The Student Room Group

what a-levels to do to become an environment writer?

Hi everyone, so I'm hoping to one day be writing about the environment in places like the Ecologist and Guardian as well as smaller papers, and also writing my own novels and making documentaries- kind of similar to George Monbiot and Rob Macfarlane if you know them. I'm nearly finished with my first year of a-levels studying film, English lit, and history but I'm not sure if I want to carry on like this. I am considering fast tracking environmental science on top of these a-levels or dropping a subject. What do you think?
I think you're doing completely the wrong A levels for Environmental Science and that your best bet is probably to restart Year 12 in September doing more suitable subjects such as Biology, Chemistry Geography, Geology, Psychology or Environmental Studies. Look on Uni websites - Southampton require 2 relevant A levels, for example, whereas Birmingham Uni only require one.
Reply 2
Original post by polyturtle
Hi everyone, so I'm hoping to one day be writing about the environment in places like the Ecologist and Guardian as well as smaller papers, and also writing my own novels and making documentaries- kind of similar to George Monbiot and Rob Macfarlane if you know them. I'm nearly finished with my first year of a-levels studying film, English lit, and history but I'm not sure if I want to carry on like this. I am considering fast tracking environmental science on top of these a-levels or dropping a subject. What do you think?

You need to do at least one/two Science A-Level for Environmental Science. I recommend doing English Lit/History, Geography and Biology. Do look at the courses at different universities and see what they want. Hope this helps. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest