Help? Watch

Jack065
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So, yada yada, cuts n stuff.

Advice for cleaning cuts? Initially and over extended periods of time.

Thanks ^-^
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jack065)
So, yada yada, cuts n stuff.

Advice for cleaning cuts? Initially and over extended periods of time.

Thanks ^-^
Just your basic day to day cuts- wash with clean water then dry and cover with a plaster until it isn't bleeding and isn't going to get all gross and dirty (for some cuts like little scratches covering may not be necessary while for some they may need to be covered for a couple of days).

For bigger or deeper cuts- you might need to pop to a pharmacy, walk in clinic etc to get them looked at a bit better and check there's no need for strips or anything to make sure they heal up fine. Cleaning will be much the same, but with a bit more emphasis on later cleaning (mostly keep covered, rinse and dry maybe some salt to prevent germs)

For really heavy bleeding, massive cuts, deep punctures or slashes etc- you may need to call 111/ 999, go to A&E etc Again much the same as with the deeper cuts with cleaning but potentially with antibiotic preventative measures and more emphasis again on longer term cleaning. Prehaps needing deeper cleans by nurses as it heals to prevent infection and check on healing.

Mostly it will just be a matter of cleaning out a cut with some clean water when it happens then either just keeping it visually clean or rinsing it every day with a bit of plain or salty water and drying it fully. Anything that seems more substantial and you get some medical help with they should tell you how to clean it.
One thing of note is that antiseptic wipes are not actually for cuts- they are for cleaning hands before dealing with cuts. If used on a cut they can actually hinder the healing process.

This link gives some more info on dealing with cuts and such
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cuts-and-grazes/
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jack065
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Kindred)
Just your basic day to day cuts- wash with clean water then dry and cover with a plaster until it isn't bleeding and isn't going to get all gross and dirty (for some cuts like little scratches covering may not be necessary while for some they may need to be covered for a couple of days).

For bigger or deeper cuts- you might need to pop to a pharmacy, walk in clinic etc to get them looked at a bit better and check there's no need for strips or anything to make sure they heal up fine. Cleaning will be much the same, but with a bit more emphasis on later cleaning (mostly keep covered, rinse and dry maybe some salt to prevent germs)

For really heavy bleeding, massive cuts, deep punctures or slashes etc- you may need to call 111/ 999, go to A&E etc Again much the same as with the deeper cuts with cleaning but potentially with antibiotic preventative measures and more emphasis again on longer term cleaning. Prehaps needing deeper cleans by nurses as it heals to prevent infection and check on healing.

Mostly it will just be a matter of cleaning out a cut with some clean water when it happens then either just keeping it visually clean or rinsing it every day with a bit of plain or salty water and drying it fully. Anything that seems more substantial and you get some medical help with they should tell you how to clean it.
One thing of note is that antiseptic wipes are not actually for cuts- they are for cleaning hands before dealing with cuts. If used on a cut they can actually hinder the healing process.

This link gives some more info on dealing with cuts and such
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cuts-and-grazes/
Thank you very much for all the info! Very informative and helpful ^-^
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 hours ago
Hi. Just read this. Do you mean you are regularly cutting yourself?
Jack065
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 hours ago
(Original post by markova21)
Hi. Just read this. Do you mean you are regularly cutting yourself?
Not as much now, gladly ^~^ I think I’ve gone almost a week without cutting though
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 hours ago
That's brilliant. One day at a time and all that.
(Original post by Jack065)
Not as much now, gladly ^~^ I think I’ve gone almost a week without cutting though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (161)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (86)
9.91%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (145)
16.71%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (124)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (84)
9.68%
How can I be the best version of myself? (268)
30.88%

Watched Threads