The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

My first year at University!

Ok so where the heck do I start this???
I finished my A Levels back in 2017 so I’ve taken a bit of a long break which I really shouldn’t of. Wasn’t entirely sure what I wanted to study but I knew for sure I wanted to go Uni because I haven’t really lived my best life😩

When I was doing my A Levels I was initially looking into studying Dance at Surrey, quite far from home as I’m from Yorkshire. After a long hard think I decided that wasn’t for me, I needed something for life and dance wasn’t going to make the cut. So I kind of just left it at that and just stopped looking at uni for a while.

In the mean time I’ve been trying to get a job but it’s so difficult as everywhere is wanting experience and I don’t have it, so I went to the job centre to claim job seekers allowance for the meantime.

It was around August last year I had just came out of a relationship with someone who I thought I would honestly be with for a long time, I was very depressed and was anxious about anything for around 3 months, I definitely wasn’t in the best of places. So I decided I wanted to focus on getting myself together and doing something I wanted to do which is Travel and Tourism. I researched so much to find a university that suited me with a course I liked.

My confirmed university of choice is Universify of Hertfordshire and I will be studying Internation Tourism Management and I’m beyond excited to start in September!

I know it’s only March but I feel like I have so much to talk about in my lead up to Universify and also all about my first year! So far I’ve applied for my accommodation, I had to choose FIVE options, like WHAT!? I can only afford two of them because it is closer to London and I’m not exactly the richest😂 I’ve also sent of for my student finance, my parents just finished off sending their financial information so I just have to wait now.

My mum went to Asda and bought me my own Iron also as I feel like if I get used to my own it’ll be a lot easier and I’ll know how to use it, I’ve never really done much house work like cooking, washing or ironing so it’s all new to me and I’m looking forward to learning!

I can’t wait to keep you all updated on my journey!❤️
Original post by Caitx14
I finished my A Levels back in 2017 so I’ve taken a bit of a long break which I really shouldn’t of. Wasn’t entirely sure what I wanted to study but I knew for sure I wanted to go Uni because I haven’t really lived my best life😩

When I was doing my A Levels I was initially looking into studying Dance at Surrey, quite far from home as I’m from Yorkshire. After a long hard think I decided that wasn’t for me, I needed something for life and dance wasn’t going to make the cut. So I kind of just left it at that and just stopped looking at uni for a while.

In the mean time I’ve been trying to get a job but it’s so difficult as everywhere is wanting experience and I don’t have it, so I went to the job centre to claim job seekers allowance for the meantime.

It was around August last year I had just came out of a relationship with someone who I thought I would honestly be with for a long time, I was very depressed and was anxious about anything for around 3 months, I definitely wasn’t in the best of places. So I decided I wanted to focus on getting myself together and doing something I wanted to do which is Travel and Tourism. I researched so much to find a university that suited me with a course I liked.

My confirmed university of choice is Universify of Hertfordshire and I will be studying Internation Tourism Management and I’m beyond excited to start in September!

I know it’s only March but I feel like I have so much to talk about in my lead up to Universify and also all about my first year! So far I’ve applied for my accommodation, I had to choose FIVE options, like WHAT!? I can only afford two of them because it is closer to London and I’m not exactly the richest😂 I’ve also sent of for my student finance, my parents just finished off sending their financial information so I just have to wait now.

My mum went to Asda and bought me my own Iron also as I feel like if I get used to my own it’ll be a lot easier and I’ll know how to use it, I’ve never really done much house work like cooking, washing or ironing so it’s all new to me and I’m looking forward to learning!

Good luck! Hope you enjoy it :smile:
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
I hope it goes well for you! It's really good that you've found a course/area that you are passionate about too! Good luck! The next few months will fly by...trust me!
Reply 3
11th March 2019

Saturday I’m going to Herts Open day and I don’t know whether to be nervous or excited! I haven’t really met anyone new in a few years now and I’m not exactly the most confident.

I’m sure I’ll love it but there’s always the thought in the back of my head that no one will like me kinda thing.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
18/03/19

Bit of a late update, so sorry about that.

I attended the open day on the 16th and I loved it, so obviously I have been offered a place and I should of attended an offer holder day but train tickets were already booked for the open day.

So the university is around a 30 minute walk from the train station (that’s what they’ve said anyway, I got on the free open day bus which took around 5/10 minutes) sounds about accurate tbf depending how quick you walk. I arrived at the College lane campus and it looked so nice, it’s quite a lot bigger than I expected so I’m glad I went instead of finding out when I moved in. I got a welcome booklet when I checked in about all the talks and tours that were happening throughout the day on that campus specifically which was super helpful.

Before having the accommodation tour at around 11am I had a walk round with my parents as this isn’t my campus of study but I wanted to have a quick look as you never know where you will be when you get to uni. There’s a subway inside one of the buildings and also a restaurant which is always nice (prices are average I would say)

Then the accommodation tour came around we first went to check out the standard room on that campus, the students were so lovely and welcoming and answered all questions you had. Secondly we went to the townhouse which is a shared bathroom. Then the enhanced room which is just a bigger space than the standard room with more storage also. With me studying on the other campus I wasn’t too focused on these accommodations but townhouse is my second choice, if I was to get that I wouldn’t mind as the rooms are pretty nice overall.

Now I needed to get to my campus, there’s a free inter-campus shuttle bus that takes you between campuses and it runs everyday until late. Knowing this was so nice as I’d hate to walk between both campuses late at night. When I got there I was kinda familiar with where I had to go because I had done my research. Collected my welcome booklet for that campus and got talking to people.

So here we did the exact same, we had a walk round by ourselves before doing anything, the campus is so nice but let’s just say there is so much walking to do!!! On this campus there is only one accommodation option so we just checked out one room and the kitchen. The room is a lot bigger than I expected looking at pictures, so much space and a lot of storage, the kitchen is also nice and plenty of space for your food & drinks!

On this tour they also told us about places around the campus, so we had a chat about the gym and what it offers, we also went to the bar and they told us the opening times and things like that. There’s also a shop on site that sells things you may of forgot to bring with you, such as stationery. Oh I also forgot to mention we got a goodie bag full of things on arrival which is so thoughtful of them!

After the tour I wanted to talk to the lecturers about my course, she was so lovely and she was also accompanied by another student who I’m guessing is in her 3rd year as she had just came back from her study abroad programme. They explained each module and how they would be taught, this really helped as I have been out of education since 2017 so going back into can be a struggle, but hopefully all my knowledge from travel and tourism will come back to me! They explained the study/work abroad programme and that the student their went to work at Disney, which is hopefully what I get to do. She said she loved it and she’s so happy she went.

I made sure to collect lots of leaflets and pens, I love doing that. By the end of it my bag was jam packed with stuff! And that’s the end of that, overall it was an amazing day, everyone seems so lovely and welcoming and I can’t wait to be there in September!

Also a little update on what I’d bought, my mum bought me some towels in a salmon pink colour so I’m thinking I should base my room on that colour to make it look nice. I was wanting purple or blue but there weren’t any in stock. I’m going to get my bedding soon which my nana has offered to buy for me so I’m going to have to decide what I want plain or a pattern, ugh tough decisions! Usually my mum would buy me bedding without me having an input.

Anyway I’ll keep you all updated about anything else that happens😊
Reply 5
19/03/19

I went into town today to get something for my mum for Mother’s Day. I wanted to also get myself some more socks because you know they disappear in the washer constantly!

Went into primark picked up my socks and just wanted to look at the home section, and like usual I bought things I didn’t necessarily need too as my parents are getting me a few things. I bought two grey pillows as I’m thinking I will have my room as black/white/grey and then also a main colour which I’m thinking will be salmon pink as my towels I bought are that colour but I’m not entirely sure, I’m not a big fan of pink but I’d like it all to match. I also bought these cute matching tea towels and dish cloths which were in the colours green, pink and white!

I saw a few other bits but didn’t want to buy too much, really wanted a storage bin but I didn’t really like any of the colours they had. They also had a soap dish and soap dispenser which were in salmon pink which I think I might pick up.
Reply 6
Hey guys I’m back again! It’s been a longggg 10 days!

Recently all I’ve really bought is laundry bags, a shower cap, toastie bags and a few stationery bits. On YouTube I’ve really been into watching people do their bullet journal so I feel like I want to start one but it’s very awkward as I’m not gonna start it until September so is that weird or not???

Still haven’t heard about accommodation yet, it’s been a month so I’m guessing they just take forever to sort it all out which I don’t mind but I’m so anxious waiting to find out.

I’m also wondering if I need to take any pans with me to uni, basically I don’t cook myself, I’ll mostly just eat pizzas, sandwiches or toast. I feel like buying pans and taking them in my suitcase will take up space which I could use for something else. If I really want to cook food or get into that I can always buy my own pans when I’m there which doesn’t faze me too much.

Anyway I’ll probably update yall when I hear back about accommodation or when I buy more things.
Reply 7
Just got my accommodation for University! I’m in Welwyn flat 11. I still haven’t paid the deposit yet, that’s my next thing to do. Hopefully I find people in my flat
Reply 8
I’m in flat 13 :smile:
Reply 9
Cool will do :smile:
Reply 10
While you're at home home, ask your parents to teach you how to cook. Eating pizzas, sandwiches or toasts all the time isn't good for health.
Reply 11
Original post by agrew
While you're at home home, ask your parents to teach you how to cook. Eating pizzas, sandwiches or toasts all the time isn't good for health.

I can cook, I just don’t plan on it. I don’t see the point changing what I eat
Reply 12
Good luck with that.
Original post by Caitx14
I can cook, I just don’t plan on it. I don’t see the point changing what I eat
Original post by Caitx14

Sounds like you've got it all under control haha! Have you tried studentbuzz.co ? I just started University and i haven't head a load of people speaking about it
It's deffo worth taking a look at studentbuzz.co

I managed to get 2 months' free spotify from there and regularly get good content (you choose what you want to see)
Original post by Caitx14

It's also taking a look at StudentBeans (www.studentbeans.com) and Unidays. Often times, it's just better to search on google for student deals, for example, HP (the computer company) has a separate student store from their main store OR KFC via StudentBeans would give you free food ontop of your order (it used to be a discount but they had to change it - either way it's still good).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending