Doctors note help Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've been struggling with anxiety this academic year and have been on prescribed medication for a few weeks after I saw a doctor about it and I have to go back to my doctors to discuss how it's going next week. While I'm there I was hoping to ask my doctor for a letter. I want to use it as evidence for a mitigating circumstances form at uni and possibly for DSA to get some extra support for next year (I already get some for my dyslexia).
Only problem is I've never had to ask for one before and I don't know how to bring it up. Do I just ask him during our appointment? And do I have to tell him what its for? I also know that you normally have to pay for doctors notes so does anyone know how you do this? Do you pay by cash or card and when is it you pay?
I seriously have no clue and could do with some help
marinade
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would pre-write a letter to the Doctor and mention it at the end of the appointment there and give it to them. It's pretty standard. Try and be to the point in your letter and short i.e. what you want out of it/why. My experiences/what I've heard off other people is that GPs will write incredibly short letters 2 lines long, to whom it may concern, Josephine Bloggs has xyz and it is my understanding they are a student and it may affect their day to day tasks. etc. The all singing, all dancing letters people get from other nurses/consultants are very rare and save for more grave other circumstances.

It's nothing to worry about. Doctors do it all the time. If for some reason for you forgot, if you gave the letter to reception staff (anytime) it probably wouldn't work out any different, I know it sounds a bit crazy saying that but doctors are so busy and will probably forget you said oh can you write me a letter until they sit down for 30 seconds and do it.

The doctor may well say give it to reception staff at your meeting. Then give it to reception staff on the way out, they will then either charge you on the spot or give a spiel about we charge for this etc, it won't be quick it'll be 1 week+ etc etc. Charges vary from £10 to £50, but most seem to be £15-20.
Last edited by marinade; 1 week ago
Petetyerman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is bread and butter work for GP bring it up in consultation and explain what is need for and why. They will usually expect payment on collection of report and should tell you how much before that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (111)
17.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.35%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.94%
How can I be the best version of myself? (190)
29.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise