Bristol VS Exeter for Medicine Watch

akb2011
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone! I’m trying to decide which undergraduate Medicine course to firm between Bristol and Exeter. Does anyone have any advice/perspective on these universities generally, or specifically to do with Medicine at either place? Thank you so much
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Might be worth focusing a bit more on the kind of living you'd have in each city, as they're fairly different from what I've heard (I've never been to Bristol, but lived in Exe for ~5 years) and you'll be spending a long time (5-6 years) in the city and surrounding area. Exeter is quite small, while Bristol is larger and more cosmopolitan as I can tell. I believe Exeter medics are based on the St Lukes campus - so you won't be on the main campus if so (although it's not that far to walk up to there and there are buses a couple times an hour that go from the front of St Lukes, and more frequently from the city centre).

It might be worth also looking at how the clinical phase rotations are arranged - where will you be based on those? I believe for Exeter you might get rotated around the wider Devon area, but I could be wrong. It's possible this would be similar in Bristol. This might be something to consider if one is more centrally based throughout and the other you are moving around a bit more for rotations; if you like change the latter might be appealing, but if you prefer to stick around one place the former may be preferable.
akb2011
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Might be worth focusing a bit more on the kind of living you'd have in each city, as they're fairly different from what I've heard (I've never been to Bristol, but lived in Exe for ~5 years) and you'll be spending a long time (5-6 years) in the city and surrounding area. Exeter is quite small, while Bristol is larger and more cosmopolitan as I can tell. I believe Exeter medics are based on the St Lukes campus - so you won't be on the main campus if so (although it's not that far to walk up to there and there are buses a couple times an hour that go from the front of St Lukes, and more frequently from the city centre).

It might be worth also looking at how the clinical phase rotations are arranged - where will you be based on those? I believe for Exeter you might get rotated around the wider Devon area, but I could be wrong. It's possible this would be similar in Bristol. This might be something to consider if one is more centrally based throughout and the other you are moving around a bit more for rotations; if you like change the latter might be appealing, but if you prefer to stick around one place the former may be preferable.
Thanks for the response! Did you enjoy living in Exeter and would it be easy to get around the city, especially as buses between the two campuses are discontinued for the 2019/20 academic year?
Bristol has Clinical Academies based across the South West (including Somerset, Bath, Swindon etc.) whereas with Exeter I think the catchment area is within a closer radius in Devon and Somerset. Half of the year is transferred to Truro for clinical years.
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by akb2011)
Thanks for the response! Did you enjoy living in Exeter and would it be easy to get around the city, especially as buses between the two campuses are discontinued for the 2019/20 academic year?
Bristol has Clinical Academies based across the South West (including Somerset, Bath, Swindon etc.) whereas with Exeter I think the catchment area is within a closer radius in Devon and Somerset. Half of the year is transferred to Truro for clinical years.
Wow, they're dropping the outer leg of the D route? That's crap :/

In terms of getting around, you certainly can walk between the campuses, but since Exeter is all hills, it's not the most fun trip (and the city is generally not very cycleable as a result of that). Fortunately the St Lukes to Main Campus is the shallower side of the giant hill the uni is on (with many other smaller ones between). It's still a bit tedious to do daily (not bad for some light exercise though lol).

As for enjoyment of living there generally, I think that's pretty subjective. I liked moving there from a fairly rural area as I could actually like, do stuff, however my friends there that had moved from London hated how "quiet" and small it was comparatively. It definitely got stale as the years went on there, and I wasn't really sad to see the back of it when I moved away (sad to move away from some of my friends there, but that was basically my only connection to the location). Living now in Cambridge, another small-ish countryside city, I have to say comparatively Exeter was a lot worse; fewer things to do, much less cosmopolitan, not as nice living arrangements - however it is much cheaper than Cambridge lol (but it was still noticeably more expensive than Southampton, and I'm not sure it was any better than living there).

In terms of clinical locations, consider whether then you would want to potentially relocate to Cornwall for half the course; as I understand it's even smaller and more rural than Exeter is, even in the larger cities. Also, although I've never been to Truro, when we were setting up a radio telescope in Cornwall, driving down to that from Exeter was a nightmare because half the journey is tiny winding country roads. Not sure how good the rail links are, but you might be even more "isolated" down in Cornwall than in Exeter (and it is very far even just from Exeter). Consider then what travel arrangements might be like, whether it's important for you to go home a few times a year etc, and how easy that would be to do that. For some people, living in Cornwall is a dream come true - I know a few people who did courses on the Exeter Cornwall campus who loved it, being closer to nature, the sea and all that. But I can appreciate some people who like the conveniences of city living and connection to the larger world may find it stifling.

I don't know anything about Bristol or Somerset unfortunately :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads