The Student Room Group

med school question

In my book, it says that "the superficial temporal artery is one of the two terminal branches of the external carotid artery"

What is the other terminal branch of the external carotid artery?

Also, I found from the internet that the "
An end artery (or terminal artery) is an artery that is the only supply of oxygenated blood to a portion of tissue.
Arteries which do not anastomose with their neighbors are called end arteries. There is no collateral circulation present besides the end arteries."

So how is the superficial temporal artery a temporal artery?

It doesn't make sense because there is anastomoses in the superficial temporal artery I think from the image attached:

18.JPG
Not quite sure where you are seeing an anastomosis there.

Look up the Circle of Willis, which does contain anastomoses - I think that will help you to understand the difference.
The two terminal branches of the external carotid are the superficial temporal artery, as you've said, and the maxillary artery.

On your diagram, that is not an anastomosis, but just two branches of the superficial temporal artery.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Not quite sure where you are seeing an anastomosis there.

Look up the Circle of Willis, which does contain anastomoses - I think that will help you to understand the difference.

Thank you very much for your reply back! I was wondering what would you define as an anastomoses as I am confusing its definition a lot. And where is the anastomoses in the circle of Willis (apologies if it is obvious - just want to make sure)

Thank you very much!!
Reply 4
The two terminal branches of the external carotid are the superficial temporal artery, as you've said, and the maxillary artery.

On your diagram, that is not an anastomosis, but just two branches of the superficial temporal artery.

Thank you very much for your reply back! I was wondering what would you define as an anastomoses as I am confusing its definition a lot. And where is the anastomoses in the circle of Willis (apologies if it is obvious - just want to make sure)

Thank you very much!!
Original post by Kalabamboo

Thank you very much!!

In simple terms, just think of an anastomosis as a junction and you have roads (blood vessels) converging at the anastomosis.

Basically any system where you have different blood vessels connecting.

The circle of Willis itself is an anastomosis.
Reply 6
In simple terms, just think of an anastomosis as a junction and you have roads (blood vessels) converging at the anastomosis.

Basically any system where you have different blood vessels connecting.

The circle of Willis itself is an anastomosis.

Thank you very much! Also, is the junction you have kindly mentioned a closed junction like the circle of Willis or can it be a open junction?
Thank you very much! Also, is the junction you have kindly mentioned a closed junction like the circle of Willis or can it be a open junction?

Any connection.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'open' junction.
Hello @Kalabamboo

Let me try to help you understand an anastomosis clearly and simply - I notice you are confused.com (:colondollar:) about it in at least 3 different threads.

You understand, I am sure, how an arteriole (medium-sized artery) keeps branching until it reaches its region of distribution i.e. the part of an organ/tissue that it supplies blood to - the smallest branches are the capillaries (single-cell walled = endothelium ONLY) which then start uniting to form small venules then larger venules then the main vein draining that organ/tissue, yeah?

Ok, imagine that instead of the capillaries joining to form venules and veins, AT LEAST ANATOMICALLY they unite to form small arterioles then larger arterioles, until they become large enough to BE ONE (other i.e. other than the original one in italics above) ARTERY.

The difference PHYSIOLOGICALLY, is that instead of blood flowing effectively BACK TOWARDS THE HEART as in the bold print (veins) above, BLOOD IS IN THIS CASE FLOWING IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION in this SECOND ARTERY i.e. towards the organ/tissue of distribution JUST LIKE THE FLOW IN THE artery in italics above.

SO THE organ/tissue being distributed to is receiving blood from two (or more) separate arteries, and where these two arteries, after multiple branching, unite IS THE ANASTOMOSIS.

I shall try and post a diagram to illustrate this for you in a sec from my phone.

M
IMG_20190311_192506.jpg
E.g. look at Superior lateral and inferior lateral genicular arteries and how they join up = form an anastomosis with each other (similarly with the medical counterparts) - sorry different pic = knee (Greek genuine = bend like a knee)
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
IMG_20190311_192506.jpg
E.g. look at Superior lateral and inferior lateral genicular arteries and how they join up = form an anastomosis with each other (similarly with the medical counterparts) - sorry different pic = knee (Greek genuine = bend like a knee)

Ah thank you so much!! I was very confused.com indeed :smile: But you have helped me loads!! Really appreciate the help!!
Is the bit I have circled in blue the anastomoses?
Also, in the other image, is the red circled part an anastomoses?

Really apologise for delay in replying! Had so many classes after uni:frown:

Again, thank you very much!!
Sort of, but your blue circled part needs 1/3 chopped off from top and bottom each, so the anastomosis is the middle bit - it is shown as 2 branches of the arteries joining, but in reality there are several smaller ones joining.

AND the word is anastomosis (singular) OR anatomoses (plural).
Sort of, but your blue circled part needs 1/3 chopped off from top and bottom each, so the anastomosis is the middle bit - it is shown as 2 branches of the arteries joining, but in reality there are several smaller ones joining.

AND the word is anastomosis (singular) OR anatomoses (plural).

Ah yes! Thank you very much:smile:
So it is the blue bits in this picture right? An anastomosis is 2 branches of one artery joining to 2 branches of another artery in this case - is that correct?
Also,in the other picture that I have attached , I am struggling to understand where the anastomoses occur?
If possible, could you please kindly let me know your thoughts on this?

Thank you very much - once again, many thanks for all your help!:smile: Sorry for all the headache:frown:
Ah yes! Thank you very much:smile:
So it is the blue bits in this picture right? An anastomosis is 2 branches of one artery joining to 2 branches of another artery in this case - is that correct?

Yes, in this schematic diagram, but several (probs numerous) in real life NOT two.

Also,in the other picture that I have attached , I am struggling to understand where the anastomoses occur?
If possible, could you please kindly let me know your thoughts on this?

This is a SCHEMATIC diagram, with veins shown as arrows, so it DOES NOT SHOW THE anastomoses per se. The fact that the 2 veins [in this case] anastomosing are joined up and draining blood from the same point in opposite directions tells you that THEY ANASTOMOSE.

Thank you very much - once again, many thanks for all your help!:smile: Sorry for all the headache:frown:

I HAVE A COUPLE OF PIECES OF ADVICE FOR YOU (and take them as constructive criticism, pls!):-
1. While it is very good to learn/understand extreme detail (I myself was named "Detail Friek" by my lecturers!!), don't bog yourself down into far too much detail, otherwise you will have no time for numerous other aspects of the medical curriculum - depth of knowledge is important but so is BREADTH.
2. Concentrate on what is clinically relevant and important e.g. the presence of an anastomotic arterial supply to an organ means that if one artery is blocked or damaged, there is a backup of blood supply. Extreme detail in anatomy will come if you decide to do FRCS after qualification in medicine, for obvious reasons.

M (former medical student)
M (former medical student)

Ah brilliant! Thank you very much!! Indeed, I do drive my teachers crazy sometimes lol! But yeah you are right! I shouldn't go crazy over detail - will try my best lol

Again, thank you very much for your help:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending