What would you do in my situation? (Prospective Uni student) help Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Basically, I’m thinking of applying to university in September 2019 for September 2020.

I am wanting to apply to a totally unrelated subject to what I have my level 3 extended diploma in. I want to apply for a history degree. I spoke about this with the admissions team of one of the universities and they said from my college qualifications I hold 144 UCAS points and they would definitely review any application I sent to them as the history course only needs 120 UCAS points for entrance.

The same university also has a integrated foundation year version of the same history degree course and I know if they like your application but don’t think you’re ready for the normal route they can offer people the IFY route instead.

I have all the correct entry requirements and I’m going to make sure I have a really good application (I’m applying as a individual). To have the best possible chance of getting onto the history course.

Do you think it matters that my diplomas are in an unrelated subject? Would I still have a the chance of gaining entry onto the integrated foundation year route of the degree?

Or if you were in my shoes would you do an Access course even though I already have 144 UCAS points from my diplomas?

P.S night I add I’m preparing for the course as best I can with free online short courses, reading important history books, reading history study books (history essay writing etc). Again, the admissions team said they would happily look into any application I sent and they said I definitely have 144 UCAS points.
velvethopes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Basically, I’m thinking of applying to university in September 2019 for September 2020.

I am wanting to apply to a totally unrelated subject to what I have my level 3 extended diploma in. I want to apply for a history degree. I spoke about this with the admissions team of one of the universities and they said from my college qualifications I hold 144 UCAS points and they would definitely review any application I sent to them as the history course only needs 120 UCAS points for entrance.

The same university also has a integrated foundation year version of the same history degree course and I know if they like your application but don’t think you’re ready for the normal route they can offer people the IFY route instead.

I have all the correct entry requirements and I’m going to make sure I have a really good application (I’m applying as a individual). To have the best possible chance of getting onto the history course.

Do you think it matters that my diplomas are in an unrelated subject? Would I still have a the chance of gaining entry onto the integrated foundation year route of the degree?

Or if you were in my shoes would you do an Access course even though I already have 144 UCAS points from my diplomas?

P.S night I add I’m preparing for the course as best I can with free online short courses, reading important history books, reading history study books (history essay writing etc). Again, the admissions team said they would happily look into any application I sent and they said I definitely have 144 UCAS points.
I'd say you should definitely go for it. If you have an interest in history and eager to learn, then why not? Every year many people start degrees that they've never studied before in previous education, so I'm sure you'll have no problem getting onto the course too, especially with your 144 UCAS points. A foundation year might be a good idea though if you think you'd need that extra year to get up to speed with it.

Definitely go for it. Good luck, and best wishes!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by velvethopes)
I'd say you should definitely go for it. If you have an interest in history and eager to learn, then why not? Every year many people start degrees that they've never studied before in previous education, so I'm sure you'll have no problem getting onto the course too, especially with your 144 UCAS points. A foundation year might be a good idea though if you think you'd need that extra year to get up to speed with it.

Definitely go for it. Good luck, and best wishes!
Thank you so much! I will definitely go for it. I’m attending an open day on Wednesday, so I will make sure to get some good advice from the admission team and the history lecturers as to whether I’m better suited to the intergrated foundation year or the normal pathway. But I’m guessing they’ll tell me to aim as high as I can because I’m sure they usually use the foundation year, as a counter offer if they feel like an applicant is more suited to that or has a little less experience than they should for the normal degree.

So I will take in account what they say, but I think I will just go for the normal History BA (hons) degree, as I do have more than enough UCAS points and I have only been out of education for 2 years.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Lots of people apply for courses they didn't study before. Don't worry about It, just explain why you want to study that course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads