DukeOfEndor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I'm currently a first year history student at the University of Sheffield and am finding the workload way to much.
For the past 3 weeks and the next 3 weeks also I've had an essay of 1500/2000 a week. Is an essay a week normal for university and how much harder does it get in second and third year?

Thanks for any replies.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DukeOfEndor)
So I'm currently a first year history student at the University of Sheffield and am finding the workload way to much.
For the past 3 weeks and the next 3 weeks also I've had an essay of 1500/2000 a week. Is an essay a week normal for university and how much harder does it get in second and third year?

Thanks for any replies.
It varies from uni to uni, course to course, and module to module. However, one essay a week isn't in any way excessive, imo.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DukeOfEndor)

Thanks for any replies.
My son is also a first year History student (at Exeter) and he is also struggling with the barrage of essays that the Uni are demanding this term. As I would say that Exeter and Sheffield are comparable, I'm guessing that the workload is not unusual for those sort of Unis. He found the course nice and gentle at first, but not now! As I remind him, it's only a few more weeks until Easter and then no more essays until the exams. When you're feeling fed up, try to comfort yourself with the long summer holiday coming up. Even if you're working for some of them, it's still a break from the essays
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
My son is also a first year History student (at Exeter) and he is also struggling with the barrage of essays that the Uni are demanding this term. As I would say that Exeter and Sheffield are comparable, I'm guessing that the workload is not unusual for those sort of Unis. He found the course nice and gentle at first, but not now! As I remind him, it's only a few more weeks until Easter and then no more essays until the exams. When you're feeling fed up, try to comfort yourself with the long summer holiday coming up. Even if you're working for some of them, it's still a break from the essays
I'm curious - what does he define as a barrage?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
I'm curious - what does he define as a barrage?
Well the terminology is mine...he said he is sick to death of essays (like the OP, one a week, every week).

I realise that some Unis will have a higher workload than this, but I can empathise with the fact that it is a bit mentally draining to be in a constant cycle of research and essay writing
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Well the terminology is mine...he said he is sick to death of essays (like the OP, one a week, every week).

I realise that some Unis will have a higher workload than this, but I can empathise with the fact that it is a bit mentally draining to be in a constant cycle of research and essay writing
Yet he chose a subject based on writing essays... 😁

I studied history at York several decades ago and the workload was slightly heavier - one essay a week, plus 2 seminar papers a term for the first few terms. After that it varied according to the module chosen.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Yet he chose a subject based on writing essays... 😁

I studied history at York several decades ago and the workload was slightly heavier - one essay a week, plus 2 seminar papers a term for the first few terms. After that it varied according to the module chosen.
It's not as if writing essays is all they have to do - they are also writing seminar papers, doing group work, presentations etc. I don't suppose him and OP are the first students to ever feel temporarily fatigued by the subject they chose to study, whether that be History, Law or any other subject
Last edited by harrysbar; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads