rrbbaa05
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
can someone please help me with structuring answers!!! i do the CAIE board currently in A2 doing china and the cold war. if youre from another board please do still help.. i do the 60/40 way. the examiners report says 'sustained answer' im not sure what that means. i have a B in AS and i really want to change that into an A or A* any tips for that????? PLEASE HELP
julcop18
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
hey im doing A2 cold war with OCR. To structure an essay you really need to look at the dates first within the question for example if the question wants you to assess the factors that developed the cold war from 1948-61 (for example) you need to give a specific event that happened in 48 (blockade) and in 1961(berlin wall). Also include another 2 factors. You need to have a common theme that channels through the essay such as ideological differences or change of personnel (leaders) or arms race. Make sure you ALWAYS do a judgment at the end of the factor by assessing the IMPACT.... think what makes something impactful-- did people die ? what events did it lead to? cause socio-economic problems?Make sure your intro and conclusion includes everything you have talked about and the most important factor needs to be recognized throughout, it shouldn't be like a murder mystery where you only find out the killer at the end!!hope this helps, Julia
user121212
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sustained meaning what you initially argue within your introduction is not contradicted by the rest of your essay.
(Original post by rrbbaa05)
can someone please help me with structuring answers!!! i do the CAIE board currently in A2 doing china and the cold war. if youre from another board please do still help.. i do the 60/40 way. the examiners report says 'sustained answer' im not sure what that means. i have a B in AS and i really want to change that into an A or A* any tips for that????? PLEASE HELP
jesscamp
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Before you dive in to answering the question, make sure you take the time to plan. Personally, I find this the most important part of writing answers; I find it more helpful to write a detailed plan because there is a clear direction to your arguments, rather than trying to make it up as you go along. Also, make sure you have enough time for each of your answers - don't get caught out as I did in the mocks by spending one hour on one question and only leaving half an hour for the other!

Introduction: Outline the factors you will be writing about and a clear judgement on them. Give a criteria on the words you will be picking apart in the essay and how you will assess this for each factor. My course doesn't cover your topics, so I can only use an example from my own. E.g. For the question "How far do you agree that the support of the Lutheran princes was the most important reason for the survival of Lutheranism in Germany in the years 1521-55?" explain what the word 'survival' actually means and pick apart the other reasons why the key event may have occurred.

Main body: Make sure you put across your argument in the first sentence of each paragraph - don't be flim flammy, be clear and concise. Ensure you make mini conclusions throughout the main body of your essay from the points you are making. No matter how tedious it may seem, link your points back to the question for all of your points and give evidence for what you're saying (make sure you give evidence that corresponds to the dates given too - sounds silly but it caught some of my classmates out!). The structure of an essay depends on the question you're given, for example for a source question it might be helpful to have a paragraph on the context of the sources analysing their provenance before investigating their claims. Write it so it makes sense to you, but also bear in mind that it needs to make sense to the examiner.

Conclusion: summarise the points you made in the main body of your essay and reinforce your judgement. Ensure you reiterate the key words being used in the question. If the question is about value, how would you prioritise the factors involved?

Sorry for the long reply, but I hope this helps in some way!
rrbbaa05
Rep:
?
(Original post by jesscamp)
Before you dive in to answering the question, make sure you take the time to plan. Personally, I find this the most important part of writing answers; I find it more helpful to write a detailed plan because there is a clear direction to your arguments, rather than trying to make it up as you go along. Also, make sure you have enough time for each of your answers - don't get caught out as I did in the mocks by spending one hour on one question and only leaving half an hour for the other!

Introduction: Outline the factors you will be writing about and a clear judgement on them. Give a criteria on the words you will be picking apart in the essay and how you will assess this for each factor. My course doesn't cover your topics, so I can only use an example from my own. E.g. For the question "How far do you agree that the support of the Lutheran princes was the most important reason for the survival of Lutheranism in Germany in the years 1521-55?" explain what the word 'survival' actually means and pick apart the other reasons why the key event may have occurred.

Main body: Make sure you put across your argument in the first sentence of each paragraph - don't be flim flammy, be clear and concise. Ensure you make mini conclusions throughout the main body of your essay from the points you are making. No matter how tedious it may seem, link your points back to the question for all of your points and give evidence for what you're saying (make sure you give evidence that corresponds to the dates given too - sounds silly but it caught some of my classmates out!). The structure of an essay depends on the question you're given, for example for a source question it might be helpful to have a paragraph on the context of the sources analysing their provenance before investigating their claims. Write it so it makes sense to you, but also bear in mind that it needs to make sense to the examiner.

Conclusion: summarise the points you made in the main body of your essay and reinforce your judgement. Ensure you reiterate the key words being used in the question. If the question is about value, how would you prioritise the factors involved?

Sorry for the long reply, but I hope this helps in some way!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! extremely grateful btw do you know if its possible to go from B to A* In A2?
rrbbaa05
Rep:
?
thank you so so much
(Original post by julcop18)
hey im doing A2 cold war with OCR. To structure an essay you really need to look at the dates first within the question for example if the question wants you to assess the factors that developed the cold war from 1948-61 (for example) you need to give a specific event that happened in 48 (blockade) and in 1961(berlin wall). Also include another 2 factors. You need to have a common theme that channels through the essay such as ideological differences or change of personnel (leaders) or arms race. Make sure you ALWAYS do a judgment at the end of the factor by assessing the IMPACT.... think what makes something impactful-- did people die ? what events did it lead to? cause socio-economic problems?Make sure your intro and conclusion includes everything you have talked about and the most important factor needs to be recognized throughout, it shouldn't be like a murder mystery where you only find out the killer at the end!!hope this helps, Julia
jesscamp
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Honestly, I'm trying to do the same thing at the moment because I got a B in my mocks in January! But since then I've rewritten one of my history mocks and I got an A nearly A* so I hope so!
(Original post by rrbbaa05)
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! extremely grateful btw do you know if its possible to go from B to A* In A2?
rrbbaa05
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
What did u get in AS?
(Original post by jesscamp)
Honestly, I'm trying to do the same thing at the moment because I got a B in my mocks in January! But since then I've rewritten one of my history mocks and I got an A nearly A* so I hope so!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?