The Student Room Group

Becoming a Psychiatrist

After research, I have decided to try to become a psychiatrist. I know I have to do medicine at uni for this, but I'm not doing chemistry at A-Level. I have talked to some unis and they say I should do a degree in something science related and then either go for post graduate medicine or do the full 5 year undergraduate course as a mature student. I am willing to do these and the 8 years after required to become a full psychiatrist. What would be the best degree to take to have the best chance at getting into medicine after uni? Also, would it be necessary to do chemistry A-level at the same time as my degree or would I not need it after the degree? Can I do a psychology degree, as I think this would prepare me for psychiatry, but it is not a hard science so I'm not sure i will get in with this. Thanks
Original post by nyaat
After research, I have decided to try to become a psychiatrist. I know I have to do medicine at uni for this, but I'm not doing chemistry at A-Level. I have talked to some unis and they say I should do a degree in something science related and then either go for post graduate medicine or do the full 5 year undergraduate course as a mature student. I am willing to do these and the 8 years after required to become a full psychiatrist. What would be the best degree to take to have the best chance at getting into medicine after uni? Also, would it be necessary to do chemistry A-level at the same time as my degree or would I not need it after the degree? Can I do a psychology degree, as I think this would prepare me for psychiatry, but it is not a hard science so I'm not sure i will get in with this. Thanks

There are several medical schools which would accept you for standard entry medicine without chemistry. What are your other A levels? Have a look here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

Despite the similar sounding names, there isn't much overlap between psychiatry and psychology. If you're hoping to get into graduate entry medicine, a life sciences degree (biology, biomedical sciences, genetics etc) would actually give you the most options. You don't necessarily need A level chemistry to get into GEM - check the document I have linked above. More info on GEM here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/medicine/graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide
Ensure you know the difference between psychology and psychiatry.

As above. The best option is to try for undergraduate medicine.
I decided to become a psychiatrist in the second year of my first degree after I ended up loving my job in mental health. I agree with @nexttime that you should ensure you know the difference between it and psychology.

I would also encourage you to think carefully about why you want to do it - medicine is a very long process to get to there and whilst I still am committed to psych (final year medic now) it hasn't been easy, particularly with the stigma of psychiatry of "not being real medicine" or "medicine for people who aren't very good at it". Furthermore it's placed a lot of pressure on my relationships, finances and my sanity!

If it's mental health specifically you want to do there are many other valuable roles such as OT/RMN/PSychology etc. which may also be of interest to you. But ultimately, if you're absolutely committed to it I wouldn't do an undergrad in something else for the sake of it as there are still entry pathways into medicine without A level chem (I have 0 A levels!) which don't require you to do a full degree. Obviously it's too late to apply for September entry but a year out gaining insight into mental health would certainly make an application stand out in the next cycle.

Good luck and feel free to DM if you have any questions x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending