I regret doing law and have realised I want a career in actuary, any recommendations Watch

Flangy123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I have done a law degree and secured a 2.1 and have worked in a law firm for two years since. I have been exposed to everything from drafting to advocacy, all the way to dealing with civil procedure rules e.t.c.
I have realised that I should never have gone into law. There are several reasons why and I know that I only really did it for the status in society and the potential earning.
Now for the last six months, I have research and spent several hours cogitating over what my future holds. I won't go into too much detail however, I have picked out that I want to work in actuary. The problem is that my degree and work experiences have very little mathematics apart from in tax advice and equity finance. In addition, I dropped A-level maths at As to focus on becoming a lawyer. So I really do not have a strong numerical background apart from an A* at GCSE.
Has anyone been in this situation? If so, what advice would you give? Or generally if anyone knows what options I should take, I would appreciate the help.
ParagonProxy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Flangy123)
I have done a law degree and secured a 2.1 and have worked in a law firm for two years since. I have been exposed to everything from drafting to advocacy, all the way to dealing with civil procedure rules e.t.c.
I have realised that I should never have gone into law. There are several reasons why and I know that I only really did it for the status in society and the potential earning.
Now for the last six months, I have research and spent several hours cogitating over what my future holds. I won't go into too much detail however, I have picked out that I want to work in actuary. The problem is that my degree and work experiences have very little mathematics apart from in tax advice and equity finance. In addition, I dropped A-level maths at As to focus on becoming a lawyer. So I really do not have a strong numerical background apart from an A* at GCSE.
Has anyone been in this situation? If so, what advice would you give? Or generally if anyone knows what options I should take, I would appreciate the help.
Hello Flangy123,

That's quite an intriguing scenario you have. Without an A*/A at A-level Mathematics & Further Mathematics, your chances of being taken seriously are quite limited. Have you looked at some of the IFoA examinations? If you look at some of the papers and course content, a heavy dose of degree-level Mathematics is required to comprehend chunks of it,-- CT8 for example. As much as an A* in GCSE mathematics sounds good, it bears no understanding towards stochastic calculus, Cholesky decompositions and programming/modelling languages (R, VBA, Mo.net, Prophet, some relational database language etc.) which would be quite advantageous.

Similarly, the job market for Actuarial traineeships are somewhat limited, even prospective candidates from top Mathematics/Statistics/CompSci programmes fail to get on due to a lack of industry knowledge. If you lack a formal education in these areas, this counts against you doubly. How many IFoA exams have you got under your belt already? Having some of the less mathematical ones under your belt could help aid your application.

Since you will not go into any detail as to why you're becoming an actuary it is impossible to give you any advice that is tailored towards that end. All I can ask then is have you considered some of the many other roles available at major insurers? (e.g. claims adjusting, underwriting, legal, internal audit...).

Best,

Paragon
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (182)
61.69%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
4.07%
No- I want it (79)
26.78%
No- I don't want it (22)
7.46%

Watched Threads