involved to be unequivocally good.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TensorTympani)
With current talks in Parliament reaching nowhere and with a very few people backing the currently proposed deal, also the EU are not willing to make adjustments as well. The Parliament are also not in a majority for any deal on the table and wish to make the table longer by extending Brexit.
Have we reached a dead end on Brexit?
I think we might have I can see one more thing they can do and then it might end which is a second peoples vote but yeah I think brexit is dead.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
QE2
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by paul514)
It is within the PM’s power to do no deal regardless what they vote next week
Whatever happened to the Sovereignty of Parliament™? Was that just another Leave campaign lie? Is the only thing left in their portfolio really just a bit of xenophobia and some hedge-fund speculation?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.68%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.27%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (191)
29.98%

Watched Threads