Second referendum supporters, do you want "no-deal" to be left off the ballo Watch

ColinDent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Doones)
"Margin of error"

And even fewer want to Leave.
Still showing under 50% remain though and that is not enough to push for another Referendum

Edit: by the way, 2,000ish is a typical poll sample size.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...hip_referendum
Last edited by Doones; 1 week ago
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
Still showing under 50% remain though and that is not enough to push for another Referendum
Did a majority of the electorate want the original Referendum? Evidence?
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Well Dez if its immaterial then don't accuse me of something you are doing yourself, I 9nly held the mirror up to you and if you read and take in what was being said the first time you would not have to reread it. I don't have the patience to keep repeating myself because you don't have the ability to read properly.
You're the one who keeps dodging around issues, not me.

You talk like you know 100 what would happen in a no deal scenario and I just don't believe you do. You're opinions on no deal is yours but they are not fact and that's an important thing to remember.
It is very tricky to estimate just how bad a no deal brexit would be, since there's never been a time post-WW2 where the UK has not had any trade/collaboration with Europe whatsoever, there's just no real precedent for what would happen. It's abundantly clear that it would not be a good scenario, though. There's simply no chance of a positive outcome from it all.

I'm not changing any topic either, just because you don't understand what I'm saying does not mean I'm changing the subject! I don't condone election rules to being broken but we are where we are and under the current system (which I think should be changed) and we need to respect the system that we have. It might be an idea to have a look at abroad if you want to see real electoral cheating, to put some perspective on your argument.
I brought up the issue of leave breaking their spending limits, a violation of UK election law. You then tried to dodge around this by bringing up "telling lies" which is simply not relevant to the issue of spending limits.

You also seem to be caught in this strange doublethink whereby breaking electoral law is bad, but somehow the result of the referendum in which the law was broken is still good. I've honestly no idea how you can justify that, and you have continually avoided providing any reason for doing so in this thread.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The conservative party won an election standing on the promise of one, and that was a surprise too.
Now when talking evidence then the original poll we were talking about does clearly show that only 46% of those asked wish to remain, wether anyone else votes or not it simply doesn't change that fact, for a compelling argument to have another referendum you would need to be consistently showing that way over 50% wish to remain, and that would have to be an amount of everybody polled not just the ones you want to use to make a political point.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What relivance does that have?

There is no mandate either way and you have agreed that referendums are not the way forward anyway.
softwarefreak
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My overall point stands - polls are not a reliable source of data from which to make decisions affecting the lives and livelihoods of many people.

I can not go into schools/ colleges/ universities/ youth groups/ similar and promote STEM Apprenticeships/ FE courses/ HE courses/ Degrees to children, teenagers, young adults, governors, lecturers, parents and teachers on the basis of what the polls have predicted.

Parliamentary Democracy needs a good kick in the derrière!
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dez)
You're the one who keeps dodging around issues, not me.

It is very tricky to estimate just how bad a no deal brexit would be, since there's never been a time post-WW2 where the UK has not had any trade/collaboration with Europe whatsoever, there's just no real precedent for what would happen. It's abundantly clear that it would not be a good scenario, though. There's simply no chance of a positive outcome from it all.

I brought up the issue of leave breaking their spending limits, a violation of UK election law. You then tried to dodge around this by bringing up "telling lies" which is simply not relevant to the issue of spending limits.

You also seem to be caught in this strange doublethink whereby breaking electoral law is bad, but somehow the result of the referendum in which the law was broken is still good. I've honestly no idea how you can justify that, and you have continually avoided providing any reason for doing so in this thread.
I'm sorry I don't feel I have avoided anything.

I have been very clear I don't condone cheating, I think our system needs changing, I have never said the result of any election or referendum where cheating is involved is good, I said words to the effect of the people's wishes must be respected.

I don't think we will be in a no deal situation anyway, but I'm glad you admit you don't know what would happen if it did.

I'm not going to reply again because I believe you are being deliberately trying to antagonise because I'm not avoiding anything.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
The conservative party won an election standing on the promise of one, and that was a surprise too.
Now when talking evidence then the original poll we were talking about does clearly show that only 46% of those asked wish to remain, wether anyone else votes or not it simply doesn't change that fact, for a compelling argument to have another referendum you would need to be consistently showing that way over 50% wish to remain, and that would have to be an amount of everybody polled not just the ones you want to use to make a political point.
The Conservative party won a minority of the GE vote (37%).

You said it would need >50% to make a compelling case for a referendum. Was 37% a compelling case?
Last edited by Doones; 1 week ago
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

You said it would need >50% to make a compelling case for a referendum. Was 37% a compelling case?
You are really clutching at straws, GE are not worked out on proportions of the vote, PR was rejected by the Majority of the electorate in another referendum that has not worked.. .

In anycasr even if they did you're argument is weak, I voted Labour so based on that you are counting me as a remainer? Also how about adding UKIP and Conservatives votes together, it's all hairy fairy and pointless.

The referendum happened and we didn''t need it in the first place and certainty don't need another as we both agreed so what's you're point?
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd love to see the ballot just say 'You have voted Remain' and then start a youtube channel of all the folk storming out the booths and kicking off before getting tazed/dogged
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Yes because they stood on the promise of a referendum, and they won said election therefore had to go through with the promise.
Much like the lib dems stood on the promise to stop brexit in the last election, and failed miserably.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads