Do I take Exeter or reapply? Watch

Tommygun2001
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all,

I applied to study law this year and my choices were Cambridge (haha), LSE, Nottingham, UCL and Exeter.

I got to the interview stage at Cambridge but was rejected and my LNAT was terrible - I didn’t feel well at all and got my timing on it completely wrong and ended up with 20, which I was very disappointed by. Nottingham, UCL and LSE have since rejected me, which I guess was because of the poor LNAT.

That means I’m left with Exeter as my only option, where I have an AAB offer.

I looked around it on an offer holders day and found it pretty nice - the course looks interesting, the campus was lovely and I did get a nice vibe from it.

However, I’m quite an aspirational person and I’m unsure if I should settle for Exeter or reapply as I’m concerned if it will open enough doors for me.

I’d ideally like to go this year but I’m willing to wait, take a gap year and reapply if it’s the best option. If I practice, practice, practice on my LNAT and get great A2 results, maybe I can get into one of my original choices.

So, do you think settling with Exeter would be a bad idea as it would limit my opportunities or reapplying is the best course of action? I’m naturally quite an ambitious person so want what’s best for my future career.

Thanks a lot!
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tommygun2001)
Hi all,

I applied to study law this year and my choices were Cambridge (haha), LSE, Nottingham, UCL and Exeter.

I got to the interview stage at Cambridge but was rejected and my LNAT was terrible - I didn’t feel well at all and got my timing on it completely wrong and ended up with 20, which I was very disappointed by. Nottingham, UCL and LSE have since rejected me, which I guess was because of the poor LNAT.

I looked around it on an offer holders day and found it pretty nice - the course looks interesting, the campus was lovely and I did get a nice vibe from it.

However, I’m quite an aspirational person and I’m unsure if I should settle for Exeter or reapply as I’m concerned if it will open enough doors for me.

I’d ideally like to go this year but I’m willing to wait, take a gap year and reapply if it’s the best option. If I practice, practice, practice on my LNAT and get great A2 results, maybe I can get into one of my original choices.

So, do you think settling with Exeter would be a bad idea as it would limit my opportunities or reapplying is the best course of action? I’m naturally quite an ambitious person so want what’s best for my future career.

Thanks a lot!
You like Exeter .Go for it. Work hard and get a first. Then go for the big boys. LSE, OXBRIDGE etc. Don't be too hard on yiurself
Tommygun2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
You like Exeter .Go for it. Work hard and get a first. Then go for the big boys. LSE, OXBRIDGE etc. Don't be too hard on yiurself
Thank you. I do like it but it was my “safe” option and considering how competitive law is, it feels I’d be better placed waiting for one of the others.

Or you think taking Exeter won’t hold me back per say?
Arisapo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Honestly, I’d probably take Exeter.

It seems as if you’d like it there, it’s a great uni and you certainly won’t be held back or disadvantaged from taking a place there.

The others are all fantastic unis as well and I know it must be a little demoralising to only get 1 offer but there are no guarantees you’d get offers next year if you reapplied. If you only got Nottingham for example, would that year out have been worth it?

If you want to go this year, which seems to be the case, go with Exeter and have an amazing time there. It can still match your ambitions if you want it to
Tommygun2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arisapo)
Honestly, I’d probably take Exeter.

It seems as if you’d like it there, it’s a great uni and you certainly won’t be held back or disadvantaged from taking a place there.

The others are all fantastic unis as well and I know it must be a little demoralising to only get 1 offer but there are no guarantees you’d get offers next year if you reapplied. If you only got Nottingham for example, would that year out have been worth it?

If you want to go this year, which seems to be the case, go with Exeter and have an amazing time there. It can still match your ambitions if you want it to
Thank you man, that’s appreciated.

I think I would enjoy Exeter if I go there, it’s just disappointment at messing up my LNAT and not going to one of the top 5 unis.

I am tempted to reapply to get into one of those unis but I don’t know if it’ll be a waste of a year if the difference isn’t significant.

Could anyone else knowledgeable offer any insight? Notoriety J-SP JohanGRK (these are names I’ve seen floating around here who seem knowledgeable!)
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi all,

Thanks a lot!
Why would it limit your opportunities?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Tommygun2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Why would it limit your opportunities?
The others seem to be in a more elite category and seem better regarded for law.

Do you think reapplying would be a mistake then if I liked Exeter?
swanseajack1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
you would not be at a disadvantage. Law graduates from Exeter go into excellent jobs as well.
The others seem to be in a more elite category and seem better regarded for law.

MaxReid
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you think you can get A*AA I'd wait and re-apply to Oxbridge, LSE, UCL.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer here.

Exeter will not limit your opportunities though. The only thing that will limit your opportunities is if you take the naive approach of thinking the university you attend will determine your future.

Oxbridge provides no guarantees - you could be less successful with an average Oxbridge degree and experience than you could do with one where you have excelled at another university.

Tommygun2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by MaxReid)
If you think you can get A*AA I'd wait and re-apply to Oxbridge, LSE, UCL.
Would a degree from those unis put me in a much better position than Exeter?

I wanna go now and a year does seem like a long time. I’d be willing to wait though if it was much more beneficial.
MaxReid
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I wanna go now and a year does seem like a long time. I’d be willing to wait though if it was much more beneficial.
A lot of how you benefit from uni is about mindset, but if you want another go there's nothing stopping you. I missed my offer for Cambridge and applied to Oxford.
Tommygun2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer here.

Exeter will not limit your opportunities though. The only thing that will limit your opportunities is if you take the naive approach of thinking the university you attend will determine your future.

Oxbridge provides no guarantees - you could be less successful with an average Oxbridge degree and experience than you could do with one where you have excelled at another university.
So there’s practically no benefit in reapplying?
Tommygun2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by MaxReid)
A lot of how you benefit from uni is about mindset, but if you want another go there's nothing stopping you. I missed my offer for Cambridge and applied to Oxford.
I’m more concerned about Exeter not being as good as the other unis and considering how saturated law is, I want to maximise my chances.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So there’s practically no benefit in reapplying?
No - there could be a benefit if you think It is better for you.

Will it automatically benefit what you do after university though? No
Last edited by J-SP; 1 week ago
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi all,

Thanks a lot!
Exeter's typical offer is AAA. You have a lower contextual offer so take advantage of it

Exeter certainly won't close any doors for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MaxReid
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m more concerned about Exeter not being as good as the other unis and considering how saturated law is, I want to maximise my chances.
I'd say give Oxford a stab in that case. And if you already have grades you can give the LNAT more time.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Law is not that saturated. There’s many more career options that are more saturated.

Getting an Oxbridge degree does not maximise your chances though.

In terms of elite careers, the bigger influencers to your chances will be your parents profession and the type of school you went to (unfortunately). These are shown to have a much bigger impact than university attended.
Tommygun2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
No - there could be a benefit if you think It is better for you.

Will it automatically benefit what you do after university though? No
That’s my main concern if I’m honest, opportunities after university.

When I look at Chambers Secret and the other things people have sent me, Exeter doesn’t seem to perform particularly well and I have big aspirations.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

It’s law, it’s very competitive. Your background does and will make all the difference as the uni you went to says a lot about you, it’s known how snobby the law industry can be so ofc a background in those areas can make all the difference. That being said, a degree from Exeter won’t hold you back, you’ll just start off more far back and won’t have a head start like those who went to LSE, Oxford, UCL, etc. If you’re looking for anything really aspirational in law, you can get a pretty decent job with Exeter and it’s great employment links but you’ll need to compensate to be on the same level as an LSE/oxford/UCL grad.

Experience wise… well, the less you expect the less disappointed you’ll be, I’m biased apparently so ask someone who hasn’t been there for a more accurate, less biased account 🤷🏽*♂️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (76)
15.64%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (50)
10.29%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (89)
18.31%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (70)
14.4%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (52)
10.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (149)
30.66%

Watched Threads